Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

xEnviro 1.10 in Beta

Some of those pics look incredible (the ones on top of an.overcast layer with rolling clouds).  Some pics look terrible...  The clouds are low res and unrealistic.  I think it just proves that XP needs an entirely new weather engine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 1/18/2019 at 9:24 PM, Paraffin said:

I'm not plugging SkyMaxx. I've gone out of my way to say that, and to also say that I'm not currently using it after buying it. That's hardly an endorsement.

Hey, it sounds like this is the "second" time you have "gone out of your way" to defend it. Now think about that.

Wrong. I have an opinion about xEnviro, as someone who paid for the program, and it's not meeting my needs. That's not an "agenda." It's an opinion of someone who bought the add-on.

I agree...its your "opinion" about how "you can't live with xEnviro's..." that motivated your agenda in this thread.

You may have noticed that others here are also voicing their opinions about it, pro and con. That's how these forums work, unless you only want to see positive opinions?

....and thus you will continue with your agenda. Unfortunately, that's how forums work.

Sure, I see it all around me with various developers trying to approach improvements with add-ons in different ways.

I've also seen it in real life, in the businesses that I've run, which you know nothing about. So let's drop the ad-hominem in this discussion okay? And let's talk about these products and how they do or don't fit our individual needs in a flight sim.

You apparently don't know what the term "ad-hominem" means...so again, I agree, let's drop it.

I mean, I get that you see motivation all around you...and...in your businesses which I know nothing about. Now, given all of this that "you" put out there, do happen to see a glimpse of that saaaaaaaame "motivation" anywhere in what the Devs at xEnviro are trying to do???? 

Nothing wrong in discussing Pro's and Con's of a product.

XP wx needs a lot to be done and Wx implementation is very complex. The wind component is good but mostly overdone.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

5 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Some of those pics look incredible (the ones on top of an.overcast layer with rolling clouds).  Some pics look terrible...  The clouds are low res and unrealistic.  I think it just proves that XP needs an entirely new weather engine.

What you talk about has nothing to do with XP weather, and i think you didn't understand what a noise generated cloud is and how it is different from 2d crispy REX clouds or any other type of cloud addon we have seen since Flight Sim 1998 i think.
If you want to compare it, you need to compare it to clouds created with the same technique, which means TrueSky in FSW, clouds in Il-2 Sturmovik, Unigine, Outerra and so on. You can't compare apples with oranges.

Two video examples of what i meant, the difference compared to what the Flight Sim series and XP too until now showed us is evident i think.

Here you can even find a thesis someone did exacly on this things:

http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1223894/FULLTEXT01.pdf

• Like 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

That Unigine video...... I weep sadly when I see what our current sims look like in comparison to this 😪

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Those unigene clouds might be good as a theme but making it work according to the weather data might be a different story.  Probably good for other games. 

If LR codes in the particle system as a scenery thing then maybe we can get some amazing visuals , might be hard on the system but who knows.

Look at il2 volumetric clouds they are very good but again they are just normal generated ones without any weather data being injected.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

@HumptyDumpty

>Those unigene clouds might be good as a theme but making it work according to the weather data might be a different story.  Probably good for >other games.

CPU bound design concepts for flight simulation will be a thing of the past where it will possible to achieve this type implementation of clouds with better efficient use of the modern hardware that we are running on now. Better use of CPU cores and GPU technology newer modern api's that other game companies has been doing for years.

xEnviro is proof of what can be done in the short term.

>If LR codes in the particle system as a scenery thing then maybe we can get some amazing visuals , might be hard on the system but who >knows.

Again as stated above, that is purpose for LR moving X plane to Vulcan in the first place. Is is more than just trying to achieve high FPS performance numbers.

Bob

Edited by BobFS88

As it stands, X-Enviro is our only shot at a dramatically better weather depiction. Maybe something else will come up in 2020+, but for now, X-Enviro is it.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

11 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I agree, the clouds look very low res and unrealistic.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

On 1/20/2019 at 5:03 AM, france89 said:

What you talk about has nothing to do with XP weather, and i think you didn't understand what a noise generated cloud is and how it is different from 2d crispy REX clouds or any other type of cloud addon we have seen since Flight Sim 1998 i think.
If you want to compare it, you need to compare it to clouds created with the same technique, which means TrueSky in FSW, clouds in Il-2 Sturmovik, Unigine, Outerra and so on. You can't compare apples with oranges.

Two video examples of what i meant, the difference compared to what the Flight Sim series and XP too until now showed us is evident i think.

Here you can even find a thesis someone did exacly on this things:

http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1223894/FULLTEXT01.pdf

If XP could only find a find a way to implement these new technical code to their weather engine, Now; that would be sometime amazing.

Ben Thompson

I'm guessing weather and seasons among other things will be the main focus for the next iteration of XP. Wouldn't these be great selling points!

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 minute ago, CarlosF said:

I'm guessing weather and seasons among other things will be the main focus for the next iteration of XP. Wouldn't this be a great selling point!

CarlosF

I see LR as just putting in the ingredients in X plane while 3 party use those ingredients to create the visual effects and experience to WOW us.  

Bob

1 minute ago, BobFS88 said:

I see LR as just putting in the ingredients in X plane while 3 party use those ingredients to create the visual effects and experience to WOW us.  

It sure looks that way Bob. The fact that vulcan is being implemented may be the foundation LR needs so they can then add real time seasons (Austin mention will be integrated in the future) and better weather. We can only hope!

• Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

2 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

It sure looks that way Bob. The fact that vulcan is being implemented may be the foundation LR needs so they can then add real time seasons (Austin mention will be integrated in the future) and better weather. We can only hope!

That is absolutely correct.

We are call in the IT business the baseline.

Bob   

• Like 1

Well I bit the bullet and bought it last night, so 1.09 installed.

It is a little steep in terms of purchase price, but it seems to have a lot of potential. It's not perfect by any means but after a quick flight I experienced quite a few impressive moments. Coming from P3D and REX etc it is nice that you can just switch it off so easily :)