Sign in to follow this  
twister1853

steps to repair fsx gold edition

Jim, thank you for that.

A couple of points before starting the repair:

1.  Do I just run Disc 1 and Disc 2 during repair, and not run Disc 3 (acceleration expansion pack).

2.  Do I need SP2 ?

3.  What do you mean by "exe.off" ?

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

dll.xml to dll.off and exe.off before restarting your sim after you have done the repair.  Whenever I have

I have "cloned" drive D (containing FSX) to drive F.  So I have a backup of FSX.

Ray

Just in case it's Jim's nap time:rolleyes:

1.  I don't think Acceleration is the problem, in fact, I would recommend uninstalling Acceleration before starting the repair.  Reinstall after running disc 1 and 2.

2.  Acceleration contains the equivalent of SP1 and SP2.

3.  Renaming something like dll.xml to dll.xml_off will keep the file safe for further use as is.  Just change the name back to dll.xml.  Same goes for the .exe file.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Running a repair will default FSX to factory state. It does not know weather or not you have addons or not, Or what to save or not, make back-ups of your addons and reinstall them once the sim is working normally Again.

Berlopez

Hello Charlie,

Many thanks for your interest and help.  A couple of points:

1.  How do I un-install "acceleration" ?

2.  Did Jim mean exe.xml when he said exe.off ?

3.  When I do a FSX Repair, will all my addons and photo' sceneries still be there in the repaired FSX ? This is important to me.

Regards.

Ray

I would hope uninstalling Acceleration is as easy as going to Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs and scrolling down the items until you come to FSX Acceleration and click on "Remove".  I don't have Acceleration but that's where I uninstall my SP2 then SP1 before I try to Repair my version of FSX.

I think that's what Jim meant about the exe.off!

I have never lost any addon scenery or aircraft from doing a Repair.  They stay put.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Yes, just click on Microsoft Flight Simulation X:  Acceleration.

Yes, I meant the exe.xml should be changed to exe.off to disable it.  It may not be in the directory as many developers no longer use it.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

In my set up in Control Panel I have Microsoft Flight Simulation: Acceleration. I do not have an acceleration entry by its self Maybe my set up is wrong. I have a running copy of FSX\Acc. In a external HD, Just in case. Maybe that's why I don't have both installations FSX and Acceleration in my Control Panel, I am not sure. I can only say my sim works fine.

berlopez  

Edited by Berlopez
More info.

Hello,

what you see is correct.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by nolonger

1 hour ago, Berlopez said:

In my set up in Control Panel I have Microsoft Flight Simulation: Acceleration. I do not have an acceleration entry by its self Maybe my set up is wrong. I have a running copy of FSX\Acc. In a external HD, Just in case. Maybe that's why I don't have both installations FSX and Acceleration in my Control Panel, I am not sure. I can only say my sim works fine.

berlopez  

When you uninstall "Acceleration", the entry in the Add/Remove program will change to Microsoft Flight Simulator X. 

In my case I have two separate entries using a commercial addon called IObit Uninstaller which does a lot more than the Add/Remove Program.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for all the replies.

In my Windows 8.1, Microsoft Flight Simulator X : acceleration is found at Control Panel>all Control Panel Items>Programs and Features, from where acceleration can be un-installed.

Ray

Jim nolonger and Twister1853: Thank you for your replies.

I own Legacy from feelthere and as most owners know it lost it's landing/taxi light when SP2 was published I installed once FSX by itself and the lights showed but then once I installed SP2 they dissapered and they came out with a socall fix which only made the light shine on the fuselage of the plane. Don't understand how come they develope models after that with working lights,but they cannot fix those of Legacy?

As I write above my installation Works fine, before I do a complete reinstall things have to go terribly wrong.

Berlopez

Jim and Charlie, hello again,

Your advice needed again :

Repair to FSX done !  Before re-starting the sim, as was suggested, I re-named the following :

dll.xml  to  dll.off     exe.xml  to  exe.off    fsx.cfg  to  fsx.off     scenery.cfg  to  scenery.off

I have now re-started the sim.

Question 1 :  do I now have to put the above 4 "re-names" back to what they were originally ?

Question 2 :  I un-installed FSX acceleration before the repair.  Do I now re-install FSX acceleration so as to get SP1 and SP2 ?

Thanks.

Ray

Are those files now sitting next to or near the newly created files?  I would probably cut each of them, one at a time, paste it to my desktop, rename it correctly. then paste back to where it belongs saying "Yes" to overwriting what's there.

For future reference, please forget about SP1 and SP2 since you have Acceleration.  If all is good with the Repair, now install Acceleration and activate it.

Charlie Aron

2 hours ago, twister1853 said:

Question 2 :  I un-installed FSX acceleration before the repair.  Do I now re-install FSX acceleration so as to get SP1 and SP2 ?

Before reinstalling acceleration, start up FSX one time.  Fly the default flight.  Shutdown.  Install Acceleration.  Run the sim with Acceleration installed.  No crashes or other issues?  If none, look below.

2 hours ago, twister1853 said:

Question 1 :  do I now have to put the above 4 "re-names" back to what they were originally ?

You renamed fsx.cfg, scenery.cfg, dll.xml and exe.xml.  I would not use them unless you absolutely need them.  The fsx.cfg has to be edited to add the following line in the Graphics section:  highmemfix=1.  You can use the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide to change the settings of your config. 

You have add-on scenery so rename the scenery.off back to scenery.cfg and delete the one made when you reinstalled FSX.  Run FSX and make sure it runs properly.

Last, rename the dll.off to dll.xml and the exe.off to exe.xml.  Restart sim and make sure there are no crashes or other issues.  If not. you should have made a successful repair.

• Like 1

Submit News to AVSIM