Sign in to follow this  
737Andi

Engine Fire

Hello,

I'm looking for a decent tutorial on youtube explaining how to produce and deal with an engine fire.
So far I was even too stupid to produce a smoking engine via the PMDG Actions menu in the CDU.

Thank you!

Best regards Andreas

• Step 1: Go into the failure menu via the FMC and set up an engine fire.
  • Step 2: Follow the QRH to deal with an engine fire.

Not really sure I understand the issue. If you're expecting visual effects, it's not going to happen. Given that PMDG has a licensing agreement with Boeing, I seriously doubt that Boeing would like that very much.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

If you want to see an engine on fire then treat yourself to the CaptainSim B707.  Unlike the new QOTSII 747/-8 that aircraft is actually old enough to smoke!  😂

Edited by berts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not worried about visual effects as can't see in cockpit anyway. What are the actual consequences of not dealing with the engine fire in a PMDG plane? When the alarm goes off is the engine still producing full power? If you turn off the alarm and ignore the fire will the engine break down eventually or will it keep motoring on with no other systems being affected enabling you to fly and land with nothing except that warning and a note in the CDU failures section that needs clearing? 

Simply... Does that fire actually do any damage to the working of the planes? 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

I expect you'll first experience asymmetrical thrust.  If you are looking for things exploding and engines falling off... no, that's not simulated.  The only design intent of having failures is to make stepping through the abnormal procedures as real as can be as far as indications go... there's no actual damage simulated yet.  Maybe the new NG will the brake heat and tires going flat feature.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

28 minutes ago, downscc said:

I expect you'll first experience asymmetrical thrust

Thanks for answering! Will I experience AT as above BECAUSE the engine fire will degrade engine performance or because I used the fuel cut off switch? What I am getting at is ...does an engine fire itself have any consequences if you ignore it? If left running and fire continues will engine lose power then stop altogether BECAUSE of the fire? I'm sure if left running other areas IRL would be affected such as loss of wing hydraulics (slats/flaps/ailerons) due to pressure lines burning through. That would require a complete damage model plane wide with failing systems having knock on effect on other local systems. 

All I'm asking is does the 'fire' in the engine do anything EXCEPT set the alarm off? No consequence if left as is with fuel left on and squibs untouched?

Edited by sloppysmusic

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

10 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Will I experience AT as above BECAUSE the engine fire will degrade engine performance or because I used the fuel cut off switch? What I am getting at is ...does an engine fire itself have any consequences if you ignore it? If left running and fire continues will engine lose power then stop altogether BECAUSE of the fire?

Why not try it in the QOTS II and see for yourself! 

However, if you are asking what will happen in real life then it all depends on the type of engine failure and why the Fire warning came on in the first place.  An Engine Fire Warning is potentially very serious in flight and that is why the checklist for handling it is committed to memory, actioned as soon as it is safe to do so and then the pilots actions are double checked against the QRH to make sure they have handled everything correctly.

Each Engine Fire Warning is normally a dual loop system on modern aircraft and so it is relatively rare to get a false warning, but it can happen; for example if the two loops are shorted out for any reason.  Sometimes an engine will stop producing thrust due to a severe failure which causes damage outside of the engine core and this damage might bring on the Fire Warning. Other times the Fire Warning will come on but the engine will continue to deliver full thrust until the pilots carry out the appropriate Engine Fire/Severe Failure checklist and cut off the fuel. In the worst case scenario the Fire Warning might continue even after the engine has been shut down and the fuel has been cut off.

Every case is different, but the most important thing of all is to get the aircraft safely back on the ground sooner or later, because any fire in the air can soon turn into a disaster if it is not extinguished..          

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, berts said:

Why not try it in the QOTS II and see for yourself!

I will but I'm doing the NGX failures right now I just reckoned the principles would be the same. I was wondering if the failures went any further than just warning you in the sim rather than actually simulating the failure. For example I'm flying the 737 right now with failures RANDOM 11 in 10 with no limit set.

I have 2 failures showing in CDU.

1) B SYS QTY REFILL REQ

and

2) ADF R FAIL

BUT...there is nothing in the flight deck I can see that suggest anything is wrong. The ADF failure I will look into, didn't know there WAS an ADF right, as only one tuner on the pedestal.

Plus my hydraulic Q on the Center DU shows 80 HYD Qx 100...so the quantity is actually full on B and a little low on A?

ahhh

Now I have EMDP B HYD LEAK showing in CDU but HYD PRESSURE is still showing fine on DU?

I will get back to you as things might get busy here....IF anything is actually wrong with the plane and they are not just CDU random warnings....

EDIT NOW the right quantity is dropping ...at 91 now so its just that the refill message was a bit premature!

In know this is 737 I'm wondering if the standby hyd pressure system will be affected as its driven by the B system? (EDIT it IS - FLT control standby B now has low pressure and yaw damper no longer selectable) I cant find anything in the QRH about what to do if there is a leak so am going to turn the b pumps off see if it stops level from dropping.

EDIT Turning pumps off obviously dropped pressure to 0 but the leak has stopped.

As the leak is slow about 1 PSI a minute I will turn pumps back on for approach so all systems including standby will be available for landing.

Sorry this is in wrong forum!

Edited by sloppysmusic
update info

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

4 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Sorry this is in wrong forum!

Now you tell us!

5 hours ago, berts said:

Now you tell us!

Well I figured the failure logic would be the same across all of their planes...I did say so at the start of my long post!

ALL information is useful no matter how or where you get it!

😄

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK