Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

USB3 external drive or SATA600 internal drive?

Which would be better to install Megascenery photoscenery for use with P3Dv4? I bought the entire US on sale with the drive, and the bits were delivered on the drive. My preference is to just add to the scenery library and run from the USB drive as is. Am I better off installing to an internal SATA drive instead? 

No one with any opinion on using a USB 3.0 external drive as a scenery location for photoscenery?

SATA 3 SSDs have a higher transfer rate than USB 3 drives so transferring large scenery files would be quicker from an internal drive. An internal drive would also avoid the potential problem of USB drive letters changing for no apparent reason.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Since you said you have the whole US on there, I would pull the case apart from the portable drive and install the drive into your computer if you have an extra bay.... Or just purchase and install a new drive and image the USB3 drive to the new internal drive. (It will be MUCH faster then copy and paste). IF you cant get a SSD big enough get the WD Black drive they spin faster and will help with load times.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+