Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

New timelapse video was uploaded, looking quite great i think!

• Like 1

Convective clouds continue to be missed 😕

Not even some well developed cumulus congestus... 

13 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Convective clouds continue to be missed 😕

Not even some well developed cumulus congestus... 

You don't know what was going on in Corfù at the time of the recording, since this is real time weather 🙂

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, france89 said:

You don't know what was going on in Corfù at the time of the recording, since this is real time weather 🙂

Good point, and it would be great if that's the "culprit" 🙂

Anyway, should they be able to show something for a "thundery day" it would be great...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Really looks amazing. Would be nice to finally have a weather product in X-Plane that would blow you away, instead of Cartoon Cutout Cloud Product #305 and generic scripts to make default clouds look 2% less awful.

Hell, if it actually does other weather systems just as well, like thunderstorms, then it even got a leg up on the best P3D can offer.

Edited by Sethos1988
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sethos1988 said:

Really looks amazing. Would be nice to finally have a weather product in X-Plane that would blow you away, instead of Cartoon Cutout Cloud Product #305 and generic scripts to make default clouds look 2% less awful.

Hell, if it actually does other weather systems just as well, like thunderstorms, then it even got a leg up on the best P3D can offer.

I don't believe X-Plane can do a "real" thunderstorm until the underlying weather engine is re-written, maybe in XP12.

A towering CB is a discrete 3D weather system with updraft and downdraft circulation inside the storm. And there can be more than one CB strung out along a weather front.

The XP weather engine doesn't model vertical convection in clouds except as turbulence, or updrafts near mountain ranges. That part of the engine might be tapped by a 3rd party add-on, but there is nothing I've seen so far that allows a discrete 3D model of a CB as something "outside" the weather surrounding your plane. 

Same thing with storm fronts, which should be 3D models off in the distance that you approach with your plane, instead of something that just suddenly surrounds your plane in 360 degrees out to the horizon when a new METAR or proprietary real weather data is downloaded. 

xEnviro does some nice things with smoke and mirrors to hide the faults in the underlying weather engine, especially at high altitudes. SkyMaxx Pro does a good job at lower altitudes, especially in the mountains. But I don't think any add-on can push the envelope where it needs to be, until Laminar gets serious about rebuilding the weather engine from scratch. Or at least giving the tools to add-on developers to create real, fully 3-dimensional weather systems.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It seems not to be VR compatible. Count me out.

7 hours ago, GCBraun said:

It seems not to be VR compatible. Count me out.

Even though I fly VR most of the time, if this product is as good as the screenshots depict AND they truly do work on delivering in VR, then I will likely get it anyway myself. I do hope they can bring this to VR, especially when they bring forward season technology. This really would be excellent in VR.

• Like 1

It does look terrific. Just waiting on some feedback on performance. If its reasonably I am buying definitely. Even some performance hit is acceptable considering default clouds do the same 

There will be performance hit. From what i saw and what they tell in the video too, they reduced cloud details a bit to keep performance up.

This is something normal for such technology tho, if you check other sims using such tech you will see that the clouds look more or less similar in definition: Il2 Sturmovik, TrueSky, Outerra etc etc