Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Cheapest way to buy software?

I recently bought the PMDG737-800/900 base package. I knew it would be expensive because of the dreadful exchange rate between the UKP and USD.

Whilst I can accept that because that's not the fault of the seller, what does annoy me is the surcharge applied to the purchase when paying by credit card. For that purchase of £70.17 a further £2.10 was added. That looks to be a 3% surcharge.

Talk about money for old rope. Does it really cost that much to process a credit card transaction? And what options does the customer have? I can hardly pay by cash.

Do people use PayPal and if so what are their charges like?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think that is fairly standard and PayPal will not really be much different.  Us Canadians are suffering huge with exchange these days and I think the only answer is to move the US ! 

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hi Ray. I know where you are coming from. My piece of advice, if you can, refrain from using PayPal for all but UK-only purchases such as from eBay, etc in £. Anything else as I found to my cots, their Exchange Rate is abysmal, worse than the bank's or credit card companies.

All CC purchases have a surcharge. Airline bookings carry a CC charge if the ticket is bought on CC, I know that for a fact. I use my CC for overseas $ purchases. And as simMarket have some kind of a tie-up with PayPal, I have stopped using simMarket asides from their woeful Support

Edited by vc10man

Mark, it sounds like you chaps are suffering even more than us Brits with poor exchange rates. And given the political situation here at present it might get even worse.

Rick, I'll keep clear of PayPal except for UK2000 stuff as there's no exchange rate involved. Gary's prices are pretty reasonable anyway. It's just when you buy aircraft the charges can be excessive.

I've just checked on SimMarket. Credit Card, PayPal and a couple of other options but no way of paying by debit card. Presumably because they can't fleece us for additional charges. 😠

Maybe some retaiilers are better than others. Recommendations?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It's surprising but several US cards including Bank of America have stopped charging foreign exchange fees for purchases in currencies other than $.  Recent trips to Europe and purchases in Euros have been more enjoyable because of this.  Apparently they have been making enough money by screwing us in other fashions. 

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

've just checked on SimMarket. Credit Card, PayPal and a couple of other options but no way of paying by debit card

Yet, I can buy on Aerosoft's Online Shop, amazingly with a UK DC. That says it all.

There was a post here, can't quite recall when, where someone pointed out to simMarket's tie-ups with............

7 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Yet, I can buy on Aerosoft's Online Shop, amazingly with a UK DC. That says it all.

There was a post here, can't quite recall when, where someone pointed out to simMarket's tie-ups with............

I shall investigate the Aerosoft payment options, thanks Rick.

LATER: Just started the purchase of the PMDG777 and again, not debit card option. This is a bloody disgrace. It's like an extra tax you can't avoid. 😣

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Additional info

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

There's some banks and credit cards that don't charge for transactions in other currencies. I use Halifax clarity card, should be others.

Just now, Fudge said:

There's some banks and credit cards that don't charge for transactions in other currencies. I use Halifax clarity card, should be others.

That's an option. How do you find out beforehand if a particular credit / debit card won't attract these charges especially with overseas sellers?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Caveat Emptor! I guarantee you they are all out to rob us all blind!

My MO is stop buying stuff. Don't buy anything unless its on sale or used.

I have plenty of money but the thief's who are selling the stuff I'd like to

have aren't getting any of it! 😁

Wisdom of the ages: "A fool and his money are easily parted"🤣

3 minutes ago, Avidean said:

I have plenty of money

Who's the ..thief?

Don't buy anything unless its on sale

That rules out anything from PMDG or FS Labs :wink:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

23 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Who's the ..thief?

Ha Ha! I ran a profitable and very competative business for 15 years. Looked after my customers and looked after my employees.

If your guts don't tell you that there is something wrong with $2000 for a flagship GPU or $190 for an addon aircraft etc. then I don't know what to tell you.

Regarding that CC service fee. There was a time that merchants where not allowed to pass that charge on to you!

Its all about getting everyone up to their neck in red ink and putting an end to freedom so that the corporations can finish the job of consolidating all world power to themselves.

If you've seen Hunger Games, that's the dystopia we are heading for but I done care. Soon I'll be up in the mountains in a log cabin and it will be shot first and ask questions later.😁

Now I am putting my Thin foil hat back on and VR headset over that so leave me alone.

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

That rules out anything from PMDG or FS Labs :wink:

Exactly!

Americans, Germans, French, Italians, Spanish and many other Europeans all have the opportunity to pay in their own currency. But we Brits don't and that really is annoying. When you look at the demographic makeup of FS users Brits are up there near the top.

SimMarket, Aerosoft and the rest should have the option of paying in UKP. It's disgraceful they don't give that option.

The best deal for me is using PCAviator who regularly give me a $10 discount and every Tuesday they have an additional discount. The only downside is the lack of software which is a fraction of SimMarket.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather