Wise87

CaptainSim 757 Freighter released, maybe?

Recommended Posts

Just because its the only good mid-sized freighter available for P3Dv4 does not mean that this price tag is worth it. Its not even a PMDG level simulation. I had ordered their 777 when released, but never used it since I purchased the PMDG version. Really not sure about this one. I will probably wait for their next discount, whenever this will be. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

PMDG set the precedence for expansions costing more than double than previous models. Now everyone is following it.  Those that dont complain and say its not a big deal is obviously subjective when your income views 50$ as just 5-10 bucks.  Was really looking forward to flying the 75F, but thats just excessive. What is essentially the same systems as the base. They can justify the price by what they deem their work into it, but some of us have to draw the line on adding expansion models. The base model should have had most of the aircraft priced into it. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

The CS 757 is on the back burner for me until the VNAV and SPD intervention modes are fixed.

Share this post


Link to post

Couldn't agree more with @HighTowers. PMDG set the precedent for addons costing $100+ and for $50+ expansions, and because a lot of folks just rolled over and accepted it now half the industry is at it. They also have this habit of making the least popular variant the base pack (e.g. 772LR vs 773ER) so most buy the expansion too, which is the same thing CS has done making the RR engines extra. However in CS defence their 757 III seems a lot more advanced and refined than their previous releases, they haven't just bumped the price up without a marked improvement in the product. What's their customer service and aftersales like these days, it use to be atrocious?

EDIT: As I wrote that @Christopher Low pointed out it still has issues with VNAV. Oh dear.

 

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The CS 757 is on the back burner for me until the VNAV and SPD intervention modes are fixed.

I have not had any issues with it. As you are a Beta Tester at Gary's excellent UK2000, last night did a flight using the CS757v3 Jet2.com livery, night flight, from LEPA(Palma) and landed at UK2000;s EGPF(Glasgow) using precisely that, VNAV(managed to get down from 37k to 3k for EGPF) and SPD interventions, otherwise I'd have had a hairy landing instead of the Vref=124kts I managed to get for a clean landing.

Edited by vc10man

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

However in CS defence their 757 III seems a lot more advanced and refined than their previous releases, they haven't just bumped the price up without a marked improvement in the product. What's their customer service and aftersales like these days, it use to be atrocious?

Spot-on,Chris. Fully concur.

Share this post


Link to post

I should be able to use SPD intervention with VNAV enabled (assuming that the 757 is the same as the 737 and 747), but trying to control this during the initial climb (and descent) in my quick circuit tests seems to be impossible at the moment. Maybe it works for some users, and not for others?? :huh:

Share this post


Link to post

I can only agree that the CS757 III is much better than its predecessor. I did a flight last night from LOWS to EGKK and it worked like a charm. I really think it has become a good add-on, IMHO the best rendition of a 757 at present. And I've just read on the CS Homepage that their new freighter comes with Trueglass rain effects which even enhances the immersion factor. I hope that this effect will also work on the passenger variants.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post

Christopher, I have seen another one of your other posts re: a PMDG aircraft,----and Dan replied--where again you posted a problem with that aircraft after a so-called 'quick circuit test'. IMHO, I do not think that is a conclusive proof that something like the VNAV or SPD isn't functioning as it was designed to do within the developer's envelope, because I have done more than a dozen flights with this particular aircraft, and just like the PMDG range of aircraft I have flown, never had a VNAV or SPD issue.

Share this post


Link to post

Remember that all repaints are done by the community, and so on for the freighter. IS it cheap? Not at all, but hey,as someone said before, it's the only one in town, and frankly BP is already pretty neat. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, SKEWR said:

Totally agree. Way overpriced. Also they have fake graffiti on a load chart in the interior saying "Global Warming is a Total Fraud". I sim to escape not see some polical opinion. No way I'm supporting them.

EDIT: As the posts following me also requested: could you please post a picture of this, and detail the location it's supposed to be at?

Original post: Are you kidding me? They put that in their plane? Is it there in the basepack too? I was pining for a 75F, but this is extremely disappointing. People are entitled to their own opinions, but please don't stuff them in my face when I buy your product. Not sure I want to buy any more from a company that denies climate change.

 

Edited by Benjamin J
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, SKEWR said:

Also they have fake graffiti on a load chart in the interior saying "Global Warming is a Total Fraud"

Could you post a picture of this from your copy of the B757F?  

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Are you kidding me? They put that in their plane? Is it there in the basepack too? I was pining for a 75F, but this is extremely disappointing. People are entitled to their own opinions, but please don't stuff them in my face when I buy your product. Not sure I want to buy any more from a company that denies climate change.

Picture please.

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, IAhawkeyeDDS said:

Picture please.

Ask SKEWR, since he's the one that brought it up...

