tutmeister

Just Flight Ortho with autogen released for UK South

Don't know how this compares to Orbx's TE yet but it is a good price. Am going to grab it tonight and do a comparison although so far Southern England TE is only out for Xplane. It is still the same files though so should compare ok.

I imagine the orbx autogen and custom buildings would be better but who knows? Competition is great!

Cheers

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 hour ago, tutmeister said:

I imagine the orbx autogen and custom buildings would be better but who knows? Competition is great!

Competition is normally great, but from the photos this Just Flight product is well down in quality compared to ORBX's TE, yet at the same price point.
Lower LOD, washed out colours, missing landmarks (no Shard building in London as the most obvious) and has poor water masking all highlighted on the product sales page!
It feels rushed, which is a shame. With a bit more care and attention, it could've competed on being more FPS friendly.

ORBX have announced that they are releasing their P3D version in the next week.
I will wait for this instead.

Edited by F737NG

@tutmeisterWhich simulators is this product for? I thought "Ortho" was an Xplane thing.

How come:

ORBX is using ZL17 = resolution ~1.2 m and uses 125 GB for the XP version. JustFlight says they are using the same general resolution (1.2 m) and require 10 GB only. They must be masters of compression.

Kind regards, Michael

20 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

@tutmeisterWhich simulators is this product for? I thought "Ortho" was an Xplane thing.

Any Sim can use orthophotos: P3D, XP, and Aerofly (the latter exclusively). Even FSX could.

Kind regards, Michael

@pmbso that would be what I've been calling "photographic scenery" for the last decade. So what platform is this "ortho" for?

1.2m/px resolution is what I would know as LOD15, so I'm guessing ZL17 is the Xplane equivalent? The Horizon VFR X Photographic (originally for FSX) I use is already at that resolution and the installation is definitely a lot bigger than 10GB but I understand you can compress BGLs a lot more for P3D.

Edited by ckyliu

As far as I can tell, orthophotos is more or less a synonym for photoscenery which I think is always based on orthophotos (what else?).

I'll leave it to the experts to explain the relation between resolution, LOD and ZL. I only read, both products (ORBX and Just Flight) claim to use a general resolution of ~ 1m/pixel. While ORBX on screenshots indeed looks much better.

Kind regards, Michael

"Ortho" is a sim agnostic term, and frankly one I prefer to the old "Photoreal" often used in FSX' heyday. 

Just took a look at the VFR Real Scenery product page at JF (and to clarify, yes this is for FSX/P3D) and it was less than exciting.  Some of the London shots (one in particular looking up the Thames at Tower Bridge and the Tower of London) were, well, underwhelming and I agree with other comments about poor water masking, etc.  I like competition too, but based on the product page images, I don't think this offers much competition to Orbx TrueEarth stuff.

Scott

• Like 1

Initial thoughts only....

I'm going to hold off on direct comparisons and screen shots until I can compare directly to P3D TE rather than the x-plane version.

It is a long time since I have used the generation X scenery but it feels a bit like that with revolution X over the top. It isn't the sharpest but the entire install directory is less than 7.5 GB. Performance is good in that on a 8600 at 4.5GHz and a 1080ti over orbx England I run high settings with the scenery sliders about 3/4 to keep 60fps. With this I have every slider to the right and get around 80fps. Turning on vsync give a solid 60fps and a very nice flight experience in the a2a Cherokee. The autogen is pretty generic with houses and industrial buildings in mostly the right places. Tree and house sizes are pretty good too. It is a bit washed out and needed some hdr tweaking to make it look good. Scenery popping was evident in the distance but then this is P3D.

I did compare to x-plane TE but the x-plane scenery engine is so different I don't think it would be an accurate comparison so will have to wait a week or so. Also x-plane TE seems to have some sort of weird granular texture overlay to try and compensate for the lower resolution that they used on England compared to the Netherlands. However it doesn't pop autogen in and the region specific houses are great. Flying with clear road textures looks great as it nullifies the horrible dual carriage ways that x-plane seems to stick everywhere. Anyway this isn't about x-plane so once TE is out I'll post some comparison shots.

Cheers

Edited by tutmeister

If you have ORBX UK advised to remove for TE according to John performance impact, JF product  will run on FSX and P3Dv4 there's a clue to performance. 

Was a bit underwhelmed by the screenshots, but when they bring out NW England volume I will probably give it a try.

As much as I support our own Just Flight.... those water masks / coastal zones are ugly !

Look at Horizon's old FSX photoscenery.... THAT is how to do water masks and coasts.

Non-starter for me... unless they redo them.

