Sign in to follow this  
spilok

ORBX Orlando City Scene...my LOAD TIME!

Using my trusty iPhone timer, I proceeded to see "exactly" what my load time was for ORBX's Orlando City Scene scenery.   My Jetline system is relatively new and is equipped as follows:

Operating System:    Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit)
Chassis:                   NZXT S340 Elite Mid-Tower, Black
Motherboard:            Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5, LGA 1151
Processor:                Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock) Six Core
CPU Cooling:           Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Liquid Cooling
System Memory:      32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz
Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, PCI Express 3.0
System Power:         850 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply
Sound Card:             7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio
Primary Drive:          1TB Samsung EVO 860 Solid State Drive (SSD)
Secondary Drive:      2TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical Hard Drive

First, I loaded Active Sky for P3dv4, and minimized it to the taskbar running.

Then, I started P3d 4.4 and waited until the program loaded (short time, about a minute).

Next, I clicked on Change Airport and typed in KMCO.

Loading started and stayed at the "infamous 6%" for exactly 7 minutes.

The rest of the scenery took 1minute and 32 seconds  to completely load and I was on the runway at KMCO.

TOTAL TIME: 8:32

Not good, but not as bad as some of the times I read about.

Stan

This does sound a bit weird. Is this in a fresh P3D install? Have you installed anything else for P3D?

Edited by Le Français

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

I would also say, that loading times in 4.4 are generally a bit longer than in 4.3. Cannot give numbers but I would estimate 20%.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

57 minutes ago, spilok said:

Using my trusty iPhone timer, I proceeded to see "exactly" what my load time was for ORBX's Orlando City Scene scenery.   My Jetline system is relatively new and is equipped as follows:

Operating System:    Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit)
Chassis:                   NZXT S340 Elite Mid-Tower, Black
Motherboard:            Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5, LGA 1151
Processor:                Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock) Six Core
CPU Cooling:           Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Liquid Cooling
System Memory:      32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz
Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, PCI Express 3.0
System Power:         850 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply
Sound Card:             7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio
Primary Drive:          1TB Samsung EVO 860 Solid State Drive (SSD)
Secondary Drive:      2TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical Hard Drive

First, I loaded Active Sky for P3dv4, and minimized it to the taskbar running.

Then, I started P3d 4.4 and waited until the program loaded (short time, about a minute).

Next, I clicked on Change Airport and typed in KMCO.

Loading started and stayed at the "infamous 6%" for exactly 7 minutes.

The rest of the scenery took 1minute and 32 seconds  to completely load and I was on the runway at KMCO.

TOTAL TIME: 8:32

Not good, but not as bad as some of the times I read about.

Stan

Are you using Acronis True Image 2019??

If so disable active protection.

In my case this was the 6% loading time problem.

Greetz,

BB

OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit//Case: NZXT H7 Elite Black//CPU: i9 13900KS@6ghz//Mobo: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX//AIO: Corsair H150i Elite LCD Capellix Black//RAM: Kingston Fury Renegade RGB DDR5 6400Mhz - 64GB//GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC//Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 - 4TBx2 plus 1x Intel SSDPEKNW020T8-2TB//PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W//Monitor: LG 37,5 L 38WP85C-W//Joystick: Saitek X-52 Pro//Keyboard: Logitech G213 Prodigy

Do you have your ORBX stuff on that secondary drive?

If so, that's your problem.

Cheers, Mark

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I think his point is that his load times are very good...some people are experiencing 20 minutes or longer with the new orbx Orlando Cityscape.

Edited by flyblueskies

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

Be sure to read the users guide for this product.  I missed this and when I caught it by reading the Orbx forum comments and turned off the default scenery areas for Orlando and KMCO that made a significant improvement in loading time and performance.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes. I feel my load times are pretty good.  Nothing relating to P3d is on secondary drive.  NOT a fresh install of P3d.  Just updated Client, Scenery, and Content.  I have ALL the ORBX stuff. No Acronis.  Turning off the default areas for Orlando and KMCO may be a way to decrease loading times.  Thanks for that.

Stan

Edited by spilok

Same thing with Simwings EBBL and Barcelona City Scape. Takes quite a while to load, and p3d is on SSD. 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Rats! I was going to buy this, but I think I'll hold off.

I'm not sure if this will help with Cityscene Orlando in particular, but I was able to improve load times as well as overall smoothness and performance on my system by adding folder and process exclusions in Windows Defender. It has been noticeable.

Process exclusions: SimObjectDisplayEngine.exe, Prepar3D.exe, couatl.exe, ASNext.exe, and FTXcentral.exe

Appdata\Local\ folder exclusions: .\Lockheed Martin\P3D v4\, and .\Orbx\

AppData\Roaming\ folder exclusions: .\ABarthel\, .\HiFi\, .\Lockheed Martin\P3D v4\, .\PMDG\, .\Orbx Systems\, and .\Virtuali\

ProgramData\ folder exclusions: .\Lockheed Martin\P3D v4\, .\12bPilot\, and .\Virtuali\

My Documents\ folder exclusions: .\<username>\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\, and .\<username>\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\

Everything I have related to P3D that is currently installed and in use is under G:\P3D, so I excluded that as well.

I think the one that had the most noticeable impact on startup times was C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4. This one has both scenery index folders. There is no need to scan each index file as it is opened. My goal was to prevent Win10 from scanning any file that P3D uses. It seems to be working. So far, I'm happy.

I hope Orbx and LM get this worked out. I'd love to add this to my collection.

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

5 hours ago, tooting said:

Is P3Dv4 on the ssd or mechinal drive 

On the SSD.

18 hours ago, flyblueskies said:

some people are experiencing 20 minutes or longer

Good lord, I would have given up and choose a different flightsim.

I fly in Europe and have all of the ORBX stuff installed plus plenty of addon airports. Starting P3D takes on average 3 min. If flying on IVAO, it needs to load all MTL planes as well, adding an extra 1m30 min to start. So worst case total 5 min on an addon airport. - which I find already a very long time to wait to start flying. Just like MDFlier mentioned, I exclude all P3D maps from being scanned. (In my case by Kaspersky)

• Upvote 1

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

I'm on the other side of the coin here.  I personally own both ORBX and Flight1 GEX/UTX and neither one is currently installed.  ALL of my payware airports are installed,  including Active Sky and REX Skyforce for weather and sky/clouds etc.  My load times are less than 30 seconds and my average FPS is well above 40 is almost all areas including NY and Chicago.   Honestly,  I do not miss the stutters,  load times,  and everything else associated with tweaking those amazing ground graphics.   When I want to fly with "eye candy" I load up XPlane.