Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Installed Toposim. Nice, but.....

I installed Toposim mesh for the entire U.S. and Europe.  I must say that I really enjoy what it's done for mountains, valleys, and land overall.

However, so many airports are now on what looks like man-made elevations.  Before Toposim, my airports looked more natural and somewhat more even with the land they sat on.

I heard this was normal after installing mesh, but I was wondering if there is a universal fix for this.  I'm OK with everything, but I'd like to correct this so that the airports are closer to the way they really are supposed to be.

Stan

Stan, are you running ORBX vector..?? If so, you may need to run the Vector AEC tool at FTX central for the airports in question...

If you aren't running Vector try looking at some real life images of the airports in question, use Google maps sattelite view, etc. to see if some of those elevations are there for real...

Edited by SunDevil56

I'm familiar with that tool.  I've used it even before I started using Toposim.  Thanks.  I'll keep track of the airports that bother me, and run the tool for each.

Stan

• Upvote 1

Don't forget to check with Justin at Toposim - he has some elevation adjustments also I believe and can help with specific issues.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

OK.  Will do that.

Stan

Stan:

I just started using Topsim as well and am seeing the same issue with several airports on plateaus.  I communicated with Justin and he is aware of the issue, but, there is no simple solution.  Justin has asked for users to compile a list of the airports and provide that information to him via the Topsim ATAP forum.  He will over time develop correction files for the airports.  

It is unfortunate that there are so many airports with this issue.  I must admit, at this point, I am considering turning the Topsim Mesh off until Justin fixes the airports.

Danny

Danny

I use GEXP3d and ORBX regions along with UTX with toposim mesh. I rarely see airport elevation anomalies. I know Justin's mesh is correct so I suspect some of the other products could be causing issues. 

However, getting together a list of specific problem areas could provide insight.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

50 minutes ago, DannyR said:

It is unfortunate that there are so many airports with this issue....

Hi Danny, could you and Stan maybe post a list of the airports where you guys have noted these elevation issues..??

Like Vic, I have noted few if any such elevation anomalies, and i'd like to check the specific airports you guys are having issues with to see what they look like with my installation..

4 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I know Justin's mesh is correct so I suspect some of the other products could be causing issues.

I could show you a product that is not, Iceland mesh.

On the topic, it is hardly news that all FSX and P3D airports are flat, unlike their real world counterparts,

so adding accurate mesh to the surrounding terrain will cause anomalies.

There are two possible solutions, either amend the mesh to fit the airport, as done by Pilot's Airport Flatten Mesh,

or amend the airport to fit the mesh using sloping flattens.

If neither the producer of the mesh nor the developer of the airport can provide these solutions,

there will be anomalies.

2 hours ago, nolonger said:

There are two possible solutions, either amend the mesh to fit the airport, as done by Pilot's Airport Flatten Mesh,

or amend the airport to fit the mesh using sloping flattens.

Another option would be to just temporarily disable the Toposim mesh in the scenery library for the area you are flying in (have mine installed by separate continents) when you know that the particular airport you are going to use has elevation issues, and it really bothers you.

Like Vic, I rarely see elevation issues with Toposim and ORBX installed, but there are many thousands of airports in P3D, and I haven't flow in to all of them.

FWIW, for those that have ORBX Vector and Toposim installed, I have used Vector AEC successfully to correct elevation issues around specific airports as shown in the pics below.... The Airport is KPRC, Prescott Arizona....

Note the cliff at the end of the runway, and off the left wingtip...

xzc9ODy.jpg

And after running Vector AEC and disabling KPRC.....

zrwR50s.jpg

Edited by SunDevil56
pics added

Hi! I use ORBX Global, Europe and North america. Do I get a better, more realistic word below my A/C with Asia Continent Bundle from Toposim? 

@Oskar SpeerMesh provides more detailed terrain elevation depiction, so mountainous areas, in particular are much more pleasing on the eye.  Not perfect, but much better.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Oskar Speer said:

Thank´s, Erich! I will purchase Asia Continent Bundle from Toposim today!

The best relative comparison is to fly over an area you are familiar with (preferably mountainous)  in the sim -  and then see the contrast with the mesh installed.  Landclass adds huge benefit to the terrain textures but unfortunately, Asia is not yet done by Orbx.  This will be of huge benefit when completed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m contemplating purchasing mesh, either a few toposim areas or pilots 2018.  I’m curious whether one has more plateaus than the other or if it’s fairly consistent?  Perhaps the tool pilots hs makes it a moot issue for that mesh assuming it works well.

I had fsgenesis mesh years ago and the plateaus drove me crazy.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU