Sign in to follow this  
Guest Terry_ABQ

Reverse thrust at idle to back up

Sweet!Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Try the Raytheon Beechjet 400A in Flight Unlimited 3.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest georg

Yes indeed aircraft can do this and it's under normal procedures with some birds. It is called Powerback or Power pushback and of known birds it is allowed for example on ATR and Boeing 757.

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!While enroute to cater a flight in the winter at KABE I stopped the truck because an MD-80 had just turned on its beacon. It deployed reversers to help out the "tug" which looked like it would be more properly used as a baggage train tractor. Still seemed like the little engine that could was doing most of the work, when its wheels slipped on the ice, the MD-80 just about stopped. Not an airliner (usually), but I heard the C-130 could do the "moonwalk" well.Best Regards, Donny

>Yes indeed aircraft can do this and it's under normal>procedures with some birds. It is called Powerback or Power>pushback and of known birds it is allowed for example on ATR>and Boeing 757.The B757 is not approved for powerback. Usually only jet aircraft with high rear mounted engines are approved for powerback. Even though the 727 can do powerbacks, our crews are prohibited from doing so due to the possibility of FOD damage to the engines and airframe.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Terry_ABQ

I have been on DC-9 and MD-80s that have powered off the gate but I was totally taken by surprise one night in MSP when the NWA 727 I was on enroute to ABQ powered back. Another time, powering back was the only way we could get out of the gate. My flight had a leakey capt. storm window and they could not get the replacement unit to seal and pressurize the jet. They had us hike to the other end of the concourse, (long walk at DFW)to get on a spare MD-80. It was around 0130 Hrs and all the gate crews ( Tug drivers) had gone home to bed. We powered off the gate and was in ABQ in under 1 hour. I think they finally throttled back just before hanging out the gear and flaps. DFW at that time of the night was almost like a ghost town compared to the normal crowds during the day. Kind of neat.Terry