Sign in to follow this  
Maplebud

Removing fs2004 aircraft from fsx

Hi guys having trouble removing fs2004 add-on aircraft from fsx. I have removed it from my simobjects folder but  when l look to change aircraft in fsx it shows as still avaliable. Just new to the hobby so probably missing something. . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you removing these aircraft folders while the Sim is not running?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

If you removed the aircraft from the FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes folder, it should be gone.  I would think it is still showing because it is still in the cache.  There is also a SimObjects folder in C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.  Maybe if you delete any entry regarding the aircraft there?

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the replies. Yes fsx is not running while trying to remove files. Yes Jim  l  did notice something odd when when l take the path like you suggest and look in the simobjects folder the plane is there. So l deleted the aircraft. Restarted fsx checked the aircraft list and plane is still on the list .So close fsx go back to C:\user\your name\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx and the plane is back in the simobjects folder there.  It's got me puzzled. It's the only simobjects folder that it appears in that l can see and doesn't want to leave.

Multiple copies of the same aircraft?  Do you have "show hidden files and folders" chosen in your Control Panel/Folders options?  Here comes a dumb question....if you select that aircraft, can you fly it?  If not, then I wonder if you have a thumbnail.JPEG floating around??

Keep in mind that any picture of an aircraft that you see in the Aircraft Select screen is merely a .JPEG picture.

Also, when deleting an aircraft, make sure to open it first and look to see that a model, panel, airfile, texture and sound folders are in there.  Otherwise it may not be what you think it is.  You may be deleting an AI aircraft.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I can still fly the plane. I'm  pretty sure l have "show hidden files and folders " checked but l will double check this and make sure the folder contains the texture,model ,panel etc.

25 minutes ago, Maplebud said:

I can still fly the plane. I'm  pretty sure l have "show hidden files and folders " checked but l will double check this and make sure the folder contains the texture,model ,panel etc.

The fact that the aircraft can still be flown kinda indicates you aren't being successful in deleting it.

I just had a thought...I get so few!:blink: There are downloads that I had and tried, but didn't really like.  On the first attempt to delete the folder in Simobjects, it didn't delete it and if you just hit delete, thinking it's deleting it's actually fooling you.  Some of these downloads require a full reboot of the computer to actually get the folders deleted.

One download, in particular, comes to mind...the F-4 Phantom "reborn" by David Robles.  I was checking it for another member over at SOH.  I had the download on my desktop and when finished, it would not delete.  I left it until this morning on a fresh start up of my computer to delete it.

Charlie Aron

Found the problem. Total brain fart on my part. I initially installed fsx on my D drive but this was listed as data drive so i thought better just put it on the C drive and then remove it from D drive and never did. Who said getting old wasn't going to be fun. The plane was loaded in both drives and my shortcut to launch fsx pointed to my D drive meanwhile I was trying to remove it from my C drive, which i had done. So ever time I started fsx it would load from my D drive where...you guessed it,the plane still existed. All manner of frustration inseud which lead me here. thanks again I'm sure there will be more questions as I get further and further down the flight sim rabbit hole. Maplebud over and out!