Sign in to follow this  
737Andi

Changing speed and altitude does not work

9 minutes ago, berts said:

This isn't kind of a funny story; it is actually very worrying.  I hope the Captain was having a bit of fun with you - or you with us - otherwise how on earth did he pass his final checkout on the aircraft and get it validated on his pilot's licence?

If I remember right he was trying to prove to the FO that he could get the aircraft all the way onto final by inputting speeds in the FMC and staying in VNAV. It just didn’t work out as he planned. I don’t know, wasn’t my company or an airplane that I had any experience with, but his comment to us was tongue in cheek obviously. He eventually gave up and took over manually. 

Edited by Jetlinker

Clearly this was a non-standard way to operate below 10,000ft, which is how aircraft accidents can happen.  I suppose it was a good job you were there to keep an eye on them both..   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, berts said:

Clearly this was a non-standard way to operate below 10,000ft, which is how aircraft accidents can happen.  I suppose it was a good job you were there to keep an eye on them both..   

This was 15 years ago when us lowly RJ drivers were considered to be the enemy. It was always enlightening to see how the “professionals” did it. 😅

18 hours ago, downscc said:

Explain "this?" If you are asking about the speed restriction on the descent page, you could be asking about the value that defaults to 240/10000.  In most places in the world, a speed constraint exists below 10000 regardless of the TL.  

I am actually aware of this 240/10000 rule. But is this setting in the fmc actively preventing the plane from reaching higher speeds below 10000?

7 minutes ago, 737Andi said:

I am actually aware of this 240/10000 rule. But is this setting in the fmc actively preventing the plane from reaching higher speeds below 10000?

I would think so, yes.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

The rule 250/10000. This also mentioned on the charts. But pmdg coded 240/10000. As that is below the max speed which is 250.

40 minutes ago, ph-cxz said:

The rule 250/10000. This also mentioned on the charts. But pmdg coded 240/10000. As that is below the max speed which is 250.

Yup, and this is noted in the FCOM.  The speed is normally 10 kts lower than regulated speed.

Dan Downs KCRP

13 hours ago, 737Andi said:

Yes. Why else would it be there?

Kyle Rodgers

On 1/22/2019 at 3:18 PM, 737Andi said:

If you want to ignore this speed restriction in the FMC then simply delete it; or alternativley disconnect the autopilot, turn the Flight Directors off and then fly the aircraft manually. More often than not it is cancelled after takeoff by ATC; especially if you ask them nicely!

33 minutes ago, berts said:

More often than not it is cancelled after takeoff by ATC; especially if you ask them nicely!

Except the 240/10000 is for the approach, not the departure.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:25 PM, Jetlinker said:

The Captain was attempting to put every new speed that was assigned into the FMC

Never was a problem in the B707. 🙂

Grace and Peace, 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

19 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Except the 240/10000 is for the approach, not the departure.

Correct!   Obviously I should have said I was referring to both Speed/Altitude Transition lines in the FMS, which normally default to 250/10000 on the Climb page and 240/10000 on the Descent page. 

Strictly speaking these two restrictions are not hard and fast rules as such, because they can be overriden by the pilot in command using his or her discretion at any time and provided it is considered operationally necessary.  They are there in the FMS primarily in the interests of flight safety and should be observed when the aircraft is operating close to the ground.  In addition, by being applicable to all jet aircraft below 10,000ft AAL they also serve as an aid in helping ATC with their traffic flow management.  When operating at high altitude airfields such as Bogota or Johannesburg it is also considered good practice to slow the aircraft to 250kts earlier in the descent by changing the 10,000ft altitude to a more sensible figure (e.g. 15,000 in the case of Jo'burg). 

• Like 2