Sign in to follow this  
Bina

New Maps for LNM (update #4)

Hi Alex, no, as you can see it's for the whole world and sometimes is has double naming - The original and the German one.

I wonder if you finally developed the setup dgml and just forgot about the content ;-)

(because as I said it was already in, just commented out)

So you might can add it in the next update.

However I even found some hints in the net about french display and even complete english names all over.

But so far I didn't found the necessary code for implementation.

OSM is really a huge database but you have to know how to formulate the questions (code) to get the right answer (map content)

Cheers

Here is a PLUS goodie.

Did some research and I even can now offer Openstreetmaps in French

Same install procedure like with the German osm-de (see three commets back)

But....the French OSM seems not to have all names available for the complete word.

It seems that the workout is/was not so intesive like the done with the German names.

In this case if a French name does not exist, you'll have a fallback to english or the original name.

And (for me) it appears that the french OSM server seems to be slower - But I'm not sutuated in France

that might be the reason. Anyway, here's the compressed file for the French Openstreetmaps

Have fun.

osm-fr

• Upvote 1

Here's another one.

It' a kind of Open Street Maps but with topo elements.

It's the Thunderforest outdoor map.

It's a kind of a worldwide Topo map and uses Latin characters.

It will work, but you get a watermark display of missing API-Key.

You can apply for a free API-Key with max. dl. 150.000 tiles/month or you can pay if you want to have more.

Never the less it still works with the watermark.

Here's the download link (installation simiar like some threads before)

osm-tf outdoors

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately I cannot revise my previous comments so here are some shots taken with several map settings, to compare the differences.

It's always the same location - Somewhere in China:

1. Picture: Screenshot from (build in) OpenStreetMaps

(almost all names in Chinese)

osm1-orig.jpg

2 Picture: (build in) OpenTopoMap:

(almost all names in Chinese)

osm2-topo.jpg

3. Picture OpenStreetMap now with German Names or - if missing English names or similar. However, much more names available with latin chracters.

osm3-de.jpg

4. Picture now with OpenStreetMap in French. Unfortunately there are not so many world wide names entered in French so either there's a fallback into english then or remain even with the local original chracters

osm4-fr.jpg

5. Picture: Used Thunderforest outdoor map - Worldwide latin characters as kind of a Topo map. But with API-Key watermark - 150.000 tiles/month free for registration (without watermark)

osm5-tf.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stamvlieger said:

Does anybody know how to insert the API-key from Thunderforest for their marvellous Outdoors map into the Little Navmap config file?

You can try to add it to the URL in the DGML file. Not sure if this will work. I tried this in the past and the library I use to load the background maps did not allow this. I plan to add this feature in a future LNM release.

Sorry for the bad news about the thunderforrest maps.

I did a lot of trials (even) with a registered api key inside the dgml file but unfortunately nothing fit so far.

I assume the marble program behind doesn't forward it in the way thunderforrest accept it.

This is how the request should look alike:

https://tile.thunderforest.com/outdoors/{z}/{x}/{y}.png?apikey=<insert-your-apikey-here>

See here: https://www.thunderforest.com/docs/map-tiles-api/

Hi Bina

Thanks for all the effort it sure looks nice

I did put the data folder in my LNM folder and they do appear in the MAP THEME drop down meny, but when i open it up its all blurry

Fault is at my side i am sure , but done it twice now and no luck so now i am really stranded

Any suggestions pls

Hi Alex

Sorry, I thought i had to bother Bina:smile:

At the bottom it says "Done  Offline" in red

In my settings the "Use Offline globe elev. data" thingy is ticked

Is this what you need to know

Thanks

See menu "Flight". There is a menu item "Work Offline". Uncheck this since it keeps LNM from updating/downloading the online maps.
This is a common issue.

I think I have to show a huge blinking warning dialog when people enable offline mode. 😉

Alex

Yes Thank you soo much and for all your hard work

Spending more time playing with LNM than actual flying

But for me its fun playing around with everything 

Thank you Sir

I get an error when I try and unzip this file  says operation failed  whats wrong with  the file ??