Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Hill before a runway, and they don't let me change runways

Hi. I'm having a basic problem with using the ATC give me an alternate runway to land at. 

I'm trying to land at Gran Canaria. The airport has 2 runways heading in the same direction. When it always tells me to land on the left runway it's annoying - there's a hill before it and I keep crashing. If I was allowed to land on the right runway, I think I would make it. 

The problem is that when I request the different runway from ATC, they say something odd- it sounds like it's saying I can proceed to the right runway, but I am only cleared to land at the left, like before. How do I let atc Allow me to land at a different runway than it originally chose for me? 

Thanks, Gaz 

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Sounds like ATC is requiring a side step landing for rwy __R.  Basically line up to land on left runway, then side step over to right rwy. Youtube shows excellent side step landings for a visual landing at EHAM with a B747 crew

Default ATC sometimes allows you to standby and ask for another runway or approach... sometimes it doesn’t.  If I don’t like the options given to me I just ignore them and do as I please, since I’m the king of world anyways.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Am finding this really confusing Gaz, but to try and help I just opened up Navigraph charts to look at the airport and Google Earth.

The runway you are talking about is 03L, there are no hills or mountain on the approach to RWY 03L, Why your crashing into a hill is confusing. 

If the default is vectoring you in over the mountains to the left of the airport then stop using it. You can normally find some charts online for an airport, always have a chart like below handy so you can see what you need to know well before you even get there. There are no hills or maintains in front of 03L 🙂 

But remember at the end of the day your the pilot in charge of the aircraft it's your job to land it safely. But I wish I could see a reason why you could not land safely on 03L. Your approach as you can see from the approach chart for that runway starts over the sea, straight in with nothing in your way.

dOctwHY.jpg

Here is a vid (no talking on this mods so no adult content) There is no difference in landing on 03L to landing on 03R when it comes to hills.

PS: I hope your well Gaz.

Best wishes. 

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Sounds like ATC is requiring a side step landing for rwy __R

It actually sounds to me like an ATC bug that sometimes occurs, whereby a particular runway has been selected for landing in the FMS, but for some reason ATC clears the pilot to land on the parallel runway (even when that runway is closed for landings). That annoying problem happens to me at EKCH Copenhagen Kastrup :angry:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If you are using default ATC then there is a way to do it. When ATC assigns you to the wrong runway, choose the option "select another runway for landing". It will then offer you a side-step approach as others have pointed out. From there you must select the option "select another approach for landing". At that point ATC will give you the correct approach to the correct runway. Not a real-world scenario, but at least you will be cleared to your correct runway.

For the record, that does not work with runway 22L/22R at FlyTampa Copenhagen Kastrup

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Gaz only wants to use 03R to stop him crashing into hills!. There is nothing wrong with 03L. I can only think its a vectoring problem?

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Default ATC vectoring someone into a mountainside.... seems about right.

🤣😂🤣

• Like 2

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

8 minutes ago, IAhawkeyeDDS said:

Default ATC vectoring someone into a mountainside.... seems about right.

🤣😂🤣

🤣🤣🤣

"ATC....."Turn right heading 280. Descend and maintian 2500. You are cleared for the Controlled flight into terrain approach. Have a good day"