Sign in to follow this  
FlyingMasterChef

P3D v4.4 CTD on airport change or aircraft move

Howdy all.  Let me start this off (trying to save you and me some time) by stating I have totally uninstalled then re-installed P3D v4.4 3 times.  The last after doing a full NEW install of windows 10 Pro after upgrading my system and adding a new SSD for the system and new SSD for the flight sim.  I have looked at the system logs and they show absolutely NOTHING after any crash from P3D.  And by nothing I mean absolutely NOTHING.  So when you ask, and you will, I will tell you that the Event Viewer shows NO ERRORS during the time anywhere near the CTD from P3D.  

What I do:  Start P3D v4.4.   Load any aircraft...it doesn't matter.  They all show and load just fine.  (This is true STOCK aircraft or in previous installs any add-ons.)  I can change any settings in the sim.  No problems.  I can start from stock airport and fly all day long.  I can look  at the map, etc...no problems.  However, IF at any time I select to change airport....(note, that window opens just fine) and then click to APPLY that change..........CTD!!!!     If I move the aircraft on the map and select to make that change..............CTD!!!!    

I have seen other people have reported SIMILAR issues back in 2017 so pretty sure (I know for a fact) that those fixes will NOT fix my issues.  A couple reports over on the P3D site have shown NO help or fixes either.  Hoping maybe someone here is smarter than the people that created the software because they have no explanation.  

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 4.3 and had no issues at all (since my system upgrade) and when I went back to 4.4 exact same issues.  

If you can't help, thanks for at least reading...  I KNOW I am not the only one with this issue..  And yes, I have re-downloaded the full version at their request and same issue.

Thanks again,

Greg

Sim: Prepar3D v4.3  | System: Windows 10 64bit | i7-2600K Quad Core (8 lcpu) OC-3800MHz | 16GB DC 666.7MHz | Gigabyte H67MA-D2H-B3 (F6) | 1 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB | 2 AOC 24" HD Monitors | 1 Dell 22" HD Monitor | 1 47" Vizio 3D HD TV/Monitor | 1 Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe Audio | 1 Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB | 1 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | 1 Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | 1 Seagate 2TB | 1 STECH 8TB | 1 Seagate 10TB | 1 Toshiba 3TB | HP BD-RE Blu-ray DL RW

full_sig_banner500x80.jpg

Hello from EDMA,

I had this issue after one of the Win10 updates. It resetted some values in the "dokuments" folder. 

Maybe this i a help for you:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128970

Happy landings

Markus

I have fixed this issue.  Pantherfan....you gave me an idea that not even the gurus at LM were able to come up.  Or they figured it was so simple that they didn't need to mention it.  And I will say it is ODD that it now works fine since after a full system re-install it shouldn't have been an issue...but here goes...  

I was unhappy that the new version wouldn't work...so I had installed 4.1 and 4.3 versions checking...and they both worked just fine.  4.4 again crashing.  No matter what.  Apparently, when you do a full uninstall, even using REVO Uninstaller Pro (one of the best purchases I ever made for my computer) many parts of the sim do NOT get removed.  I should have thought of this earlier but honestly, with the amount of stuff Revo finds AFTER the uninstaller does it's job I thought for sure it got it all.  WRONG!!!!   All the folders are still there in the C drive.  Under Users in the AppData folder and Documents folder.  3 Different places all had MANY files still there...  And considering the 100's of registry entries that are NOT deleted by the P3D uninstaller...(this should be a crime in my opinion) I should have thought to look for these before.   

I manually deleted ALL trace of P3D from my system by hand.  Then did a full install of P3D v4.4 and VIOLA!!!!!  It's working like a dream now.

As I think about it...after I did the system install on the new drive I DID copy my old registry and users files over so I wouldn't lose many of my programs data that I use daily.  I had backed them up before the new install.   This would explain a lot.

Again, however, SHAME ON Lockheed Martin for NOT uninstalling everything when you remove their software.  I despise programs like that which is why I bought the Revo software.  But even it didn't get it all. I have emailed their support to let them know so they can fix it on their side...but come on LM...  Uninstall means UNINSTALL!!!!

Greg

• Like 1

Sim: Prepar3D v4.3  | System: Windows 10 64bit | i7-2600K Quad Core (8 lcpu) OC-3800MHz | 16GB DC 666.7MHz | Gigabyte H67MA-D2H-B3 (F6) | 1 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB | 2 AOC 24" HD Monitors | 1 Dell 22" HD Monitor | 1 47" Vizio 3D HD TV/Monitor | 1 Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe Audio | 1 Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB | 1 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | 1 Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | 1 Seagate 2TB | 1 STECH 8TB | 1 Seagate 10TB | 1 Toshiba 3TB | HP BD-RE Blu-ray DL RW

An uninstall doesn't mean "destroy your data". I used to write zealous uninstallers that deleted every hint of my program.... that lasted until the instant I deleted something I shouldn't have (even when the user did something .... unreasonable).

