Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Installed Toposim. Nice, but.....

Dave, why don't you try the "daily Freebie" over at Toposim, it's available right now and covers the UK including Scotland and Northern Ireland...

http://www.toposim.net/distrib/product-category/daily-freebie/

Fly around some different areas, and see if you notice plateaus around some of the airports, then compare it to the default mesh.. It's worth a try and it's FREE...😎 So what have you got to lose...

Edited by SunDevil56
  • Like 1

Here is a list of a few of the airports that have plateaus:

CZN
MMCS
HI25
HI28
HI23
HI31
HI32
HI02
HI27
HI05
PHUP
PHSF
HI13

There were several in Greenland, but, after activating the Topsim ATAP files for Greenland, the airports were good to go.  So, Justin's approach to fixing the plateau issue does work.  It is just going to be a long process identifying the airports and then Justin having time to develop the correction bgls.

Danny

Edited by DannyR
  • Upvote 1

Danny

22 minutes ago, DannyR said:

Here is a list of a few of the airports that have plateaus:

CZN
MMCS
HI25
HI28
HI23
HI31
HI32
HI02
HI27
HI05
PHUP
PHSF
HI13

There are also several in Greenland, but I haven't copied their ICAOs down yet.

Danny

Thanks for the list Danny.

So I tried temporarily disabling toposim in the scenery library so I could compare it to the default mesh at MMCS, PHUP, and PHSF, and while it does smooth things out a bit, the difference is marginal, at least to my eyes....

These tiny airstrips in remote locations would never be an issue for me, but I can see how it might be a deal breaker for some people....

FWIW, if you have ORBX Vector installed, running the AEC will fix elevation issues at some airports, like in the example I showed above for KPRC.

The only other alternative would be to purchase whichever of Pilot's mesh products that includes AFM, as referenced above by nolonger, and which apparently will smooth things out, but I have no idea how well it works.

Thanks, SunDevil.   Topsim mesh does improve the visuals, but, the benefits are offset by the issues with the airports.  At $5 per airport adjustment it wouldn't take very long before you paid more in airport adjustments than you paid for the mesh.   With the additional charge of ~$5 for each airport adjustment, the cost versus benefit doesn't work for me. 

I have tried using the Orbx Vector AEC process and it doesn't have an effect on the airports with issues due to the Topsim mesh.

I will check-out the Pilot's mesh product.

Regards,

Danny

• Upvote 1

Danny

10 minutes ago, DannyR said:

Thanks, SunDevil.    

I have tried using the Orbx Vector AEC process and it doesn't have an effect on the airports with issues due to the Topsim mesh.

I will check-out the Pilot's mesh product.

Regards,

Danny

I understand your frustration Danny. I can't say how AEC works with these very small airstrips, I rarely if ever use them, but I may fly over them going from point A to point B....

There is no AEC entry for MMCS, so I can't correct that one, but I have used it successfully for a bunch of freeware add on airports, most of which are larger commercial airports. Thus far, i've not needed to use AEC for any of my payware airports, and I have several dozen at least...

Anyway, sorry to hear about your problems with toposim and perhaps you'll have better success with a different product.

I also don't really have elevation issues with airports.  But I only fly into payware airports.  Any issues I have had have been resolved with Orbx AEC.    However, I have an issue with Flytampa Amsterdam which I am unable to resolve.  Not sure if it is mesh product related

• Upvote 1

I am certain my issues are because I fly helicopters into, primarily, remote locations.  I don't do commercial at all or fixed wing flight very much.  So, the airports I most frequently am around are the smaller, very remote, airports.  

I looked at user information for Pilot's mesh and Freemesh.  It appears they both have similar issues with the smaller more remote airports.  Oh well, life is good even without add-on mesh.

Regards,

Danny

• Upvote 1

Danny

4 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Dave, why don't you try the "daily Freebie" over at Toposim, it's available right now and covers the UK including Scotland and Northern Ireland...

http://www.toposim.net/distrib/product-category/daily-freebie/

Great idea, thanks!

• Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

On 1/21/2019 at 2:45 PM, ErichB said:

The best relative comparison is to fly over an area you are familiar with (preferably mountainous)  in the sim -  and then see the contrast with the mesh installed.  Landclass adds huge benefit to the terrain textures but unfortunately, Asia is not yet done by Orbx.  This will be of huge benefit when completed.

Yes! I fly my VRS F/A-18E in China and looking forward to an ORBX product. I like the Toposim!

• Like 1

Main reason why I don’t use Mesh products anymore got so tired of the airport plateaus everywhere!

Using Orbx to exclude the effected airports has not helped as there are usually unusual cliffs near the airports where the are excluded from the surrounding mesh and have water visible on the sides of the cliffs and plateaus!

Chris Camp