Sign in to follow this  
fudd

Why Bit Torrent?

I would like to use FreemeshX but have no idea how to download a bit torrent file never mind how to use it if I could download it.

Can I not find a means to download this program with a standard download action?

You'll need to download and install a torrent program such as uTorrent or free download manager. 

You then download the torrent file and open it in the program.

It then finds other people hosting the free mesh files and transfers you a copy. You in turn can automatically upload files to other users.

It's more economical than a dedicated server running all the time. It is safe for legal files such as free mesh. It is also safe to pause and restart torrent downloads, useful given the size.

Please only download freemesh and other legally free files.

I rather think I have just answered you at the Orbx forum.

Edited by nolonger

The distribution costs of serving 50 GB of files to a user at a time are huge. That's like NetFlix serving a viewer 10 feature-length films. Obviously, the demand for FreeMeshX is not NetFlix-levels, but even a tiny fraction of that demand is cost-prohibitive.

Bit-torrent is designed for transferring large files while distributing the costs of bandwidth onto the P2P network. It's basically tailor-made to be the solution for things like FreeMeshX. Without bit torrent, FreeMeshX probably couldn't exist.