Sign in to follow this  
macpilot

Help Needed for Cat 1 Approach

Can anyone direct me to a flight sim video showing flying a Cat 1 approach with a Boeing aircraft?

Thank You.

Bill McCracken

Here's one with a 737 Simulator -

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Are you thinking of a CAT III instead?  Cat1 is basically a regular precision approach with 200 ft minimums

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Jim and Ryan,

Thanks for your reply. Ryan yes I did mean Cat 1. I am having trouble landing the 747-8 on rwy 15 into LIRA. I capture the LOC but as it's a CAT 1 no GS. I thought if I saw a video on it being performed by another Flight Simulator pilot I might pick  up something that would help me to master the landing.

Bill McCracken.

Stupid question, but can you land the 747-8 by hand? Without any help of the autopilot, not even autothrottle? If not, maybe you should start with this?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Chris,

Not a stupid question. You make a good point. No I have never tried landing without autopilot. I'll try it.

Thanks for the obvious.

Bill McCracken

Somehow you remind me of a real world discussion started after AF447: the risk of nowadays pilots being more a computer system supervisor than really a pilot that can actually FLY a plane ;-)

Don't take it personal, but maybe yes, then it is best to first start with the basics again, do some traffic pattern with the 747-8 to get a handle of flying this plane manually. Try some extreme flying situations like stall, heavy take-offs, extremely banked turns etc. Then start the landing training. Nice weather landings, bad weather landings with a lot of crosswind, tailwind, headwind etc. As soon as you are a good manual flying pilot of your 747-8, I am pretty sure that a CAT 1 approach and landing will be an easy challenge ;-)

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

32 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Stupid question, but can you land the 747-8 by hand? Without any help of the autopilot, not even autothrottle? If not, maybe you should start with this?

Yes you can. Have already done on the 3 flights I have done with the newly-bought 747-8i.

First thing I do is hand fly a new aircraft to get the feel of it and how it responds to the controls, then practise landing till I can do it without blowing the tyres, this is what`s good about flight sim just reset and try again unlike the real world.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, macpilot said:

Thanks for your reply. Ryan yes I did mean Cat 1. I am having trouble landing the 747-8 on rwy 15 into LIRA. I capture the LOC but as it's a CAT 1 no GS.

CAT I doesn not mean no GS.  If there is no GS then it is a LOC approach, not an ILS.  You fly the descent path as provided on the chart...... you do have the chart, right?

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, vc10man said:

Yes you can. Have already done on the 3 flights I have done with the newly-bought 747-8i.

I guess, you did not get the question right 😉

Greetings, Chris

Can you shoot the approach in a small a/c like a 172? I'm not sure if your problem is hand flying a 747 or that you do not understand the approach. As Dan said - get and study the chart. There should be enough info for you to hand fly it in a small a/c and then when you understand the procedure, switch to your 747.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 hours ago, AnkH said:

Stupid question, but can you land the 747-8 by hand? Without any help of the autopilot, not even autothrottle?

You posted this question.............................

58 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I guess, you did not get the question right

........................so which part of the question I did not get right🙄

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

You posted this question.............................

........................so which part of the question I did not get right🙄

To me he was asking the question of the OP, whether HE specifically could land the 747 by hand.

To me, your answer was generic in response to "is it possible to land the 747 by hand"

That's how I saw it.

I'd like to know if the OP knows how to hand fly that specific approach in anything?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

8 hours ago, vgbaron said:

To me he was asking the question of the OP, whether HE specifically could land the 747 by hand.

To me, your answer was generic in response to "is it possible to land the 747 by hand"

That's how I saw it.

I'd like to know if the OP knows how to hand fly that specific approach in anything?

Vic

Aha, that clarifies things. The way I was read it, I just assumed it was that poster and not the OP..