The inland areas and the cliffs on the coast, look great, but I cannot get past the harsh and jarring coastlines.... AND there are too many sharp demarcation areas, with regimented patches of light blue water... ouch. Nasty.

Edited by Gabe777

Only If you are struggling to have a good framerate you should buy JF UK. 

Otherwise go with TU UK....

Well, if the product-page screenshots look that bad, I believe that it is definitely not worth buying. My free orthophotos/autogen look much better.

But for FSX users ORBX is not an option, I don't use it but it`s not dead sim for a lot of simmers.

• Upvote 1

FSX already has Horizon/Playsims or Justflight, although the colours are patchy. It can then be topped with Earthsims Treescapes or JF Revolution X. I actually currently run this setup in P3D, although TE will obviously be a welcome step up.

19 hours ago, ckyliu said:

FSX already has Horizon/Playsims or Justflight, although the colours are patchy. It can then be topped with Earthsims Treescapes or JF Revolution X. I actually currently run this setup in P3D, although TE will obviously be a welcome step up.

These products are pretty much obsolete now. This is a nice all in one product that is easily the match of those mentioned, it has a central installer and it will get regular updates of autogen data. I would say this is a great replacement with active development and support for those older products. Remains to be seen what true earth is like in P3D, I wish they would hurry up and release it!!

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Not disputing that, but I was replying to Raymond who said ORBX TE would not be an option. I will probably get TE at some point when there's an offer, but I'll consider it an evolutionary upgrade on what I already have (basically just adding 3D buildings, landmarks and colour correction).

What is interesting to note is that Xplane TE GB North mesh is only 30m resolution. The Horizon "ortho" included a 5m mesh.

Edited by ckyliu

35 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I'll consider it an evolutionary upgrade on what I already have (basically just adding 3D buildings, landmarks and colour correction).

Every element is new, yet still not enough to be more than an upgrade?

At which point does new photo imagery from within the last 12 months, versus from 1999,

bespoke autogen that does not fill villages with vast industrial warehousing and cover open

cornfields with random conifer trees, handmade POIs and airports tailored to fit the aforementioned photo scenery

become more than an evolutionary upgrade in your world?

Edited by nolonger

What is interesting to note is that Xplane TE GB North mesh is only 30m resolution. The Horizon "ortho" included a 5m mesh

I was under the impression that TrueEarth products have a 10m resolution mesh? Even so, I would have hoped that ORBx could have included a 5m mesh in TrueEarth GB. I do not fully understand why they did not go for that. Maybe it has something to do with the bane of building autogen in flight simulators......buildings sticking out of hill sides? :angry:

Edited by Christopher Low

@nolonger All those problems you mentioned, I don't have any of them. My trees are perfectly placed with Treescapes. I have UK2000 VFR Airfields (and some Xtreme). So yes, for me, TE will be an evolutionary upgrade of my simulator's capabilities, it's just replacing what I already have with an improved version, adding buildings (don't have any autogen buildings at the moment) and updating the imagery. I do of course understand it is an all new product, but the experience I get from it will not be all new.

I will reserve judgment until I see it working on my PC, but I am expecting TrueEarth GB to be a significant upgrade from the Horizon photoscenery/ES Treescapes combination that I use at the moment. I have always wanted to be able to fly around a properly colour corrected photoscenery version of the UK that has realistic autogen buildings (both in looks and placement) and a huge number of bespoke 3D models of landmark buildings and other objects, together with an even more comprehensive coverage of trees. Add to that an electricity pylon network and accurately placed wind turbines, and things start to get very interesting.....

Edited by Christopher Low

I didn’t think I’d be interested in the Just flight  scenery but having thought about it I’m now thinking it might just be the perfect thing I’m looking for.

Having filled my HD with orbx TE for x plane I don’t want to have the same 300GB plus of duplicated scenery for P3D. I’m going to streamline my sim use a bit now for U.K. flying with  x plane for low VFR work and P3D more for IFR and airline operations. I’d still like some photo scenery in for the U.K. in P3D though as it looks good when you break out of the clouds.

So the Just flight scenery although perhaps not looking as polished as orbx TE has a much smaller footprint so should fit the bill nicely.

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Add to that an electricity pylon network 

That particular feature can already be had for free until TE comes to P3D, it's called the FSX Power Project and it works a charm.

11 hours ago, ckyliu said:

So yes, for me, TE will be an evolutionary upgrade of my simulator's capabilities, it's just replacing what I already have with an improved  but the experience I get from it will not be all new.

I understand now, presumably if you were to own a car and buy a new one to replace it, that would

also be an evolutionary update, since it is still the experience of driving, or perhaps moving house is

an evolutionary update, since it is still occupying a property.