Sign in to follow this  
spilok

ORBX Orlando City Scene...my LOAD TIME!

I remember seeing 10 minute load times easily when running MSE photo imagery for several states. What load times are you expecting?  Everything in that scenery is unique, not repeated... all the ground imagery, the individual structures.

The times just don't sound out of whack to me.  Well, 20 mins does if that post was true.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

The Orbx designer for this product said the goal was to ensure load times less than 5 min.  I have all my Orbx files on a different SSD from the P3D root using a symbolic link and I use the high textures tweak to achieve 1024 terrain resolution and my load times will run about 2-3 min.  It took some getting used to, the use of high texture resolution greatly increased load times but it's worth it..... I mean after all my average session is 5 hrs and so what if it takes 5 min to load... if I am just playing or testing I turn off the texture resolution tweak.

One of the big hits to load times is the Orbx Library.  The developer said this can be turned off because Orlando does not use anything in the Orbx Library.  He explained that it was a surprise that this appeared but something in P3D rescans the library many many times during the load of one scenery scenario and they are working with LM to try to resolve this.  This little trick ought to help the person with 20 min load times.

Dan Downs KCRP

I guess I should be pleased with my 4-5 minutes load time 😊

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Not only with this scenery I started to wonder: is this really what we want? Going down this road? I mean, 70 gigabyte and more for small areas such as the Netherlands, 20 Minutes loading time for City Scene Sceneries, see-through glass in the terminals with moving passengers inside, each and every grass part animated and shown, and and and.

Welcome to the 64bit world of flightsim. While we were on a good compromise track back in 32bit days due to the risk of OOM, it seems that the developers now totally lost their limits. Why not going further and achieve the obvious ultimate goal to totally bring down the 64bit architecture to its knees? /sarcasm off.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

15 hours ago, willy647 said:

Good lord, I would have given up and choose a different flightsim.

I fly in Europe and have all of the ORBX stuff installed plus plenty of addon airports. Starting P3D takes on average 3 min. If flying on IVAO, it needs to load all MTL planes as well, adding an extra 1m30 min to start. So worst case total 5 min on an addon airport. - which I find already a very long time to wait to start flying. Just like MDFlier mentioned, I exclude all P3D maps from being scanned. (In my case by Kaspersky)

Similar experience here...

I fly mostly in the USA, UK, and Europe, and have all the ORBX stuff and a bunch of add on airports, but no CityScene or True Earth stuff, and it takes me 35 seconds to reach the P3D opening screen, then another minute and a half to load up an aircraft and flight at a typical payware airport, so total time from clicking the P3D desktop icon to sitting on the runway ready to fly is just a hair over 2 minutes. A worst case scenario might be 2 1/2 minutes Personally, I think this is not bad, and I really don't mind the wait very much...

I'm fascinated by this scenery but I'm a little scared to think about flying into this area. I don't mind a 2-4 minute initial wait when starting up. But are there going to be huge stutters and blurries when entering the area? Especially at a jetliner rate of speed. That's my concern. I had some blurries and stutters with DD New York X, which I do think have improved since 4.4. But this scenery looks like a whole other level of detail.

On 1/23/2019 at 12:21 PM, downscc said:

He explained that it was a surprise that this appeared but something in P3D rescans the library many many times during the load of one scenery scenario and they are working with LM to try to resolve this.  

I'm personally hoping this is what finally provides a resolution to some of the 6+ second pauses I experience in certain scenery areas (e.g. Orbx SoCal, Viewpoint KMHT, etc.).  It seems that for some scenery packages, P3D rescans the entire library when flying into that new scenery.  This has been a common problem for many, but the issue never seemed to get any traction with LM.

As for the Orlando scenery, I was really looking forward to this package and purchased it immediately when it was released and experienced 5-6 minutes of load time on my system.  It's currently uninstalled, and I'll only re-install if this is solved or if I plan to fly VFR around Orlando.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

Even though it takes about 8 minutes total load time for me, I don't see my FPS suffer at all when flying helicopters or GA over the Orlando area.  I'm pleased with the scenery and the land points over Disney and other areas...but the load times are a little difficult to deal with.  Overall, I'll keep the scenery activated and hope ORBX finds a solution to the load times.

Stan

I'll Join the party here. Bought it last night. With a Samsung evo ssd.  Loading terrain data 1 min 41, total load time 2 mins 17

Im doing the vs27 today. Lgw to mco even with the real world plan run at. Mach 86 it's still 9 hrs 35 flight time. 

We tried on tracks, off tracks, high and low. I feel for the crew on that today. That's a long Orlando that 

14ppkc-6.png