Sign in to follow this  
strider1

Ground Loop Monster!

Great info about tailwheel ground-looping! This video just convinced me to never buy a tailwheel AC!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Yes, he's right about how it all works, but, as he said, he's never experienced one.  It's something to understand and watch for, but it doesn't have to happen if you control the plane correctly.  Unless there are mechanical failures (loose front wheels, tailwheel spring issues), piloting correctly will avoid such shenanigans.  And piloting correctly is piloting correctly.  Just because a different configuration allows you to be sloppier is no reason to be.

No reason not to fly tailwheel aircraft.  They are best at bush flying.  

Edited by Griphos

When I decided to learn aerobatics, the only training aircraft certified for aerobatic was a Citabria, a tail dragger.

As a tricycle pilot, the taildragger was indeed an untamed animal.

An when I  was checked out to do touch and goes solo, I had quite a few terrifying moments during the touch down phase.

When I finally purchased the only airplane I could afford, I purchase an Aircoupe, a tricyle with no rudder pedals and a joy to land.

Flying in New England in the afternoon always would have wind to deal with.

Edited by flyforever

Ground looped my C140 at 12.4 total time, a bit over an hour after solo.  Not paying enough attention and reacting incorrectly aggravating the loop.  Tore out the right gear leg, bent the prop and the right wing bow.  My first plane and the only one ever insured - lucky.  A lesson learned and several thousand hours later never came close again.