Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

Just Flight Ortho with autogen released for UK South

FSX already has Horizon/Playsims or Justflight, although the colours are patchy. It can then be topped with Earthsims Treescapes or JF Revolution X. I actually currently run this setup in P3D, although TE will obviously be a welcome step up.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

19 hours ago, ckyliu said:

FSX already has Horizon/Playsims or Justflight, although the colours are patchy. It can then be topped with Earthsims Treescapes or JF Revolution X. I actually currently run this setup in P3D, although TE will obviously be a welcome step up.

These products are pretty much obsolete now. This is a nice all in one product that is easily the match of those mentioned, it has a central installer and it will get regular updates of autogen data. I would say this is a great replacement with active development and support for those older products. Remains to be seen what true earth is like in P3D, I wish they would hurry up and release it!!

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Not disputing that, but I was replying to Raymond who said ORBX TE would not be an option. I will probably get TE at some point when there's an offer, but I'll consider it an evolutionary upgrade on what I already have (basically just adding 3D buildings, landmarks and colour correction).

What is interesting to note is that Xplane TE GB North mesh is only 30m resolution. The Horizon "ortho" included a 5m mesh.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

35 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I'll consider it an evolutionary upgrade on what I already have (basically just adding 3D buildings, landmarks and colour correction).

Every element is new, yet still not enough to be more than an upgrade?

At which point does new photo imagery from within the last 12 months, versus from 1999,

bespoke autogen that does not fill villages with vast industrial warehousing and cover open

cornfields with random conifer trees, handmade POIs and airports tailored to fit the aforementioned photo scenery

become more than an evolutionary upgrade in your world?

Edited by nolonger

What is interesting to note is that Xplane TE GB North mesh is only 30m resolution. The Horizon "ortho" included a 5m mesh

I was under the impression that TrueEarth products have a 10m resolution mesh? Even so, I would have hoped that ORBx could have included a 5m mesh in TrueEarth GB. I do not fully understand why they did not go for that. Maybe it has something to do with the bane of building autogen in flight simulators......buildings sticking out of hill sides? :angry:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

@nolonger All those problems you mentioned, I don't have any of them. My trees are perfectly placed with Treescapes. I have UK2000 VFR Airfields (and some Xtreme). So yes, for me, TE will be an evolutionary upgrade of my simulator's capabilities, it's just replacing what I already have with an improved version, adding buildings (don't have any autogen buildings at the moment) and updating the imagery. I do of course understand it is an all new product, but the experience I get from it will not be all new.

support1.jpg

I will reserve judgment until I see it working on my PC, but I am expecting TrueEarth GB to be a significant upgrade from the Horizon photoscenery/ES Treescapes combination that I use at the moment. I have always wanted to be able to fly around a properly colour corrected photoscenery version of the UK that has realistic autogen buildings (both in looks and placement) and a huge number of bespoke 3D models of landmark buildings and other objects, together with an even more comprehensive coverage of trees. Add to that an electricity pylon network and accurately placed wind turbines, and things start to get very interesting.....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I didn’t think I’d be interested in the Just flight  scenery but having thought about it I’m now thinking it might just be the perfect thing I’m looking for.

Having filled my HD with orbx TE for x plane I don’t want to have the same 300GB plus of duplicated scenery for P3D. I’m going to streamline my sim use a bit now for U.K. flying with  x plane for low VFR work and P3D more for IFR and airline operations. I’d still like some photo scenery in for the U.K. in P3D though as it looks good when you break out of the clouds.

So the Just flight scenery although perhaps not looking as polished as orbx TE has a much smaller footprint so should fit the bill nicely.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Add to that an electricity pylon network 

That particular feature can already be had for free until TE comes to P3D, it's called the FSX Power Project and it works a charm.

support1.jpg

11 hours ago, ckyliu said:

So yes, for me, TE will be an evolutionary upgrade of my simulator's capabilities, it's just replacing what I already have with an improved  but the experience I get from it will not be all new.

I understand now, presumably if you were to own a car and buy a new one to replace it, that would

also be an evolutionary update, since it is still the experience of driving, or perhaps moving house is

an evolutionary update, since it is still occupying a property.

@nolonger Yeah a car is a good example, but for me to think of it as an evolutionary upgrade it need to be a similar car, so for example if I had an E90 2008 BMW 320d SE and I replaced it with a new shape F30 2012 BMW 330i xDrive MSport - things are familiar but improved. As it happens I had a midlife crisis and went for revolution instead and swapped my diesel hatchback for a rear wheel drive 2 seat convertible! I best shush now because I think I've gone wildly off topic and in to car geekery realms 🤣

Edited by ckyliu

support1.jpg

That particular feature can already be had for free until TE comes to P3D, it's called the FSX Power Project and it works a charm

Yes, I know. I use FSX Power Project at the moment. I was just implying that with TrueEarth GB we get everything in one package.

So the Just flight scenery although perhaps not looking as polished as orbx TE has a much smaller footprint so should fit the bill nicely.

That smaller HDD footprint puzzles me. The Horizon scenery for the same region (without any autogen) occupies something like 28GB of hard drive space...

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Two reasons.

1. The Horizon stuff had 2m and 5m scenery.

2. It just isn't as good. Look at the water masks. The UK coastlines done properly, as Horizon did them, probably accounts for a third of the total textures... JFs effort in this department looks like a brown and light blue paintbrush, probably applied, in Microsoft Paint !

It's embarrasingly, awful.

Did anybody else try it? How's the perfrormance in EGLL and EGLC with it?

Thanks

On 1/28/2019 at 6:50 PM, tttocs said:

"Ortho" is a sim agnostic term, and frankly one I prefer to the old "Photoreal" often used in FSX' heyday. 

Just took a look at the VFR Real Scenery product page at JF (and to clarify, yes this is for FSX/P3D) and it was less than exciting.  Some of the London shots (one in particular looking up the Thames at Tower Bridge and the Tower of London) were, well, underwhelming and I agree with other comments about poor water masking, etc.  I like competition too, but based on the product page images, I don't think this offers much competition to Orbx TrueEarth stuff.

Scott

I agree completely Scott. I would certainly not buy the product based on, what I see as pretty poor ortho imagery.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776