Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

POLL - flying at night

Flying at night...  

112 members have voted

1. 1. When you fly at night with Prepar3D...

• I fly at night with the HDR setting ON
    • I fly at night with the HDR setting OFF

Please indulge me.  I am running a little poll to get an idea of how many fly at night with HDR on or off?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I fly with HDR off full-time. I just don't like what it does to the writing in the cockpit.

• Like 1

Night flying?  I can't stay awake after 8pm at my age :wink:

• Upvote 2

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I keep it on day and night.  I also do not use bloom at all as I have never liked the effect.   

• Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I don't like to use it but find it necessary for landing lights to illuminate the ground using PMDG aircraft and perhaps others. Despise how it blurs the VC cockpit text. Necessary evil I reckon.

Edited by Adrian123

2 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

I don't like to use it but find it necessary for landing lights to illuminate the ground using PMDG aircraft and perhaps others. Despise how it blurs the VC cockpit text. Necessary evil I reckon.

this has been my experience 

4 minutes ago, madhouse1616 said:

this has been my experience 

I was hoping I was wrong! odd thing is , in the CS 757 textures are crisp and clearas can be with HDR at 2K. Just the PMDG for me. keep putting my glasses on and off with the 737 pmdg. 🙂

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I was hoping I was wrong! odd thing is , in the CS 757 textures are crisp as can be with HDR at 2K. Just the PMDG for me.

haven't had the issue in the cs757 either but it has creep up in the tdfi 717 for some strange reason … it doesn't happen often but it does happen .. I'm still troubleshooting 

• Like 1

I have heard that also.

2 minutes ago, madhouse1616 said:

haven't had the issue in the cs757 either but it has creep up in the tdfi 717 for some strange reason … it doesn't happen often but it does happen .. I'm still troubleshooting 

I have heard that also. I dont use the tfdi enough to know. Both are blaming LM. But why is the CS so beautiful, it is at night. I also see the texture blurry's at night on the older ported over Carenado stuff. Yes, Mip map off also.

Edited by Adrian123

8 minutes ago, madhouse1616 said:

I'm still troubleshooting 

I wish you luck. I've tried everything, hours of google searches including .cfg mods. No avail.

12 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

I never disabled the HDR option but can say that the night is pretty word not allowed dark (I think it got darker and darker with the newest P3D releases). Have to fight my way through the cockpit when in C&D.

Also I quotet the above because I wasn't aware that the HDR option has to be turned on so that the NGX illuminates the ground...I thought it was just the dynamic lights thingy...

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Never use and I fly at night mainly because my system time is the current Window-set time, and in a way I see it as a good challenge. But eschew HDR use. So, far, been no probs for me, and as pointed out the CS757v3 taxi light is so much brighter than 'say-no-name'.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:58 AM, GEKtheReaper said:

Also I quotet the above because I wasn't aware that the HDR option has to be turned on so that the NGX illuminates the ground

In my experience it doesn't. My taxi, runway turnoff, and landing lights illuminate the ground just fine in my NGX. 

I wonder if it depends on which airport you're using. I have noticed that some airports do not light up under the landing lights of other planes. Usually those are the smaller airports, though, with narrower asphalt runways. KRAC is one of them (obviously, I don't fly into that one in the 737).

If you guys with LL issues in the NGX would like to check some airports I fly in mine that illuminate fine, try Flightbeam KMSP, KDEN, KPDX, KSFO, and KIAD. Also, p3d4.4 default airports KLAX, KABQ, and KFLL among others that I can't remember right now, I know I've flown and gotten proper illumination from the NGX.