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Christopher, I have seen another one of your other posts re: a PMDG aircraft,----and Dan replied--where again you posted a problem with that aircraft after a so-called 'quick circuit test'. IMHO, I do not think that is a conclusive proof that something like the VNAV or SPD isn't functioning as it was designed to do within the developer's envelope

The post you are referring to is about the "pitch" problem in the 747.....and other users of the PMDG 747 have come forward to confirm that this exists (whether doing circuit tests, or full flights). It is worth noting here that VNAV and SPD intervention in ALL of the PMDG airliners (737/747/777) work perfectly when conducting my test circuit flights.

 

Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

The post you are referring to is about the "pitch" problem in the 747.....and other users of the PMDG 747 have come forward to confirm that this exists (whether doing circuit tests, or full flights). It is worth noting here that VNAV and SPD intervention in ALL of the PMDG airliners (737/747/777) work perfectly when conducting my test circuit flights.

 

Fair enough, Christopher. May have misunderstood your 'pitch' issue in the 747, and take your observations re:the PMDG aircraft in your 'circuit test flights', but speaking IMHO re:the CS757v3, as I don not do 'test circuit flights', other than tutorials and then full flights, I have had no VNAV or SPD problems as I appertained previously.

Really, at the end of the day, it's each individual simmer's choice to buy or not buy a developer's product. Nobody holds a gun to anyone's choices!

Share this post


Link to post

I may be dumb; but why are vrefs so low? I'd expect something like that around 135ias with wind, but on my fms it tells me something like 120...

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, LH340fan said:

I may be dumb; but why are vrefs so low? I'd expect something like that around 135ias with wind, but on my fms it tells me something like 120...

Depends on final landing weight loading, I am not dead cert, but I have had Vrefs of around 135kts

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Daedalus said:

Just because its the only good mid-sized freighter available for P3Dv4 does not mean that this price tag is worth it. Its not even a PMDG level simulation. I had ordered their 777 when released, but never used it since I purchased the PMDG version. Really not sure about this one. I will probably wait for their next discount, whenever this will be. 

But then the converse may also be true...just because it's not a PMDG level simulation doesn't mean it's not worth it to some potential buyers. 

If this were a head-on contest between a PMDG B757 and the CS 757 at similar price points, then most, I think, would find the answer pretty clear.  We've already seen this sort of competition, with iFly coming in head-to-head against PMDG on the 737NG and 747-400.  Those that don't see value in very high systems and performance fidelity, or those with constrained budgets that can't afford the $135 PMDG price tag seem to tend towards the more inexpensive (but less sophisticated) iFly versions, and those that do value those things usually end up on the PMDG side of the fence.

But, that said, this isn't a head-to-head contest unless all you want is a generic tubeliner.  If what you're looking for is more specific--like a mid-sized freighter that's not too big for the ramp at most mid-sized airports, or if you're a big fan of the 757/767 with its round-dial EFIS panel of yesteryear--then PMDG offers you, well, nothing.  They're not going to branch out to make a 757...they're more interested in yet another rehash of the 737.  Comparisons with PMDG, FSLabs, or Majestic aren't all that relevant, because they're not in that space, and don't look like they ever will be.  So in absence of another alternative that both rises to PMDG's quality and answers the mail for that specific want, it becomes a decision as to how much filling that specific niche is worth to you, and whether compromising on systems and performance fidelity that aren't state-of-the-art is worth having that freighter, or that 757, or whatever it is that makes the plane attractive to you.

Like freighters, there's been a real dearth of business jets for what seems to be forever, and I dare say that if anyone ever produces a Gulfstream add-on, it'll set sales records, even if it flies like a refrigerator thrown off a cliff and sells at a price that would water President Donald Trump's eyes.  It's just the nature of that sort of pent-up demand, I think.

Regards

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoy the airplane a great deal.  I must say though that there is something a little corky about the autothrottle/VNAV.  I was departing HAAB and the airplane was only maybe 70% loaded but I barely got of the RWY.  I notice that the VNAV goes crazy if you change a STAR or the landing RY while inflight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, LH340fan said:

I may be dumb; but why are vrefs so low? I'd expect something like that around 135ias with wind, but on my fms it tells me something like 120... 

Make sure you go into the FMC Menu and setup the aircraft with what you want.  Sounds like the flight is set up for a short flight rather than a long flight or random flight load.  You have to configure for the fuel, passengers, and cargo.  Then the flight will be properly set up.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Comparisons with PMDG, FSLabs, or Majestic aren't all that relevant, because they're not in that space, and don't look like they ever will be.

But that’s just the point: this stratospheric pricing (cost for the base model plus RR and freighter runs higher than anything PMDG or FSL have released) unavoidably puts them in that space — so if the quality doesn’t measure up, we have a problem.

I would say that QualityWings and Captainsim are roughly in the same technical and quality tier: in some aspects (especially visual modeling) excellent, some corners cut on the simulation side, a fair number of bugs that may or not be fixed months later, and overall it’s all just not as “tight” as an outfit like PMDG in particular. QW’s pricing bakes this in: their sale of the entire 146 lineup for $20 shows that those guys understand that to make money you need not just high prices, but also sales volume.

CS obviously missed the mark on this one, and if they’re smart they’ll backtrack. Unfortunately, it looks like they’re doubling down.

James

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, honanhal said:

But that’s just the point: this stratospheric pricing (cost for the base model plus RR and freighter runs higher than anything PMDG or FSL have released) unavoidably puts them in that space — so if the quality doesn’t measure up, we have a problem.

I would say that QualityWings and Captainsim are roughly in the same technical and quality tier: in some aspects (especially visual modeling) excellent, some corners cut on the simulation side, a fair number of bugs that may or not be fixed months later, and overall it’s all just not as “tight” as an outfit like PMDG in particular. QW’s pricing bakes this in: their sale of the entire 146 lineup for $20 shows that those guys understand that to make money you need not just high prices, but also sales volume.

CS obviously missed the mark on this one, and if they’re smart they’ll backtrack. Unfortunately, it looks like they’re doubling down.

James

I think the CS pricing model is probably working for them...the biggest difference between their pricing model and the top-tier is that CS offers regular, though infrequent, discounting of their products.  During those discount periods, the price is quite reasonable ($50 for the CS 757 + RR expansion vs $115 for the PMDG 737-800/900 + 600/700 expansion).   So those who value having it right now can do that (at a premium price), and the rest can get it much cheaper by waiting for the sales.  PMDG and FSL, on the other hand, do not discount their products.  We see the same sort of thing with scenery add-ons...LatinVFR, for example, had a 30% off sale on their stuff, but excluded their recent KBWI and SCEL releases...so those that want those sceneries right away have to pay full freight, and those that can wait will most likely find them sold at a discount later.  The seller thus capitalizes on the demand from both motivated buyers that want the product enough to pay full price, and the higher volume of those that have a more casual interest who might be enticed to buy at a discount off the day-old bread rack later.  This is basic marketing, and it's really not unusual at all.

I think QW's $70 pricing on the 787 is more relevant to this discussion than the 64-bit recompilation of their old FS9/FSX BAE 146 add-on...clearly they are pricing the new P3Dv4-native 787 add-on in the higher range we're seeing for complex add-ons on the 64-bit P3D platform.  The CS 757, if purchased during one of their sales, is in the same price range as the QW787.  I haven't seen the QW787 sold at a discount yet.

Regards

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I think the CS pricing model is probably working for them...the biggest difference between their pricing model and the top-tier is that CS offers regular, though infrequent, discounting of their products.  During those discount periods, the price is quite reasonable ($50 for the CS 757 + RR expansion vs $115 for the PMDG 737-800/900 + 600/700 expansion).   So those who value having it right now can do that (at a premium price), and the rest can get it much cheaper by waiting for the sales.  PMDG and FSL, on the other hand, do not discount their products.  We see the same sort of thing with scenery add-ons...LatinVFR, for example, had a 30% off sale on their stuff, but excluded their recent KBWI and SCEL releases...so those that want those sceneries right away have to pay full freight, and those that can wait will most likely find them sold at a discount later.  The seller thus capitalizes on the demand from both motivated buyers that want the product enough to pay full price, and the higher volume of those that have a more casual interest who might be enticed to buy at a discount off the day-old bread rack later.  This is basic marketing, and it's really not unusual at all.

I think QW's $70 pricing on the 787 is more relevant to this discussion than the 64-bit recompilation of their old FS9/FSX BAE 146 add-on...clearly they are pricing the new P3Dv4-native 787 add-on in the higher range we're seeing for complex add-ons on the 64-bit P3D platform.  The CS 757, if purchased during one of their sales, is in the same price range as the QW787.  I haven't seen the QW787 sold at a discount yet.

Regards

Spot-on, very rational case you put forward, Bob, instead of the anti-CS theme prevalent in this thread. Earlier this afternoon, while returning from a shopping trip, I mulled a bit, and thought to myself, us simmers are a strange beast, We have no issues splashing $50 on a bottle of wine, or a meal out or at the grocery stores, yet for a product that will last years as it has no shelf-life like consumables do, we raise a hue and cry. It's like customers I get who want a 'free lunch' if you get the colloquial drift.

$4.5 apiece for each variant of the CS757-200v3 freighter is not really asking the earth, all things considered. Okay, personally I won't buy it any more than I'd have bitten the cherry with Aerosoft offering their DC-8 because I already have enough to fly around with the QOTSII 747-400s and now the 747-8i.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

It's worth noting that the trim calculations are also way off in the CS 757, as the calculated value gives me an extremely "nose heavy" CG at take off. Don't misunderstand me though. The CS 757 is not a bad plane. It's just that I have been spoiled by the PMDG aircraft, and I want that level of system and options depth in all of my planes now....although the "borked RAAS announcement" issue in the PMDG 747 freighters since the January update was released is more than a little annoying....

Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now