Sign in to follow this  
twister1853

steps to repair fsx gold edition

Hello Jim,

Please could you permit me to return to this old post and, as I am no expert with going inside FSX, could you help me with a little more direction.

I have run FSX (Gold Edition with FSX Deluxe, SP1, SP2  and Acceleration) satisfactorily for years, with and without photo' scenery addons.  I also have addon aircraft and addon airports.  I recently tried the ORBX scenery addons and, whether or not this caused my current problems, I now have the default FSX scenery corrupted, even with ORBX completely un-installed.  The ORBX forum have been very helpful but I have now arrived at the stage where I have been advised to do a 'repair' of my FSX. 

I have read your above step by step guide for repairing FSX.   I now ask, does a repair leave all my addons (photo' scenery, aircraft and airports) intact in FSX, or do I have do a comnplete re-install of these addons ?

By the way, I have 'cloned' drive D containing FSX to drive F so as to have a copy of everything on drive D.  I'm assuming this does not cause any problem when running FSX.  Is this correct ?

Thank you.

Ray

I have split this into your own topic.  Doing the repair has no affect on your addons.  It will correct any default files and should restore your FSX.cfg to default.  Make a backup of that before you start.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, twister1853 said:

I now have the default FSX scenery corrupted, even with ORBX completely un-installed. 

Unfortunately, Orbx does not do a very good job of uninstalling.  They leave elevation files in the Scenery/World/Scenery and that makes your scenery look corrupted as Orbx continues to mess with the elevations.  As I recall you have to manually remove all of the Orbx files in Scenery/World/Scenery.  Look in that folder before you try any repair.

Charlie is correct with his response above but doubt it will remove any Orbx files leftover in Scenery/World/Scenery. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If using FTX Central, it has a option when it flags up all its airports/sceneries  that you have installed, to Uninstall them via FTX Central, if that is any help, as I have done it a few times.

Charlie,  Rick,  Jim  -  thanks a lot for the very prompt reply.

Charlie,  my photo' sceneries/aircraft/airports addons: are they indeed unaffected by a repair ?  I recently had the whole of drive C 'cloned' on to a drive F.  So, can I use this to extract a backup of fsx.CFG if required and why would I need such a backup ?

Jim,  I did not have the ORBX/FTX Global installed. So does this mean I should not have any Scenery/World/Scenery ?

Rick,  I also used FTX Central to un-install the UK ORBX Sceneries.

I'm nervous.  But here goes.  Wish me luck !!

Ray

A repair only affects corrupted default files.  After a Repair, your FSX.cfg will be back to were it was at installation.  No tweaks will be saved.

Good luck on the Repair!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

19 minutes ago, twister1853 said:

Forgot to ask,  inserting disk 1, then disk 2 and finally disk 3 does this re-install SP1, SP2 and Acceleration ?

Ray

SP1 and 2 are integrated into Acceleration.  I really wonder if Acceleration needs repairing!

Charlie Aron

1 hour ago, twister1853 said:

Jim,  I did not have the ORBX/FTX Global installed. So does this mean I should not have any Scenery/World/Scenery ?

I do not know what FTX Global is as I have never installed it before.  I was talking about areas such as Pacific Northwest, Northern and Southern California, Friday Harbor, Palm Springs, San Diego, Orcas Island, areas like that. If you do not see any files related to Orbx/FTX in the World/Scenery area then they were uninstalled.  For me I had to manually remove.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

19 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I do not know what FTX Global is as I have never installed it before.  I was talking about areas such as Pacific Northwest, Northern and Southern California, Friday Harbor, Palm Springs, San Diego, Orcas Island, areas like that....

FTX Global is similar to Ground Environment X by Flight 1. Essentially, FTX Global replaces the default set of land textures. As these then become the foundation & new 'default' textures for areas without any additional scenery addons, any more additional specific addon regions, such as PNW, Northern Callifornia, airports, etc. that are subsequently installed will take precedence and their respective region or airport textures will display instead of the FTX Global base textures which replaced the default set.

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

24 minutes ago, RustyFlyer said:

FTX Global is similar to Ground Environment X by Flight 1. Essentially, FTX Global replaces the default set of land textures. As these then become the foundation & new 'default' textures for areas without any additional scenery addons, any more additional specific addon regions, such as PNW, Northern Callifornia, airports, etc. that are subsequently installed will take precedence and their respective region or airport textures will display instead of the FTX Global base textures which replaced the default set.

Okay but they do not enter any files into Scenery/World/Scenery if they are replacing the default textures.  If you have any Orbx area files like the Pacific Northwest then you need to check Scenery/World/Scenery as they put their elevation files there.  Everything in Scenery/World/Scenery loads even if you do not want it to.

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim, thanks again for that.

I have in the past run Orbx Central Rockies, Northern Rockies and Pacific Fiords in FSX.  So I have checked as you have advised, FSX Scenery/World/Scenery looking for files with initials CRM, NRM and PFJ (Nick Cooper advised to look for these initials) and there lots of files but none with these initials.  So I hope this means there is no Orbx material there.

Ray

Sounds like you have it cleared of Orbx/FTX.  I just brought it to your attention as you indicated you had Orbx Scenery installed and you uninstalled it and things were still corrupted.  You state there are a lot of files but none with those initials.  For a default install, it should look something like the following.  As you can see there are not many in there.

World_Scenery.thumb.png.79b122aa758a3068d985c2ad2b860929.png

As I recall the files show the word elevation in the file names.  Note that default files are dated 2006 and any add-on files would be dated later. 

Submit News to AVSIM

Hello Jim,

My Scenery/World/Scenery folder shows most of the files you've given here. 

If these are default files, then should I leave them alone and not delete any of them before the FSX Repair ?

Thanks.

Ray

Yes, leave them as they are default.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:27 AM, twister1853 said:

I have run FSX (Gold Edition with FSX Deluxe, SP1, SP2  and Acceleration) satisfactorily for years, with and without photo' scenery addons.

Just want to make sure you understand the Gold Edition includes FSX Deluxe, SP1, and Acceleration.  No SP2 as SP2 is the freeware version of Acceleration.  If you install SP2 with Acceleration you will have lots and lots of problems.

When you do a repair, like Charlie stated, you will replace the default files.  The dll.xml (located in the same folder as fsx.cfg), is NOT a default file so it will load with the new installation and, the dll.xml is known to be the cause of a lot of crashes and problems with FSX.  So, you might want to rename the dll.xml to dll.off and exe.off before restarting your sim after you have done the repair.  Whenever I have issues with FSX, I simply rename the fsx.cfg to fsx.off, dll.xml to dll.off, and scenery.cfg to scenery.off and restart the sim.  This usually fixes the issue as the problem is normally caused by one of these files.

Submit News to AVSIM