Sign in to follow this  
dylan33

Very disappointed by the Carenado FA50

Hello, I just wanted to give you my opinion about this aircraft I bought two weeks ago. I did about 25-30 flight with it... And sorry, but carenado really did a very very poor add-on !!

I have nothing to say about the textures, they're perfect, but the navigation is just horrible !!!

I noticed a lot of problems, they are not all listed but here are the major ones :

● The DCT function don't work properly. The plane will turn to align itself on the route between the chosen point and the previous point. It looks exactly like the basic GPS, it's not realistic at all.

● When you want to do a direct, the wayepoint at the top of the page is hidden by dashes, and impossible to selec itt. You have to go to LEGS, delete a previous point so that it can reappear in the list. (but the next one will disappear in the same way)

190118093359885604.png

● Pages 1 and 3 of PERF calculate the Fuel Flow only with two engines. Despite the patch 1.1 a few days ago on page 2 which now displays all 3 engines, they have botched the job...

● On the PFD, MFD and FMC, the waypoint sometimes locks onto a previous wayepoint, although the aircraft continues to follow the route. I have to do a DCT several times on the newt WPT during a flight to fix the problem.

190118093359820352.png

● When choosing an arrival procedure, you have to select the type of approach (ex RNAV), then the transition, and finally the STAR. If you choose the STAR and then the type of approach, the star will disappears from the flight plan. 

● The LNAV has very poor management of tight turns. Tight turns are always overshooted, so sometimes it's hard to align with the final approach.

● The MFD very often displays a completely wrong distance and time to the next wayepoint. It's hard to prepare the arrival or to know where I am in my route. e.g. :

190118093400172156.png

● Even if it is not heavy, it has difficulties to climb above FL330.

● The range is well below than the real aircraft performances

Finally, I'm very very disappointed by Carenado. I was looking for this plane since a long time.

With all these problems it's complicated to anticipate the aircraft's behavior. It's also difficult to fly online on IVAO. It's impossible to navigate correctly.

It's impossible that the Carenado development teams didn't notice all of this, or they didn't test their aircraft before putting it up for sale.

I don't know if they will fix these problems, probably never, but for the moment I've lost ~40€.Okay, it's a very beautiful aircraft, but it's just a toy that doesn't work properly

Edited by dylan33
  • Like 3

Thanks for taking the time to share this information.

I can't say I'm surprised. 

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I agree. The bird is gorgeous, but the systems representation is one of the worst I've ever seen coming out of Carenado. I'm used to the little Carenado quirks in their other releases (cabin pressure issues, etc), but the AP and 'improved proline' is so terrible it's probably giving me cancer.

• Like 2

Well that's Carenado for you. IMO they should stick to single engine props because they can't do anything realistic beyond that. All of their jets are mostly a default aircraft dressed up in fancy clothes.

If you want a Falcon that actually functions, I would recommend the Flysimware Falcon. Doesn't look perfect but it flies like a dream.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Pineapple_Wizard said:

I would recommend the Flysimware Falcon. Doesn't look perfect but it flies like a dream.

Actually Flysimware now has a texture artist who is doing some really nice work on the Falcon 50, looks great from the VC preview shots! The exterior has always looked good.

Edited by MartinRex007

If you have the F1 GTN750, you can replace the navigation.  I did it and now I LOVE this Falcon 50.  It is perfect!....no, it's better than perfect!!

Spoiler

• Like 1

It is too bad and very disappointing to most flight simmers that Carenado just doesn't get it when it comes to their "Glass Cockpit" aircraft especially with the Proline system that includes their not so functional FMS. This has become a very ugly track record for this vendor and it is unfortunate because they do put together very lovely modern aircraft. For that reason, to make this business jet functional, the Flight 1 GTN 750 mod is an unfortunate must even though it does not seem to be a reality in the real world Falcon 50 EX cockpit--from what I gather. I will continue to stay with Carenado's "Old School" cockpit aircraft as they seem to excel system wise and I do enjoy them a lot.

Even though the "competitor's" Falcon 50 is an old school cockpit version with the option for the GTN 750, I will continue to stay with it--great systems & support, continued updates and most of all improving interior textures. Eventually, this vendor may give Carenado a good run for their money!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, raymie said:

Eventually, this vendor may give Carenado a good run for their money!

Eventually? Lol. Carenado folks are 3D modeler/texture artists, nothing more. They have no idea what theyre doing with flight/systems model or sound. The fact that they think their less than half baked products are worth $40-$50 is laughable. Haven’t bought anything from them in years and I’m suprised ppl still do. Sorry I realize that’s harsh but I also feel like it’s fair criticism with how much they charge $$ The FSW FA50 is great! 

