Sign in to follow this  
Bina

New Maps for LNM (update #4)

2 hours ago, albar965 said:

Ok. Will try them but for now there is too much to do for MSFS.

I had a further look and managed to create a map definition that pulls the tiles remotely from the Open Flightmaps page: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=66428361868327531392
It's basically a composite of two tile layers, one base JPG-tile and a PNG-tile containing the aero/nav data blended on top (as defined by the dgml).
That's not an official API, the URL contains the AIRAC and only the last few AIRACs are kept available, so the URL in the dgml needs to be updated regularly and there is no guarantee it will work in the future.

It seems only the 512x512 tiles are available this way and only zoom levels 7 to 12 (in contrast to 4 to 11 in the download ZIPs). To have some indication for where you are I copy/pasted the cartolight tile layer until zoom level 6 to the definition. OFM is also only available in parts of Europe, so once you are zoomed in 7+ somewhere else in the world you only see blank space.

@albar965 Is it somewhere configurable which tile-zoom-level LNP is using for a current in-application-zoom-level? As the map style changes and increasing information is added with higher zoom it would be nice to composite more detailed tiles already on a lower zoom on the map (for example the low zoom levels contain very little details and only the level 12 tiles contain VRP-flight-paths).
If that's not possible a workaround is to change the tileSize width and height in the dgml from 512 to 256 or even 128. That has the effect that even though 512-tiles are loaded from the server the higher level ones are already used one zoom step earlier. Basically each decrease in the configured tile size shifts the zoom level by one. But this also has a performance impact, the program seem a bit more sluggish (probably because the raw data displayed is 4, 16, ... times the size as normally. Edit: Just checked, as expected RAM usage of LNM increases when using a lower tile size configuration: 512x512: 200MiB; 256x256: 500MiB; 128x128: 1400MiB on the same effective zoom level

Edited by touchdown84
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro - Ryzen 3 5900X - nVidia Titan X (Pascal) - 32GB DDR4-3600 === Microsoft Flight Simulator

18 hours ago, touchdown84 said:

Is it somewhere configurable which tile-zoom-level LNP is using for a current in-application-zoom-level?

This is all Marble configuration and apart from the DGML there is nothing to configure. Not even in the C++ library. I'd like to have sharper background maps with more details myself but nada.

Marble (https://marble.kde.org/) is a bit touchy  with map configuration and documentation on the DGML is close to not existing. I had to find out parameters by diving into the Marble C++ code.😕

Alex

1 hour ago, albar965 said:

Marble (https://marble.kde.org/) is a bit touchy  with map configuration and documentation on the DGML is close to not existing. I had to find out parameters by diving into the Marble C++ code.😕

I noticed that when I was trying to create a dgml and had to mostly rely on looking up dgmls of other maps to see how it works.

1 hour ago, albar965 said:

This is all Marble configuration and apart from the DGML there is nothing to configure. Not even in the C++ library. I'd like to have sharper background maps with more details myself but nada.

No worries, what I did now was create a simple http proxy between the dgml and the OFM page that on the fly resizes the images from 512x512 to 256x256 in the response, that way I have the more user-friendly zoom level of the smaller tiles while not impacting the performance of LNM.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00123782338147292791 Proxy implementation in case anyone is curious, dgml needs host/port of the proxy server and 256-tile-setting, otherwise the configuration is same as going directly to the OFM server.

Windows 10 Pro - Ryzen 3 5900X - nVidia Titan X (Pascal) - 32GB DDR4-3600 === Microsoft Flight Simulator

For VFR flights in France look at this:

https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte?c=-3.09814453125,48.24662559071382&z=9&l0=GEOGRAPHICALGRIDSYSTEMS.MAPS.SCAN-OACI::GEOPORTAIL:OGC:WMTS(1)&permalink=yes

Nice if I can use it in Littlenavmap 😃

New to LNM so I have a fresh install. Tried to download the zip file, but when I copied over the maps are not showing as options and the folders in the zip files seem to be missing items. Is there an issue with the zip file or am I missing something?

Mark

Wow...!!

Little NavMap is already great...but with the addition of those extra maps is a real extra!

Before I used to open Google maps as a seperate stand_alone map and try to figure out where exactly I was with the existing maps on LNM to find a specific building or place I flew over (I do mostly VFR at the moment).

Now with the implementation of GoogleMaps directly into LNM it's even more easy.

Must say: it feels like I'm flying blind without LNM!!
(Donation is on it's way.....)

To CajunLTE: can't help you with your specific problem, only thing I can say is that I did do the standard setup and it worked flawlessly.

Edited by Joppnl
  • Upvote 1

Since MSFS uses Bing Maps, it would be super cool if somebody was able to write a plug-in that allowed you to use Bing Maps and Satellite views in LNM. That would give us excellent accuracy between what is in MSFS and what is on LNM.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:10 AM, CajunLTE said:

New to LNM so I have a fresh install. Tried to download the zip file, but when I copied over the maps are not showing as options and the folders in the zip files seem to be missing items. Is there an issue with the zip file or am I missing something?

CajunLTE, try using "7-Zip" to unzip then place "unzipped" folder in LNM folder.

https://www.7-zip.org/

Just find out about this! Thank you so much for this!!!!

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hi. Many thanks for the extra maps - I use them a lot on my PCs.

However I would like to add them to the excellent LNM installation on my 10 year old MacBookPro - but have no idea how to do that.

There seems to be no equivalent folder - the file structure is obviously completely different to Windows.

It may not be possible ? - anyway thanks for reading ! R.

6 hours ago, Autopilot1957 said:

There seems to be no equivalent folder - the file structure is obviously completely different to Windows.

Move the map folders containing the DGML files to here

Little Navmap.app/Contents/MacOS/data/maps/earth/

Before click on LNM.app and select "Show package contents"

At the end it should look like

Little Navmap.app/Contents/MacOS/data/maps/earth/stamenterrain
Little Navmap.app/Contents/MacOS/data/maps/earth/google-maps

Little Navmap.app/Contents/MacOS/data/maps/earth/google-maps-sat
Little Navmap.app/Contents/MacOS/data/maps/earth/google-maps-ter

Alex