Sign in to follow this  
Gloryiam

No dome light illumination

I am using P3D v4.3 and the blue dome light in the plane lights up when turned on but does not illumine the cabin at all. The other lights (instrument and overhead panel) work fine though. Has anyone had this issue and found a solution?

Thank You!

I have the same issue with the Navajo in P3D v4.4 and don't know any solution. My guess is that it has not been programmed to illuminate the cockpit, but simply apply an "illuminated" texture to the dome light itself.

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

The dome light is actually an effect, I added it to the fuel selector area in order to be able to see it at night, but that was in FSX.  My guess is since it is not illuminating anything in P3D that is a problem with the effect file or it is not called for in the aircraft cfg file.  The file name is fx_vclightcarpnblue.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks for the replies!

I contacted Carenado support and they suggested turning off HDR which I did, but it did not solve the issue. I am awaiting further suggestions from them now.

As for that effect file, this is what I have in the aircraft cfg regarding it:

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 = 10,  0.15,   0.00,  1.30, fx_vclightcarpnblue

Edit: And I do have that file in the effects folder. I could post the contents of it here if that's allowed and would help?

Does that look right?

Edited by Gloryiam

Yep, that's the correct file name, but the stock FSX cfg entry looks like this.

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 = 10,  0.15,   0.00,  1.30, fx_vclightcarpnblue
//light.1 = 1, -0.20,  0.00,  -0.40, fx_vclightpa34
light.1 = 1, -0.20,  0.00,  -0.40, fx_vclightcarpnblue
//light.2 = 1, -0.40,  0.00,  -0.40, fx_vclightcarpnblue

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If still does not work then it is likely an issue with the effects file or some coding in the aircraft's virtual cockpit model.  To see if it is the effects file, substitute a virtual cockpit light file that is known to work in P3D.

7 hours ago, stans said:

To see if it is the effects file, substitute a virtual cockpit light file that is known to work in P3D.

Have been following this thread with interest as the Navajo is one of my favorites and I have the same lack of the overhead light effect in P3Dv4.4. Tried a substitute vclight file based on your suggestion and can confirm that it works.

Hope that helps.

Jesse

Edited by JesC

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

There you go!  If an effects file that is known to work illuminates the vc, but the file that came with the Navajo does not, it is the Navajo's effects file that is either missing, corrupt, or has some issue that prevents it from being displayed.

I just tried another fx file also and it finally worked! I used one from the Caravan called fx_vclightcardose2. There are also fx_vclightcardose and fx_vclightcardose1 but the version with the 2 was the brightest.

Thank you very much stans for all your help, it was most helpful 🙂

Glad that I was able to be of assistance and it just proves that even a blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn. :biggrin: