Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Two strange issues with fuel and engines

I know this is a robust aircraft so these problems are probably of my own making but they have me foxed.

1) From a C&D setup I power up systems and start the engines. Both show idle power. If I move the left throttle forwards I can see N2 increase. If I do the same on the right throttle N2 on the right engine stays unchanged. But the throttle in the cockpit is physically moving so I know the binding to FSUIPC is okay. So why won’t engine 2 spool up when power is applied?

2) I gave up on the C&D startup and selected the aircraft after having switched to the Cub. Both engines running. Great. I line up and take-off. A/T is engaged but I decide to cancel it and engage manual control. At that point both engines lose all power. I cannot restart them and I close the sim before the aircraft nosedives into the sea.

What have I done wrong?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I know this is a robust aircraft so these problems are probably of my own making but they have me foxed.

1) From a C&D setup I power up systems and start the engines. Both show idle power. If I move the left throttle forwards I can see N2 increase. If I do the same on the right throttle N2 on the right engine stays unchanged. But the throttle in the cockpit is physically moving so I know the binding to FSUIPC is okay. So why won’t engine 2 spool up when power is applied?

2) I gave up on the C&D startup and selected the aircraft after having switched to the Cub. Both engines running. Great. I line up and take-off. A/T is engaged but I decide to cancel it and engage manual control. At that point both engines lose all power. I cannot restart them and I close the sim before the aircraft nosedives into the sea.

What have I done wrong?

For 1st case. Delete FSUIPC.ini file and let the sim rebuild a new one. This behavior usually ties to fsuipc.ini corruption.

For n2. Check that any of the controls you use is not also assigned to mixture cut off.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Hi Ray

Here's my C+D with the 737NGX and works each time.

Before the GSX push-back, I make sure the APU is up and running and that the APU switch is illuminated as powering the aircraft. I also make sure that the APU Bleed Air is on. Then Isolation Switch moved to middle.

The NGX has two options to start the engines, 1 and 2, IIRC. I select either and then start Eng 2 , turn the #2 Engine Fuel Cut-Off on(upwards), and wait for it to spool up. Once GSX has disconnected from the push-back, I do the same with Engine #1 and have never experienced any spool-up issues. I then go through flaps setting, etc, etc

PM me if any probs tonight when I am at the sim PC.

Edited by vc10man

16 minutes ago, Olympic260 said:

For 1st case. Delete FSUIPC.ini file and let the sim rebuild a new one. This behavior usually ties to fsuipc.ini corruption.

For n2. Check that any of the controls you use is not also assigned to mixture cut off.

That seems a rather extreme solution. I use other aircraft with button commands assigned to them. I’d lose all those settings. I don’t want to have to program all those again. I might look at the ini and edit out anything for the PMDG737.

For the second I didn’t touch any levers, switches or buttons on my hardware. I just switched off A/T Arm.

I’ve been using FSUIPC for years with other aircraft including FSL Concorde and never come across this type of problem. With respect it seems PMDG737 is not compatible with FSUIPC, not the other way around.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Hi Ray

Here's my C+D with the 737NGX and works each time.

Before the GSX push-back, I make sure the APU is up and running and that the APU switch is illuminated as powering the aircraft. I also make sure that the APU Bleed Air is on. Then Isolation Switch moved to middle.

The NGX has two options to start the engines, 1 and 2, IIRC. I select either and then start Eng 2 , turn the #2 Engine Fuel Cut-Off on(upwards), and wait for it to spool up. Once GSX has disconnected from the push-back, I do the same with Engine #1 and have never experienced any spool-up issues. I then go through flaps setting, etc, etc

PM me if any probs tonight when I am at the sim PC.

Thanks Rick. I’m following the steps in a checklist document provided by another user. The APU is definitely running and GND power is disconnected.

Might just be a glitch. I’ll try again tomorrow or Sunday. Busy weekend.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Rick. I’m following the steps in a checklist document provided by another user. The APU is definitely running and GND power is disconnected.