Edited by HighFlyer310
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

1 hour ago, HighFlyer310 said:

They have no idea what theyre doing with flight/systems model or sound. 

Even if they would have an idea : I think it's their business model. Many customers don't care about systems or don't notice it (and write about it here). They just enjoy flying around with a beautiful model. A  "legitimate" way to enjoy the hobby.

In the same time Carenado would need to get systems/sounds/autopilot right for one particular model, they can create another model. If you look at that in terms of sales numbers and the mass of planes they offer, it probably wins. 

Edited by mikealpha
  • Upvote 1

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

8 hours ago, mikealpha said:

Even if they would have an idea : I think it's their business model. Many customers don't care about systems or don't notice it (and write about it here). They just enjoy flying around with a beautiful model. A  "legitimate" way to enjoy the hobby.

In the same time Carenado would need to get systems/sounds/autopilot right for one particular model, they can create another model. If you look at that in terms of sales numbers and the mass of planes they offer, it probably wins. 

Sure. My point is how they set their pricing. Its ridiculous how much they ask for such shallow modeling. But if they’re still generating sales I guess you can’t blame them. 

• Upvote 1

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

16 hours ago, raymie said:

...the Flight 1 GTN 750 mod is an unfortunate must even though it does not seem to be a reality in the real world Falcon 50 EX cockpit--from what I gather.

I have both Falcon 50s and don't see the difference between using the GTN750 with FSW or using the GTN750 with Carenado.

I really didn't mind the Proline system that much (I left it on some paints) and was actually getting used to it, even with its shortcomings, but I'm totally head over heels with this beautiful Carenado Falcon 50 along with the new built-in GTN system mod.

Both Falcon 50s have great flight modelling and handfly beautifully.

• Upvote 1

I gave up on Carenado a long time ago.  Sorry to hear about your trouble, but I don't understand why people keep rewarding this developer.  The bad reputation keeps piling on, yet folks still buy the stuff and keep them in business.  Why? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

5 hours ago, HighFlyer310 said:

But if they’re still generating sales I guess you can’t blame them. 

1 minute ago, Anxu00 said:

I don't understand why people keep rewarding this developer.  The bad reputation keeps piling on, yet folks still buy the stuff and keep them in business.  Why? 

One reason they are generating sales is because topics like this (even with honest truthful facts) have usually gotten deleted. This is mainly because they have turned into back n forth disagreement and then dishonesty or snarky comments invade. Another reason is we have lots of newcomers to flight simulation, and they simply don't know any better. But also, Carenado fills the GA gap to the brim with tons of beautiful looking choices, that aren't unpleasant to behold. Many of us know the lacking in the systems and speak out, but without any consequence or result. 

I hope this topic and others will serve to make Carenado raise their own bar, or suffer the consequences of more topics like this (that remain active and popular, with honesty and truth). Well thought out, well laid out. This way the word gets out and a reputation can become wide spread - It will be up to developers what kind of reputation they have.

I also hope we can all play a part in compelling greater customer care (quality and value) from all developers, and also exhibit a level of care in how we communicate to one another, for the benefit of the whole community.

I have the Carenado C152, C337, B200, and of course the A36 & Commander 114 that come with P3D 4.3 & 4.4 - This is my personal limit until Carenado has proven to reform, and greatly improve, their approach to systems modeling, or until they have a 90% off sale.

1 hour ago, Anxu00 said:

I gave up on Carenado a long time ago.  Sorry to hear about your trouble, but I don't understand why people keep rewarding this developer.  The bad reputation keeps piling on, yet folks still buy the stuff and keep them in business.  Why? 

A few days after the release I asked someone who had just bought it for his opinion, he told me that the plane was very successful. 

I also found a forum where someone said that the plane was a great success. 

I buy very few planes because I always want to invest in quality aircraft, and it's the first time à bought a Carenado add-on. I knew a little about Carenado's reputation, but as I had been waiting for this plane since a long time., I didn't hesitate any more and I bought it quickly based on first feedbacks.

Unfortunately I noticeed that many people can be satisfied and appreciate planes with lots of bugs. Even today we still see very positive opinions about it. They're probably people who are not looking for realism and who who settle for crumbs.

I don't think that I'm exigent, but when I spend 40€ I consider that it must work properly. If there were just a few rare bugs, it would not have been a problem. But as I said before, it's impossible that the developers didn't notice that. However they put this add-on on sale. They make fun of us.