Sign in to follow this  
aidanlegras

Pimax, Pimax 5k, Pimax 5k+, P3D, Prepared, Prepar3D

Looking at getting in to VR on P3D, possibly with a Pimax5k+ but I'm finding it difficult to determine whether this will even be an option even after upgrading to an RTX2080ti. There's a lot of info on the Pimax 5k+ and 8k but not a lot that links this with P3D, at least not a lot of info that I can find. 

Obviously it's early days but would anyone have a sense of the likelihood of this combo? 

I primarily use FS Labs A320 so it's going to use a bit of headroom in any case.

I appreciate any help, cheers. 

Unless you're that hellbent on more FOV get an Odyssey Plus...the image looks better than 5K+ overall.

Can't speak for 8k though

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Not sure “hellbent” is the right word but I’d certainly like to give a big FOV a good look. The Odyssey plus is something I am still considering of course, notwithstanding the clunkiness I’ve heard about in relation to the WMR. 

Blue shark, I assume you have an Odyssey, can I take it your experience has been good with it?

12 hours ago, aidanlegras said:

Not sure “hellbent” is the right word but I’d certainly like to give a big FOV a good look. The Odyssey plus is something I am still considering of course, notwithstanding the clunkiness I’ve heard about in relation to the WMR. 

Blue shark, I assume you have an Odyssey, can I take it your experience has been good with it?

Tracking and clunkiness is real....but image is superb.

I can sit in virtual desktop for hours without straining to read anything.

Comfort is bad depending on the shape of your head...but I have mods like this on the way.

https://www.studioformcreative.com/

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Thanks Blueshark, that’s good info. I’m still pretty keen to see a bit more about what the 5k+ is capable of but it would certainly appear that the Odyssey would be the best fallback option. 

By the way sorry about topic tittle, that’s what happens when you allow middle aged not tech savvy men on the interweb!

I have an Odyssey+ and at this point now that I am very used to it, I wouldn't call it clunky. I'd say it was slick. Granted, its my first VR headset so I have nothing to compare it with. Once I have taxed and line up on the runway I have forgotten its on my head. It's not a perfect fit on my head. When I have it in the exact sweet spot the earphones pulled down all the way are just about a half inch to high on my ear. That's my only complaint but its not a big deal. I just turn the volume up a bit more.

The head tracking is perfectly exact. I don't use the controllers very often but they seem to track just fine to me. I use it almost exclusively for P3D V4.4

The field of view is very good. Again, if I look for it I can see the edge of the image but once I am engrossed its gone I am in the VR world and my brain is convinced.

AA could be improved a lot but that's the case with VR in general and if I had a nore powerful system that would probably be a lot better. Screen door is virtually non-existent with the Odyssey+

I can get 45fps with my i7 4770K @4.8ghz with a GTX980ti on very reasonable setting for VR. I doubt I would get that with a Pimax 5K. That higher resolution will eat up a lot more processing power but many of those who have tried both say the Odyssey+ image is better.

I got mine for $299 so I have no complaints. Also in my opinion the absence of base stations is a must.

Great info, Avidean, thanks for the tip.

I’m waiting now on more objective reviews of Pimax’s brainwarp before making a decision but either way, we’re at the exciting part of VR journey. 

Thanks. 

Also I'll add to that since experimenting further with setting, 8xSSAA with the Samsung Odyssey+ delivers a perfectly smooth image. No shimmering and no jagged edges. Granted the image is soft and to get reasonable frame rates (30FPS) all other display setting need to be rained in on my system which is i7 4770K at 4.8ghz and 980ti. But I have come to the conclusion that for me the most important setting in P3D V4 with the Samsung Odyssey is 8xSSAA. Every other setting is secondary to that.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, Vulcan said:

At that price I'd be interested but not at £600 !!

I wouldn't pay that for it either, even knowing how good it is!

I got mine on sale Black Friday. 40% off

The on you linked for £600 doesn't even seen to be the Odyssey+

I started looking at the original Odyssey when it was released and looked up and down and picked my noise for over a year about it before it bough it. In fact I personally think that Samsung Odyssey+ in the first VR headset that was actually worth buying. But seriously in the last 2 or 3 years I have turned in a really miserly old word not allowed.🤣

At the moment I am negotiating with a few sellers for used 1080ti and I'm getting one for a lot less than their are advertising them for. I know I am going to bet one at a good price because they are still talking to me and negotiating.🙄😁🤣

18 hours ago, Vulcan said:

At that price I'd be interested but not at £600 !!

Yep, that's the guts of it, I've just seen that Pimax Brainwarp  and FFR (for the RTX only for now) has been released in the last 24 hours so I think that's most likely decided it for me. A large potion of users have got it up an going successfully so far. 

Problem is though that there is no base stations for the Pimax yet. The only people with access to them are those that are using their old HTC base stations so I'll have to be patient. I guess on the upside a lot of the teething issues might well be sorted by then. I will likely be waiting a while. Samsung does seem great but the potential for at least 170 degrees FOV is unbeatable in my view.

Thanks peeps.

4 hours ago, aidanlegras said:

potential for at least 170 degrees FOV is unbeatable in my view.

I agree the FOV of the Pimax in amazing. I haven't seen it but I if I want to be conscious of it and look for the edge of the image in Odyssey I can easily see it. I can only imagine the immersion of gazing to your peripherals not finding the edge. That's what happens in reality. However, I the medium to long run I anticipate Samsung winning the race.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5