Might just be a glitch. I’ll try again tomorrow or Sunday. Busy weekend.

No probs, pal. Hope you get it sorted out by then.

Have a great weekend.

12 minutes ago, vc10man said:

No probs, pal. Hope you get it sorted out by then.

Have a great weekend.

Thanks Rick. You too. 😊

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That seems a rather extreme solution. I use other aircraft with button commands assigned to them. I’d lose all those settings. I don’t want to have to program all those again. I might look at the ini and edit out anything for the PMDG737.

Temporarily move the file out of the directory. If it solves the issue, then you'll need to either rebuild it, or put it back and look into your settings for the NGX and make them work.

If not, put it back.

Kyle Rodgers

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Temporarily move the file out of the directory. If it solves the issue, then you'll need to either rebuild it, or put it back and look into your settings for the NGX and make them work.

If not, put it back.

I have some assignments for all aircraft including Mixture. I'm going to delete that one and instead switch them to a profile for each aircraft but exclude the 737. Hopefully that will fix it. I've used FSUIPC for a loong time so am familiar with how it works.

Thanks Kyle.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

FSUIPC is extremely powerful... both in helping and in corrupting.

this behaviour you have explained is 99% happening due to a misconfigured FSUIPC. it happens SO easily that you miss something, a wrong check mark, a missed one, a double assigned axis, forgot to check airplane specific at some point... aaaand so on. As long as you aren‘t Peter D. himself I doubt that you (as anyone of us either) fully understands the internals of FSUIPC. I have crashed and killed that ini so often, I can‘t count it anymore. Move it out of the modules folder, just as Kyle and Chris adviced and check the airplane. If it‘s ok, you can look for the 3 737 sections in the ini and completely delete them (everything with 737 in the [ ] brackets. Then you can use this ini again and recreate your 737 settings. If it gets messed up again, you‘re probably better adviced to use a completely new file. That‘s FSUIPC as it is... 

Marc, I appreciate your post but it’s strange that none of my other aircraft suffer from corruption problems, just the 737NGX.

I will remove all the global axis assignments plus button commands from the ini and assign them to individual aircraft using discrete profiles. Then I’ll build a new one for each including the 737NGX.

One thing I didn’t mention was the use of ChasePlane for views. When assigning views to the NumPad keys there is a warning of clashes with P3D commands. Do others have the same issue and if so, how do you deal with it?

I don’t recall pressing any of those keys before the engines spooled down so it could be unrelated.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

One thing I didn’t mention was the use of ChasePlane for views. When assigning views to the NumPad keys there is a warning of clashes with P3D commands. Do others have the same issue and if so, how do you deal with it?

I delete the keyboard keys that I use for chaseplane in p3d so that there is no conflict. 

1 hour ago, ph-cxz said:

I delete the keyboard keys that I use for chaseplane in p3d so that there is no conflict. 

I’ll do the same, thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I edited my fsuipc5.ini and just removed the Mixture axis from the PMDG737 entry. I then flew LEMG-LIRF taking nearly 2 hours and the only problems I had were:-

VNAV issues but I'll put those down to inexperience using the FMC. I know the basics but not the extras this aircraft has.

I have ChasePlane and pressed the right arrow key (on the block of four on the keyboard) to move my viewpoint towards the Co-pilot instruments. Big mistake! LNAV was cancelled and the aircraft did a bug turn. I'll leave those keys alone and setup some more CP views.

No engine problems I'm pleased to report. Maybe that Mixture lever was a factor. A few more flights should confirm that. The reason I didn't want to delete fsuipc5.ini and start afresh is if it had sorted the problem I wouldn't have known what cured it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

...Big mistake! LNAV was cancelled and the aircraft did a bug turn...

Well then definitely something was assigned to that arrow key, along with a command for CP.

You really have to make sure there are no conflicting assignments between CP and the sim ...