Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Addon XML method of scenery installation

Can someone explain to me what is so special about the "Addon XML" method of scenery installation? Is there a reason why LM could not have simply moved the scenery.cfg file to an external location, and thereby avoid having to use additional software to change the order in the Scenery Library? Since installing P3D v4, only two of my addons were installed using the new method (Aerosoft Heathrow Professional and Gibraltar Professional). However, it annoyed me that I could not move these from the top of the Scenery Library, so I deleted the "Addon XML" config file, and manually added entries for both of them to the Scenery Library. As far as I can tell, they are working fine. Does the "Addon XML" method somehow retain links to texture/effects files that were installed by some scenery packages, and then add those again when P3D is reinstalled?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Using the addon.xml method lets you add scenery (or anything else for that matter) without directly editing the relevant config files.  This is seen as a good thing because it means that the config files don't get messed up by users who think they know more than they actually do.

It also means that if you uninstall the sim, and reinstall, the stuff referenced by the addon.xml file will be loaded in your new installation without any further effort on your part.

Also, and eluded to by ddawson, you can add simobjects, effects, autogen, sound, etc.... and with the legacy scenery.cfg method you could only add scenery (scenery and textures).

I spent a couple of days reading the sections in the SDK documentation, and playing with it trying different things and feel very comfortable using it.  Those that do not want to take the time to learn how this method works can use the Lorby Addon Organizer.

Dan Downs KCRP

What about texture/effects files that are installed by the addon directly into the main texture/effects folders? Are the references to these retained, and then the relevant files added back from the twilight zone when P3D is reinstalled?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just now, Christopher Low said:

What about textuire/effects files that are installed by the addon directly into the main texture/effects folders?

You don't let the installer to do it.

When you set up an xml for said addon, you add texture and effects components into that addon xml.

Santiago de Larminat

16 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

What about texture/effects files that are installed by the addon directly into the main texture/effects folders? Are the references to these retained, and then the relevant files added back from the twilight zone when P3D is reinstalled?

13 minutes ago, Guevorkyan said:

You don't let the installer to do it.

When you set up an xml for said addon, you add texture and effects components into that addon xml.

You set the installer to point to another location so that it installs outside the main P3D folder (textures, effects, scripts, etc.) to wherever you want them to go. (You may need to create a dummy FSX/P3D .exe file to get an auto-install where you want for older scenery).

Using Lorby's P4AO, you can then direct the subsequent add-on.xml for each scenery (and it's dependent files) to be located by P3D without touching the main P3D directory structure.

While it hasn't been perfectly adopted yet, more and more developers are finally embracing the .xml method of installing away from the usual locations - even ORBX has said it will be embracing it, as it is a less stressful method of updating whenever a point release of P3D occurs.

Edited by F737NG

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter