Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

Opinion on gpu??????

Hey guys 

I have 2 gtx evga titans 6gb sc in sli atm and am in the process of selling them. 

To buy the Asus strix 1080ti 

is it worth  the upgrade ??

thanks 

mike

You are trading 12GB (2x6GB) of VRAM for 11GB in the 1080Ti configuration.  Other than eliminating SLI, I don't think this would be a significant upgrade. 

If instead you were to consider the 2080Ti (pricey!), then you would likely have a more significant upgrade over your current configuration.  Of course, this is just my opinion.  Others will chime in for sure.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

15 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

You are trading 12GB (2x6GB) of VRAM for 11GB in the 1080Ti configuration.  Other than eliminating SLI, I don't think this would be a significant upgrade. 

If instead you were to consider the 2080Ti (pricey!), then you would likely have a more significant upgrade over your current configuration.  Of course, this is just my opinion.  Others will chime in for sure.

Thanks for the reply 

but does P3d v4.4 utilize both cards well in sli?

and vram both together as 1?

thsnks

40 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

You are trading 12GB (2x6GB) of VRAM for 11GB in the 1080Ti configuration.

The VRAM on the cards runs in parallel in SLI, not in series, so you're still effectively working with 6GB. Each card renders an alternate frame and has access to only its own VRAM.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

4 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

The VRAM on the cards runs in parallel in SLI, not in series, so you're still effectively working with 6GB. Each card renders an alternate frame and has access to only its own VRAM.

Thanks for the reply 

What about power? 

Both cards combined? 

Just now, mikeymike said:

What about power?

Two cards means twice the power draw.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Two cards means twice the power draw.

Thanks for the reply

so I guess not worth the upgrade then?

sorry for the stupid questions.

mike

Reportedly P3D does not benefit all that much from SLI. It certainly doesn't double performance, I seem to remember it was in the order of 20%. So definitely a single more powerful card is a better investment than two weaker ones.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

I live in Canada.

do you think that 500 for both cars is a reasonable price?

thanks

mike

A quick way to check the cost is to see what they are going for on ebay.  You can check recent sales etc for the type of card you have

20 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Thanks for that @vortex681.  I learned something... and for that I'm grateful.

Apologies to @mikeymike for peddling bad information.

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

4 hours ago, dmiannay said:

Thanks for that @vortex681.  I learned something... and for that I'm grateful.

Apologies to @mikeymike for peddling bad information.

Np.

thank you all for the information

appreciated!

mike