Sign in to follow this  
shafs67

Hotstart TBM900

On 1/26/2019 at 4:14 PM, GoranM said:

Small corrections and anticipate the aircraft.  Adjust your controller curves and practise.  I'm sure there are a lot of people who are pilots IRL, as I used to be, and, on the landing roll, I remember how small the inputs were when I was trying to steer in a Beech C23.

You did a great job in both of these videos keeping the plane straight. However, these characteristics are unrealistic. I have never been in a TBM but I do fly PC-12's and a variety of big bore singles and keeping the plane straight on roll out is not this difficult. These are 3 ton vehicles with a lot of momentum pointing forward. The roll out characteristics of the airplane in your videos look like the plane is getting hit with 40-50 mph gusts from different directions. I have no idea how X-plane can fix that, but its the last big thing keeping me from going to 100% x-plane. 

AMD 5800X | Nvidia 3090 FE | Samsung CRG9 49 inch monitor | Samsung M.2 NVMe 1TB|  3, 1TB SSDs| 32GB DDR4 @3600 cl 16| Windows 10|X-plane 11, MS2020

33 minutes ago, golfpilot said:

You did a great job in both of these videos keeping the plane straight. However, these characteristics are unrealistic. I have never been in a TBM but I do fly PC-12's and a variety of big bore singles and keeping the plane straight on roll out is not this difficult. These are 3 ton vehicles with a lot of momentum pointing forward. The roll out characteristics of the airplane in your videos look like the plane is getting hit with 40-50 mph gusts from different directions. I have no idea how X-plane can fix that, but its the last big thing keeping me from going to 100% x-plane. 

They're not my videos.  I simply did a google search of TBM landings in X-Plane, and these are the first 2 that came up.  I did, however, make the 3D mesh, textures, lighting and all the moving parts move.

I'm not a TBM expert, by any means.  But we did have a TBM pilot help us with making it, including testing it in sim and comparing it to his own TBM 900.  His name is Jason Miller and he is the co-founder of Foreflight.  
Here is a video of him giving it a test flight.
And here is a video of him taking his family on vacation in his own TBM 900.

We can only go by what the pilots tell us.  No offense, but I'm leaning towards Jason's feedback on how the TBM lands and handles.

I agree with Golfpilot! There is for sure an handling problem with TBM900.

It is too difficult.

It is sad that you do not want to acknowledge this problem. Maybe you could confirm the behavior with another TBM pilot?

Pierre

4 hours ago, Pochi said:

I agree with Golfpilot! There is for sure an handling problem with TBM900.

It is too difficult.

It is sad that you do not want to acknowledge this problem. Maybe you could confirm the behavior with another TBM pilot?

Pierre

We have no problem acknowledging it.  We've acknowledged many mistakes and addressed them immediately.  Hence the sequential updates from 1.0 to 1.1.4b (16 updates.  14 versions and an a and b update since October, all based on customer feedback).  We recently had a TBM pilot tell us a few issues with the engines that we're addressing.  And even this new pilot, who flies TBM's on a very regular basis, hasn't brought up the ground handling.  We also have one of the actual engineers from Socata in our discord interacting with us AND other customers...providing measurements for home cockpits, and he also has not brought up any issue with the ground handling.  We've confirmed the behaviour with 3 different people.  2 TBM pilots and an engineer who helped design the actual aircraft.  If, on the other hand, you want us to go against what THEY say, and change the behaviour of the TBM to something more easily manageable, we could very easily do that, but it would then not have the ground handling of a TBM 900.  

We can appreciate the fact it can be a little tricky to steer, as it is more sensitive than other add ons.  But we want to make it as realistic as possible.  We understand there are pilots of different aircraft who say the ground handling is wrong.  But every aircraft is different.  The TBM has a massive vertical tail and rudder.  It will definitely have an effect on steering at high speed (Above 40kts).  Many people have gotten the hang of it, and some have even said it was definitely their hardware, because when they changed from 1 type to another, it was much easier.  I wouldn't know what that involves as I don't have rudder pedals.  

• Like 1

Yes i am over the landings and take offs now. most are OK but still have a bad one now and then. But now we have the issue with the latest update from x plane the the TBM will not work and i am not able to go back to the old version of X plane so i cant fly it till the bug is fixed

The challenge of ground handling the TBM covers a broad spectrum from crash frequently to smooth as silk.

How can this be explained by an idiosyncracy in the software algorithms ?  Is it fair to say that once the algorithms run , they run the same for everybody ? 

On the odd occasion I used to play first person shooters it didn't occur to me to attribute my all too frequent losses to a fault in the game software.

I rarely scored goals in FIFA 2008 and I considered myself  lucky to go past 15 seconds in a kickboxing game. And Kobe Bryant always wiped the floor with me in NBA 2K17. 

I believed I had , and have  not , developed the skills necessary to overcome my opponents and the vagaries of the games.

Likewise in XP , I can't land the space shuttle on the runway .I've tried but I can't do it. But I know others nail it. My shuttle flying skills will never meet NASA standards. I don't think it has anything to do with Laminar or the way they modelled the spacecraft. 

• Like 1