Sign in to follow this  
TheFl4me

Eye reference / Correct Cam position

So I purchased a TrackIR.

I have been scanning through the FCOMs of my various aircraft to find the correct eye reference to correctly adjust the seat (or in our case on a sim adjust the cam) to have the optimum position for each one.

Ive hit a snag with the 747 though, the only thing I was able to find is that the eye position indicators vertical line (the black crosshair on the edge of each window) is supposed to be at the edge of your field of view.

My problem (if I understand this correctly) is that this only takes care of 1 dimension (moving the seat back and forward)

What visual reference should I be using to move the seat/cam up and down?

The FCOM also mentions the red/white balls between the two front windows like on the Aribus aircraft but these arent modeled in the pmdg.

Is it like the other boeing family aircraft where the edge of the mcp should align with the bottom windows/fuselage and/or the top of the control column should align with the bottom edge of the PFD and ND?

Edited by TheFl4me

7 hours ago, TheFl4me said:

What visual reference should I be using to move the seat/cam up and down?

The horizontal black line on the windowframe crosshair - pretty obvious really! 

You should position yourself in the VC so that you can see the bottom of the ND and PFD and have a good view out of the whole of the front windscreen with the right hand half of the upper frame of the front windscreen just in view.  However, in the -8 aircraft you might want to position yourself slightly further back so that you can easily select the EFB/Radio hotspot without moving your seat position.  The centre of your PFD should also be centered relative to the centre of your body (i.e. in the middle of your monitor screen(s). 

You will know if you have got the seat position correct - or rather, not - when you try and land in 600 metres Viz and a cloud base of 200ft and have to go around because you saw nothing!  😀

Edited by berts

12 hours ago, berts said:

The horizontal black line on the windowframe crosshair - pretty obvious really! 

Thx for the reply, I assumed as much but how must I be positioned relative to that horizontal line? For the vertical line it says it must be at the edge of the field of view.

As for the rest:

I am currently using a triple screen setup with trackir and a zoom factor of 1x (I wont change the zoom factor as i dont want any distortion) so I really dont mind having to move the cam (infact I enjoy it and it makes it more realistic imo since irl a pilot doesnt have everything up in his face).

I have been flying for quite some time now so i already have a bunch of camera configs that work well for me so that isnt the issue. 

My goal now is to find the optimal by-the-book cam position as recommended in the FCOM, customization can come later.

As they have said the Black line is your eye level. Your eye level should match it. Also that Blackline should run through the middle of your screen. It is that simple for setting up the hight.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip