Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

Why the FSX Engine Has Been So Robust

We are now, with P3D 4.4 running a super version of the FS5 engine from olden days. A couple of points show why:

1) Bill Gates Luvs Flight Simulation
2) Bill Gates wanted to demonstrate why Windows was such a great OS
3) The Aces Team was brilliant
4) Current design goals were based on projected systems
5) The 'World' engine viability is validated by it's purchase by Lockheed Martin

Cheers
bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

59 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Here we go again.

NFL! 😉

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

tenor.gif

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Nothing to be proud of - old engine with limitations and lack of features that are common in other games nowadays...

Artur 

I always cry, when I see whats possible (Battlefield5) and what we got 😂

Stephan from Germany

My System

10 hours ago, kingm56 said:

What’s the point of your opine? 

Post count 😎

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Just installed FSX-SE with ORBX... forgotten how terrible it looks and that's with max settings.

I've been spoiled by eye candy games! 😳

For the record (the broken one that I use for situations like this).......the terrain graphics in FS5 were garbage.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I like the core MSFS flight dynamics engine but I still feel crosswind handling, even in P3DV4.4 which I have now, was never quite handled well.  Same holds true with Xplane11.30 but to a lesser extent now I feel.  The scenery display engine is great but as others say here, glorifying FS5 is a big stretch.  For me the sim that turned the corner in the Franchise was FS2002, although FS2000 was the light at the end of the tunnel.  Why? Because of the addition of mountain shadows, which gave realism to the scenery.  FS9 was another big leap but the horizons were messed up, as some of us tried to relate in the beta, so I wrote Soft Horizons for free for FS9 and FSX as well, others wrote excellent free and pay sky programs, I genned my own clouds which though lower res were just "fluffier" for me, LOL.  P3DV4 enhances the engine by adding cloud shadows, they steal the show, and by incorporating the smoother horizons that were missing from FS9 and FSX.  As our systems have improved, performance has improved.  Instead of needing high end systems for "everything maxed" even a system like mine no longer pushes the envelope, as long as background processes are kept to a minimum. 

Xplane11 was and is a huge improvement over Xplane10, which I had many out of mem errors on on a system with more RAM than I have today, if you add up RAM and VRAM.  It's horizons are astounding, it has better landclass than the MSFS series, photoreal scenery making is easier for the novice with Ortho4XP vs. FSEarthTiles for the FS9-P3D series, autogen is spot on, and aircraft dynamics are as good as P3D in most cases, though not approaching what RealAir did with their products like their lovely Dukes.  Xplane11 is poorer in weather options (such as no cumulonimbus) and to have seasons, it is costly on disk space and you have to go to third party.

So I give the nod to the MSFS platform just a bit over Xplane11 but if someone to ask me what sim to pick, I would say whatever fits your tastes, wallet and study and real flying ambitions, if you have them.

John

• Like 1

I love how everything is 'robust'

5 years ago you never heard the word now its in every management email I ever get. 

I don't know what the obsession is with it.

'moving forward with a robust plan that doubles down with blue sky thinking....' 

Normally means.. 'I don't have a bloody clue how to address the issue' 

Anyways back the 20 year old engine we use... 

Edited by tooting
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

Maybe the FSX engine seems so robust because there has been so little in the way of competition in the civil aviation flight sim world.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.