Sign in to follow this  
Brianl

Controllers needed when flying in P3D?

I intend to get a Samsung Odyssey+ when it becomes available in the UK. My PC is up to the challange according to Microsoft's on-line tester and I believe this as I have a recent high-spec PC running 3 1920x1080 HDMI displays. I use P3D to fly the same heli I use in real life at Beccles airfield, the Guimbal Cabri G2. One thing that might seem to spoil things with the Odyssey+ is the controllers, I hope that's not the case. Do you ever have to use them whilst in the cockpit? I need physical access to 3 control inputs while flying the helicopter (real or sim), the pedals the cyclic and the collective. The last 2 need both hands most of the time. Unlike fixed wing my helicopter has absolutely no stability when airborn and can't be trimmed for hands-off flight. The collective can be frictioned for a while to free my left hand a bit to handle the chart or radio/transponder/GPS inputs. But there's no way I could manage an Odyssey+ controller in both hands as well! So, do you only have to use the WMR controllers to "get the sim going and turn it off)"? If I had to use them during flight that would make things impossible.

All the best,

Brian

P3dv4 vr uses your std input controllers: Pedals, throttle/collective, joystick/cyclic. Then you should map common key strokes to buttons on these controllers (view recenter, landing lights, zoom, trim, etc.). 

As for interacting within the vc, you can use the mouse but you have to place it near by and learn to use it without looking at it.  Once get used to it, not an issue.

Helicopter sim in vr is quite nice, there’s sense of depth and distance so hovering low or flying between obstacles is much easier.  

Edited by kdfw__

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Thanks kdfw_. I'm happy with that. I'm well used to handling 'the mouse' in flight: it's a touchpad on my handy keyboard and useable with both hands (nearly) always on collective & cyclic. The only other possible problem on my mind is whether the Odyssey+ resolution will let me see the altimeter subscale by leaning forward towards the instrument panel. It would be nice to be able to change from QNH to QFE as I'm on downwind leg without having to zoom in manually on the panel - any thoughts on that?

All the best,

Brian

Using the p3d native vr, you can of course lean forward to read gauges.  

On the rift I can make out the subscale and tiny digits ok (am I going 144kts or 143 kts? it’s splitting hair), but I have 2 buttons on my stick to zoom in/out to read the rxp gns530 gauge on the helicopter. 

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS