Sign in to follow this  
Bina

New Maps for LNM (update #4)

Hi, sorry, maybe I'm too stupid... I use the slippy maps from openflightmaps in AviTab. I'd like to use them in LittleNavMap, too. But this whole DGML stuff seems complicated. Has anybody done this and can help me?

Any suggestions for av maps of Mexico?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I was just told about this in another thread. Its an amazing gift to us, thank you very much. Having Google Terrain & VFR charts in LNM is awesome!

On 1/18/2019 at 11:53 PM, Bina said:

Captains,

I don't know if you have been using them already, but I have made a bunch of new maps for LNM, which make some widely popular map and chart data accessible from LNM. I think you'll find them useful too.

To install the maps, download and unzip the file, then copy and paste the folder data found inside it to the location where you have your copy of LNM installed. Say yes to overwrite, when asked. You'll find my maps in a drop-down list of available maps, below all other ones and marked Custom, as shown on the image below.

1EBMHz1.jpg

Maps included:

• Google Maps (Default)
  • Google Maps (Satellite)
  • Google Maps (Terrain)
  • U.S. VFR Sectionals
  • U.S. IFR Enroute Low
  • U.S. IFR Enroute High
  • U.S. IFR Area Charts
  • U.S. Terminal Area Charts (TAC)
  • U.S. Helicopter Route Charts

Disclaimer: All map data is provided free of charge and publicly accessible.

Enjoy!

Hi Bina,

now that we have MSFS2020 it would be nice to have the Bing maps for LNM.

Kind regards,
Stefan

Intel Core i7-11700F, mainboard MSI MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7D19), 32 GB DDR4 SDRAM, RTX3070, no OC for CPU, RAM or GPU, XMP off. MS Store version, default installation path on a 1 TB NVMe 4x 8 GT/s

1 hour ago, EDDB2020 said:

now that we have MSFS2020 it would be nice to have the Bing maps for LNM.

I've just had a look at the spec of the tile system for Bing Maps here.  It's well documented, but I don't think the logic it uses would be supported by Marble, which is what drives LNM's map.   It doesn't really keep with the concept of zoom levels with row and column addresses that other mapping services have.  Instead, it divides the world up into a series of ever-smaller grids and "builds" the number of a grid tile iteratively.   It actually seems more akin to the old Kriegsmarine grid system.

Maybe I'm wrong and it can be done if you understand the underlying framework a bit more, perhaps @albar965 could comment on that quickly when he gets time.   But I'm not optimistic. 

Just now, albar965 said:

I already looked at the Bing maps spec some time ago. Marble needs the slippy map layout.
Adapting Marble to this looks is close to impossible.

Alex

@albar965 & @kaosfere

Mmmh, now I remember, I think you've mentioned that in the x-plane forum already.

Thanks anyway.

Stefan

Intel Core i7-11700F, mainboard MSI MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7D19), 32 GB DDR4 SDRAM, RTX3070, no OC for CPU, RAM or GPU, XMP off. MS Store version, default installation path on a 1 TB NVMe 4x 8 GT/s

Hi Alex and everyone.

I'm new to community but I noticed that you guys adding some new maps, I noticed that few moths ago was added topic regarding https://www.openflightmaps.org/ep-poland/?airac=2009&language=local I mean any country that was just example. The reason I'm going back is because now there is a lot of new download options. One of them is named slippy tiles. Just for poland is 600MB of photos and files and I don't know what to do with them but maybe you Alex.

Great work and please add to 2.6 flight elevation profile, airspaces. That is the only thing I'm missing.  

How to use OpenFlighMaps tiles in Little Navmap:

1. Run a local web server that serves the tiles
  2. Create a marble-compatible, OSM-mode styled structure (dgml, preview, 0/0/0 dummy) and add to the LNM maps directory (data\maps\earth) (see example)
  3. (optional) convert all tile PNGs to remove transparency

Example map definition: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09950983582843687034 (extract into <LNM_root>\data\maps\earth)

You can run a simple web server with python, just run python -m http.server 7878 (port must match port defined in dgml) inside a tile root (the directory that contains the 4, 5, 6, ... directories, e.g. slippyTiles_original\original\merged\256\latest\).
If the tile root contains more levels than 4-11 adapt the minimumTileLevel and maximumTileLevel in the dgml.
If you want to use tiles other than size 256 adapt the tileSize in the dgml. Hint: This changes the detail at zoom level in LNM because OFM has different map styles for different zoom levels. For example if you are using the 512 tiles from OFM you have to zoom in further in LNM until the map style that includes roads is shown.

On removing transparency:
Little Navmap does not handle tiles cut off with transparency well, when moving the map it will produce heavy ghosting/duplicating in the transparent areas (hard to describe).
When you download the tiles from OFM in the settings you can select clipped or non-clipped, clipped has much more transparency because the area is cut out much more detailed, but even the non-clipped variant can have some cut off (transparent) areas in some border tiles on certain zoom levels.

I suggest removing all transparency/alpha from the tiles completely, you can do that easily with a command line script using ImageMagick and Powershell. Example script: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00282460439308057246

Multiple regions
You can serve multiple regions from the same web server, just put the tile roots in sub directories for the regions (e.g. ed, lo) and serve from the directory that contains the sub directories. Then create/clone map definitions for each region and in the dgml adapt path="/" to point the matching sub directory.

You can try to serve multiple regions from the same tile set by just copying the tiles together, but there can be differences between the regions for the same tile, mostly in the less detailed, zoomed out levels containing the regional boarders.
If you do this make sure to use the non-clipped tiles!

Serving from LNM
You can also use the inbuilt web server from LNM to serve the tiles, copy your tiles directories to the web root (default <LNM_root>\web), adpat the port and path in the dgml and make sure the LLN web server is running. For me the inbuilt server was a bit slower in serving the tiles.

Edited by touchdown84
  • Upvote 1

Windows 10 Pro - Ryzen 3 5900X - nVidia Titan X (Pascal) - 32GB DDR4-3600 === Microsoft Flight Simulator

touchdown84 thank you but I'm unable to do anything because I don't know anything about scripts python. I simply don't understand the word you said. Do you think that will added in 2.6?

10 hours ago, amadi7 said:

Great work and please add to 2.6 flight elevation profile, airspaces. That is the only thing I'm missing.  

Sorry, but 2.6 is so late in the beta phase that I'm unable to add new features. Especially a complex ones like airspaces in the profile which can take one or more weeks.
Maybe in 2.8 (odd numbers are only used internally).

5 hours ago, touchdown84 said:

Run a local web server that serves the tiles

OSM tiles are pre-calculated for delivery for higher zoom levels. For lower zoom levels they are calculated on demand. This not doable locally. No idea about OpenFlighMaps.

And yes, Marble (not LNM) cannot deal with the transparency well. I already tried to fix this in the Marble code (not mine) but no avail.

Last but not least: Sorry, but what is the purpose of using OpenFlighMaps when LNM can already display all navigation data? You won't get any information when clicking on a airspace on an image.
I'd rather spend time to improve the map display. Much to improve and plenty of work.🙂

I'm really dreaming of creating my own OSM map style with worldwide elevation and whatnot specially for aviation (background map sans navaids and airports). I could install all the needed software on the lnm.org server and use this to serve tiles but this is all a major task. LNM development would stop for months.

If you'd like to set up a slippy map tile server for whatever map (OSM or own OSM style): That would be terrific.

Alex

48 minutes ago, albar965 said:

OSM tiles are pre-calculated for delivery for higher zoom levels. For lower zoom levels they are calculated on demand. This not doable locally. No idea about OpenFlighMaps.

Well, it's working without a problem with the OpenFlightMaps tiles. You download them as a zip package that already includes all the zoom level folders and the directory/filename structure is already in the OSM-format so no need for custom modes, just OSM-mode in the marble-dgml, serve the tile root from the web server and it works.

Windows 10 Pro - Ryzen 3 5900X - nVidia Titan X (Pascal) - 32GB DDR4-3600 === Microsoft Flight Simulator

20 minutes ago, touchdown84 said:

Well, it's working without a problem with the OpenFlightMaps tiles. You download them as a zip package that already includes all the zoom level folders and the directory/filename structure is already in the OSM-format so no need for custom modes, just OSM-mode in the marble-dgml, serve the tile root from the web server and it works

Ok. Will try them but for now there is too much to do for MSFS.