Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

How is terrain loading on those I9?

8086K no HT; 3084 single threaded. that's on a ROG max code X board on which I ran the auto-overclock software. boot screen says 32% - not exactly sure what that 32% relates to (~5300 clock observed) but... HT on the best it'll do is 25%. not optimized beyond that and it's still cool running which is nice.

Edited by jpf

On 1/27/2019 at 10:30 AM, lownslo said:

Not a 9xxx series CPU, but for a point of reference my 8086K @ 5.4 GHz all cores scored 3275.

Greg

5.5 3345  bonus 5.5 stuff: cpuz 666 / cinebench 1/1 241 - all cores 1 thread 1405 / Realbench "Imaging" 306 17.3 sec / Aida 4200 c17 62GB read/write 36.5ns

5.4 3285

5.0 3040

4.8 2920

Edited by FunknNasty

correction:

single core cinebench score is actually 245  .....the multi core score is at 5.4 (could not complete run multi at 5.5).  ----sorry

So it comes down to: is main thread overclock potential of number of cores more important for P3D. Looks like 8086 based on the results above has a better chance of reaching 5.4ghz than the 9 series cpu's but the 9's have 8 cores compared to the 6 cores of the 8's

Makes sense that 6 cores have more OC potential than 8. I wonder are 8800K users getting 5.4ghz too or is it just 8086K users.

Still I am going to hold off until the 10nm chips come along. At 4.8ghz on my current system since I am using VR I think I might be underwhelmed by the return on my investment. But I will treat myself to 1080ti in the next week or so 😀

Thank you all for sharing your results you bunch of Lucky word not allowed.🤣

Edited by Guest
Inappropriate language, even when masked, is not allowed here at AVSIM. Last offensive word removed...

33 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Makes sense that 6 cores have more OC potential than 8. I wonder are 8800K users getting 5.4ghz too or is it just 8086K users.

I'm only familiar with the 8700K -- but I think westman and at least one other got around that with 8700K's but you would need to check with them for sure.  I'm not sure if they were delidded or not, I would think you would have to be to get that high.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Yeah, I'd be shocked if the my 8086 couln't do P3D stable at 5.5 (1.55v)  with little or no avx offset  -with a real cooler using the mobo's LN2 mode. I did boot to 5.6 {1.6v) today, but cpuz crashed at the bench run ....I do think 5.6 benches are possible if I use the LN2 mode to remove some of the circuit breakers. :-)

4 hours ago, Mace said:

I'm only familiar with the 8700K

Yeah that's what I meant to type. If I was going to build now that's what I would go for or an 8086K. In VR 45fps is the new 30fps and I am finding that I can manage that on fairly low Autogen  and LOD settings. But with the soft image of the Samsung Odyssey+ the difference between low and high autogen and LOD setting is not as stark as it is on a monitor. However, I find you really need 8xSSAA. I find that high AA setting are much more necessary in VR than on a monitor. Also other GPU intensive features such as shadows, quality and draw distance and water detail and tessellation are much more GPU dependent than CPU dependent. In fact tessellation takes some of the pressure of the CPU. Anyway I digress. Definitely, the smart move for me at this point given my usage is a 1080ti. The 980ti just isn't cutting it. But I am repeating myself.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Avidean said:

Yeah that's what I meant to type. If I was going to build now that's what I would go for or an 8086K. In VR 45fps is the new 30fps and I am finding that I can manage that on fairly low Autogen  and LOD settings. But with the soft image of the Samsung Odyssey+ the difference between low and high autogen and LOD setting is not as stark as it is on a monitor. However, I find you really need 8xSSAA. I find that high AA setting are much more necessary in VR than on a monitor. Also other GPU intensive features such as shadows, quality and draw distance and water detail and tessellation are much more GPU dependent than CPU dependent. In fact tessellation takes some of the pressure of the CPU. Anyway I digress. Definitely, the smart move for me at this point given my usage is a 1080ti. The 980ti just isn't cutting it. But I am repeating myself.

Just wondering whether you mean you need 8xMSAA? 8xSSAA seems an impossible target in VR?

7 hours ago, glider1 said:

Just wondering whether you mean you need 8xMSAA? 8xSSAA seems an impossible target in VR?

No, I mean 8xSSAA, My setting are quite low across the board. With my 980ti I can get 45fps with 4xSSAA and 30fps with 8xSSAA. I've settled for 4xSSAA but my eye is still drawn to shimmering and jagged edges in the distance. With 8xSSAA the image is perfectly smooth and of course soft with the Samsung Odyssey+. It is strange. On a monitor I could live with much lower AA but not so much lower autogen. As you know VR is a different animal. I also have shadows and other GPU intensive features turned down to achieve 4xSSAA at 45fps. I am still experimenting with setting but I know I am going to need a 1080ti to get the visuals in VR that I want. Which are 8xSSAA, Shadow quality and draw distance all the way right, most cast and receive boxes checked, water detail  all the way to the right. Of course tessellation has to be all the way to the right. Not interested in HDR. Some dynamic lighting and reflections if there is any juice left. Everyone's eyes and preferences are different, right.

By the end of this year intel 10nm cpu's will likely be available and it will be less of a lottery to get 5.4ghz+. Who knows maybe we will see 6ghz CPU's and even Prepar3D V5 by the end of this year. I'll wait it out one more year. 😁

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Avidean said:

By the end of this year intel 10nm cpu's will likely be available and it will be less of a lottery to get 5.4ghz+. Who knows maybe we will see 6ghz CPU's and even Prepar3D V5 by the end of this year. I'll wait it out one more year. 😁

I suppose these are going to require a different mobo than the LGA 1151 300 series that the i7 9700K and i9 9900K CPU's use....

1 minute ago, SunDevil56 said:

I suppose these are going to require a different mobo than the LGA 1151 300 series that the i7 9700K and i9 9900K CPU's use....

I would say definitely!

1 minute ago, Avidean said:

I would say definitely!

I figured as much, but thanks Dave..😎

2 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

I figured as much, but thanks Dave..😎

You wouldn't need to be really concerned about any of that anyway. Since you are running an i9 9700K at 4.9ghz which I assume you just put together recently and I'm sure that you must have at least a 1080ti in there if not a 2080 or a 2080ti. Your system is cutting edge right now. Mine and the OP's was cutting edge 5.5 years ago and it was built for FSX. It originally had a GTX 780 in it and about a year later another GTX 780 and about a year after that back to 1 GTX 780 after I figured out that SLI was not worth it for P3D. Then about a year and a half ago I got a used 980ti and after P3D V4 was released I was luck enough to find a matching par of Memory modules for the 8GB I already had for 16GB of 2400mhz CL9 . Now I am going to get ride of my 980ti and put a 1080ti in its place.

The i7 4770K was a real game changer for FS. 4.8ghz on air was a huge step forward. I suspect the OP followed the same build guide that I did. We are certainly in new build consideration territory. You might get 5 years out of your system before you build another. But given the way that P3D has gone to being far more reliant on the GPU and Multi-threaded than FSX ever was and that you have 8 cores on that CPU you'll probably go through at least one more GPU on that system before you'll build another.

This is good news! It has always been the case as far as I can remember that when you wanted to play the latest games and get extra gaming performance you just bought yourself the latest flagship GPU. I would say that I have build 4 systems over the years for my own use but in those systems I have gone through about 12 GPU upgrades. Every one of them delivered incremental performance improvement across the board on every computer game I ever played except FSX.

It is fantastic to see that P3D has arrived at a point where over the life of a system Prepar3D has benefited from what will be my 2nd real GPU upgrade on this system. I already know that going from 890ti to the 1080ti will be a good improvement as was going from the 780 to the 980ti. That's a 3GB VRAM to 6GB VRAM improvement right there.

I think once users see an obvious improvement they are happy for a while so once I get the 1080ti hopefully I'll be satisfied until the 10nm iX X990K at 6Ghz (OC'ed to 6.8ghz on air) and RTX 2180ti with 16gb of DDR6 are available. Oh and P3D V5 with its Vulkan graphic engine come along. 🙄🤣