Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Lockheed Tristar of TAP Air Portugal

Here is JF's Tristar that I have not probably flown more than once ever. I recall, however, having flown the Captain Sim Tristar many times - including a recent flight for which I'd provided a post. This (early) JF version that I've here, is, a decent and fun-capable SIM - with pre-fitted INS CDUs, and allowed auto-upload of my waypoints into the INS for navigation (although I should have probably done manual entry for better realism).

The Lockheed Tristar is one of my most favorite iconic aircraft. This Trijet masterpiece, (with variants: 1/50/100/150/200/250/500), had followed B747 and DC10 into the market, as the 3rd wide-body airliner. It may not have been a commercial success, but it was a pioneer in many respects, and, most of all, was a beautiful aircraft. It was the first wide-body to receive FAA certification for CAT-IIIc auto-landing, for completely blind landings in zero-visibility weather conditions. Also, in designing its passenger cabin, Lockheed had gone to great lengths to make the aircraft feel more like a spacious home and eliminate the “tube” feeling that was so common on aircraft of this type (that is true even to this day).

And, the historic TAP Air Portugal that I've chosen here, is the flag carrier of Portugal. It has a long history, been founded in 1945, and having started service in 1946 with a single DC-3 between Lisbon and Madrid. In the 1980s, TAP had replaced its B707s/B747s with Lockheed Tristar 500s (last variant of the Tristars). TAP currently has gone to an all-Airbus fleet. So, please find below sample images of a dusk flight with the TAP L-1011-500, from LSGG/Geneva to LIPZ/Venice, taking off over Lake Geneva, towards Sion VOR, roughly tracking the ridges of the Swiss Alps. Thanks for viewing. [JF(Tristar)/MSE(Switzerland)/REX]

yTY5PN.png

1vLWZF.png

sAGPCj.png

1EGW8C.png

ylrinh.png

B3rb66.png

aSi6q0.png

wewvY8.png

weemrf.png

jtdjvA.png

ZrUM4H.png

4T7jUM.png

9QI1fn.png

AbmYbq.png

L3CtYX.png

hb1klk.png

0fpvIH.png

QWcB4G.png

8zxhBx.png

luiWqS.png

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Great shots. I have both versions except the JF model had issues so I just hangared it and used the CS version for a while. Not sure if i has been updated to P3Dv4.

May get it out of the hangar if it's been updated.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed this post. And I love the control pedestal shots.

John

• Like 1

Great set of screenshots. Being portuguese and living in lisbon I watched this beauty during many approaches and departures out of LPPT. A joy to watch and listen, good memories. I work on an hospital and recently I found that one of our patientes is a retired captain/instructor of TAP. Of course I took the first oportunity to talk with him about aviation and his flight experience. One of my first questions was if he flew the Tristar but unfortunately no. Among others he flew the Caravelle, 707, 727, A320 and A340. A true gentleman to talk with. Thanks for your shots, P_7878.

6 hours ago, vc10man said:

Great shots. I have both versions except the JF model had issues so I just hangared it and used the CS version for a while. Not sure if i has been updated to P3Dv4.

It is updated to v4, Rick.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, pedrotrindade said:

t is updated to v4, Rick.

Muito Obrigado Amigo para a sua noticia

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, pedrotrindade said:

You're welcome my friend,

Um grande abraço

Sadly, the CS Tri-Star is not yet P3Dv4 ready. Just tried to re-download it and it's still P3Dv3, unless you were referring to the Just Flight model. In which case, I won't even go there.

O grande nada from me!

6 minutes ago, pedrotrindade said:

Sorry Rick, my mistake, I thought you were referring to the JF version. I own both versions too.The 1011 CS version will be updated to v4 after their 777, but by the Captain Sim pace upgrades may take a while...

https://www.captainsim.org/forum/csf.pl?num=1496506789

Amigo, nao esta a problema agora . I can  wait. Besides, how long did I wait for a 757-200 to make it to P3Dv4? So I can bide my time.

9 hours ago, vc10man said:

Rick: Thanks. Yes, I agree this JF Tristar has/had some issues, probably the reason I've not flown it much in the past e.g. I do see signs I had tweaked/modified the air file a long while ago for my use...I noticed today JF has brought out a Professional Version (newer than the version I've used here, and, as already noted above, P3DV4 compatible) which may have fixed some of the earlier issues...Oh, well, you're willing to wait for the CS, which is good...

2 hours ago, pedrotrindade said:

Great set of screenshots. Being portuguese and living in lisbon I watched this beauty during many approaches and departures out of LPPT. A joy to watch and listen, good memories. I work on an hospital and recently I found that one of our patientes is a retired captain/instructor of TAP. Of course I took the first oportunity to talk with him about aviation and his flight experience. One of my first questions was if he flew the Tristar but unfortunately no. Among others he flew the Caravelle, 707, 727, A320 and A340. A true gentleman to talk with. Thanks for your shots, P_7878.

Thanks. Glad it brought back some memories for you...I like to pick liveries, that do not get enough "press"....🙂....

What you say about the TAP Captain you met, makes sense, the TAP Tristars were eventually replaced by A340s, which he said he flew for TAP...And, Yes, whenever I too have had a chance to meet/speak with a Captain/Pilot in RW, it has been always a pleasant experience. I recall, on one occasion, I got upgraded to the 1st class and got to seat next to a gentleman...(I forget it was a 757 or 767), and he saw me struggling with the multiple configurations/reclinings of the seat, that being my first first-class experience, and he patiently showed me how to do it. We started chatting some plane-talk. When we reached the Destination (Miami City), before he walked out, he shook my hands, and told me with a smile, "I now need to take this plane to San Juan". A really modest gentleman, he was...

4 hours ago, John F said:

Really enjoyed this post. And I love the control pedestal shots.

John

Thank you, John. Agree, these well-used/nearly-rusted pedestal pictures are always fascinating....shows where all the new and shiny stuff in the modern cockpits originated from...these planes were the true pioneers of advanced automation...

9 hours ago, pedrotrindade said:

I work on an hospital

Bom Dia amigo. You may be working with my cousin there, in a Lisboa Hospital. What a small world!

6 hours ago, P_7878 said:

I noticed today JF has brought out a Professional Version (newer than the version I've used here, and, as already noted above, P3DV4 compatible) which may have fixed some of the earlier issues...Oh, well, you're willing to wait for the CS, which is good.

I too have that JF's Professional but at the recent Flightsim in West Midlands, when I mentioned issues with it, they acknowledged and said would get back to me, but never did, hence, hangared.

Edited by vc10man