What would you prefer, some extra settings (which you can nuke) or some of your files deleted?

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

5 hours ago, Luke said:

An uninstall doesn't mean "destroy your data". I used to write zealous uninstallers that deleted every hint of my program.... that lasted until the instant I deleted something I shouldn't have (even when the user did something .... unreasonable).

What would you prefer, some extra settings (which you can nuke) or some of your files deleted?

Cheers!

When I decide I don't want software on my computer anymore I DEMAND and EXPECT that everything the program installed gets removed.  There is NO excuse at all for software to leave any trace behind.  Have you ever run a Mac?  What gets installed gets removed.  You can move any program and its folder to any location or drive on a Mac.  And it will always still run.  The biggest problem with any windows PC is the registry.  It's the number one reason so many viri live on the WIndows platform. It's the reason for so many program errors and issues with files.  It's also the reason windows computers run so much slower than their Mac counterparts. 

That all said, for many reasons I MUST run on windows machines.  So yes, again, I absolutely DO WANT any program I install to not be a piece of word not allowed program and leave stuff behind when I get rid of it.  One of the reasons I and anyone with even 1/2 a brain will / should NEVER use NORTON as an anti-virus program is that if you ever uninstall it it leaves over 1000 registry entries not to mention hidden folders and files still on your computer.  

It's not hard....other programs do it.  You place the file or registry entry when you are installed, then you remove them when you are uninstalled.  How is this anything anyone at all would say is a bad idea.  

Greg

PS:  And yes, uninstall DOES mean destroy the data!!!!   LOL 

Greg, revo uninstaller pro has an option to install a program / application(with revo). Using this option, revo is monitoring installation and collecting all necessary data for uninstall. Only this way you can be sure everything is going to be removed(and nothing else destroyed). It‘s a really nice program, but it can happen to remove some other data if installation is not monitored 

2 hours ago, SpectroPro said:

When I decide I don't want software on my computer anymore I DEMAND and EXPECT that everything the program installed gets removed. 

You do know there are three files in the Add/Remove program that requires to be uninstalled?  When you uninstall each, the uninstall should be complete.  I'm thinking you got P3DV4.3 files mixed with P3Dv4.4 files as you did not completely uninstall P3D.  The P3D Forum, Tips and Tricks tells you exactly how to uninstall P3D and reinstalled it.  It even has pictures describing each action. 

• Like 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

12 hours ago, SpectroPro said:

I have fixed this issue.  Pantherfan....you gave me an idea that not even the gurus at LM were able to come up.  Or they figured it was so simple that they didn't need to mention it.  And I will say it is ODD that it now works fine since after a full system re-install it shouldn't have been an issue...but here goes...  

I was unhappy that the new version wouldn't work...so I had installed 4.1 and 4.3 versions checking...and they both worked just fine.  4.4 again crashing.  No matter what.  Apparently, when you do a full uninstall, even using REVO Uninstaller Pro (one of the best purchases I ever made for my computer) many parts of the sim do NOT get removed.  I should have thought of this earlier but honestly, with the amount of stuff Revo finds AFTER the uninstaller does it's job I thought for sure it got it all.  WRONG!!!!   All the folders are still there in the C drive.  Under Users in the AppData folder and Documents folder.  3 Different places all had MANY files still there...  And considering the 100's of registry entries that are NOT deleted by the P3D uninstaller...(this should be a crime in my opinion) I should have thought to look for these before.   

I manually deleted ALL trace of P3D from my system by hand.  Then did a full install of P3D v4.4 and VIOLA!!!!!  It's working like a dream now.

As I think about it...after I did the system install on the new drive I DID copy my old registry and users files over so I wouldn't lose many of my programs data that I use daily.  I had backed them up before the new install.   This would explain a lot.

Again, however, SHAME ON Lockheed Martin for NOT uninstalling everything when you remove their software.  I despise programs like that which is why I bought the Revo software.  But even it didn't get it all. I have emailed their support to let them know so they can fix it on their side...but come on LM...  Uninstall means UNINSTALL!!!!

Greg

did you follow  these  step 

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=125187

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Obviously I did NOT follow any instructions on uninstalling.  I stupidly ran the uninstaller.  Go figure...  

I do know that REVO has that feature.  I have, since this issue, started to use it.  In 5 years of owning 3 versions of the software I have never used that feature.  Will now.  🙂

Greg

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

You do know there are three files in the Add/Remove program that requires to be uninstalled?  When you uninstall each, the uninstall should be complete.  I'm thinking you got P3DV4.3 files mixed with P3Dv4.4 files as you did not completely uninstall P3D.  The P3D Forum, Tips and Tricks tells you exactly how to uninstall P3D and reinstalled it.  It even has pictures describing each action. 

I did uninstall all 3.  After uninstalling via REVO as well as running the after clean-ups which found many 100's of other registry and trace files....there were still entire areas of Lockheed Martin files left on the computer.  This won't happen again.  🙂

Greg

Glad to hear your problem is fixed! 

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10