Sign in to follow this  
shafs67

Hotstart TBM900

Hi

Need some help with settings for the hot start TBM with the rudder peddles aircraft is all over the place with on take off and landing. Any tips would be great thanks

Shafs

Sadly, this is a issue most of are having..My TBM is grounded until it gets fixed. No way to keep it on th runway during takeoff. Don't get me started on the landing, especially with braking. The flight dynamics are in need of refining, overall. 

• Like 1

Peter Osborn

I think the same issue is affecting a lot of airplanes these days.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Small corrections and anticipate the aircraft.  Adjust your controller curves and practise.  I'm sure there are a lot of people who are pilots IRL, as I used to be, and, on the landing roll, I remember how small the inputs were when I was trying to steer in a Beech C23.

I also have the Kodiak and that was a bit touchy too but with some adjustments i was able to keep it on the runway. what rudder peddles are people using i have saitek.

3 hours ago, GoranM said:

Small corrections and anticipate the aircraft.  Adjust your controller curves and practise.  I'm sure there are a lot of people who are pilots IRL, as I used to be, and, on the landing roll, I remember how small the inputs were when I was trying to steer in a Beech C23.

yes more stick time will help. thanks for the videos nice flying.

Presence of body and mind on the act of flying is one hundred percent when flying in real life. The same is not true in case of simming. This is compounded by limited field of vision and gaming grade hardware.

I have seen that making a conscious effort of not moving my gaze from the end of runway and focussing my mind and body on maintaining centerline with anticipation and quick and small corrective actions actually improved my takeoffs.

Setting the power requies a few gazes off the runway. If this can be reduced by pre-determining the physical throttle position for the appropriate power setting, the gaze could then be fixed on the runway end.

Retards

Today was my second flight and i managed to break the elevator trim and rudder trim. I also rotated at low speed and nearly crashed. was also having issues getting it to hold alt in auto pilot.

the landing was better this time i fly in VR but only in TO and decent and will say the cockpit rocks in VR.

I am really liking this aircraft but it sure can be a handful at times. For take-offs small control adjustments and as Goran said: anticipate the aircraft is key to a good take off from the center line. However it's really hard to anticipate what'll happen when you land so I very often get caught totally off guard when landing resulting in some rather insane squirming all over the runway. That part is kind of annoying to me and I am having a hard time believing the real thing to be this crazy. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

8 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

I am really liking this aircraft but it sure can be a handful at times. For take-offs small control adjustments and as Goran said: anticipate the aircraft is key to a good take off from the center line. However it's really hard to anticipate what'll happen when you land so I very often get caught totally off guard when landing resulting in some rather insane squirming all over the runway. That part is kind of annoying to me and I am having a hard time believing the real thing to be this crazy. 

I would agree being a real pilot i have never seen this. but the biggest aircraft i have flown is a C182. the take off can be as hairy as the landings. I also like the aircraft as it looks great in VR.

I avoid using reverse prop on rollout.  That seems to be uncontrollable at least on my end.  With taxi angle and flaps up and Max breaking it's no issue to land on a short runway.

On take off I use a smooth application of power lever and just tiny rudder inputs otherwise you'll be all over the runway.  Also if you've got a crosswind dont forget your aileron input.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I love this plane! So much so, I honestly have to force myself to fly some other "toy" in my hangar. As a RW pilot this is pretty close to what this craziness we call simming is all about. The feel, the visuals and the sounds. Someone says I can't taxi, another, I can't landing straight. Every single pilot in the world who will land this plane, will land this plane a little bit different. I will say, that without proper tools, just like a great woodworker, flying a machine like the TBM just became that much harder. I am very lucky and very blessed to have those tools at this point of my simulation days. Yes, I am able to afford great pedals and other input controls, but those "tools", only allow me to be a better pilot ONLY after hours and hours and then more hours of practicing taxiing, then full throttle down the runway to feel the handling to then just before rotation slow her down and then do it all over again. I have flown for many years with CH Product rudders, and Saitek rudders and now really great pedals that came with a higher price, but that tool allows me to fly with confidence. To be a good pilot in any aircraft, with any tools, the process of training your brain is essential. Keep practicing. Read the POH. (it's only 700+ pages! 🙂 ) Learn everything about this amazing work of art, it's craftsmanship. It's just a fun plane to fly. Is it perfect? No, nothing is. But I would love to hear about how many of us practice, not just hop in and fly. The developers have giving us a true piece of art, that happens to fly really, really well! It's not the plane fault all the time. After almost 30 years of doing what all of us do each day and night for whatever reason (or excuse) we need, this plane is pretty darn close. 

Edited by dvlourie
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I have been flying the TMB for a few days. And agree that it will be hard to fly other sim aircraft. I just love it in VR you can do your preflight in VR and remove and the chocks and pitot covers close and open doors.

I'm not even much of a GA fan, but the TBM is definitely one of my favorite planes. I will agree its a little finicky with the steering, but you get the hang of it after awhile

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET