Sign in to follow this  
simba_nl

ProgramData folder stays invisible

I need to edit the Scenery.cfg file but although I made the hidden files and folders visible and can go to the other "hidden folders" Programdata stays invisible in my Win10 October 2018 release.

Who knows the answer/solution?

Thx.

First, you seem to be looking in the wrong place for scenery.cfg. It's normally stored in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\.

If you still need to access ProgramData, I have Windows 10 (1809) and that folder is visible in File Explorer so it would appear to be a setting issue on your system. Make sure that you have the C drive selected then in the File Explorer view options, make sure that you have "Show hidden files, folders and drives" ticked. I have also unticked "Hide protected operating system files...". After you apply the settings, I'd also click the "Apply to Folders" button at the top of the box.  If you've already done this then I'm out of ideas.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

unticked "Hide protected operating system files  was the solution and new for me since I left Win7x64

Thx vortex681

On 2/1/2019 at 11:07 AM, vortex681 said:

First, you seem to be looking in the wrong place for scenery.cfg. It's normally stored in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\.I

No, C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg, as stated by the OP.

If you can contrive to see the programdata folder, you can easily remove the hidden marker, then you can see it without

revealing the vulnerable other hidden and system files.

You can do the same for the appdata folder if you trust yourself enough.

4 hours ago, nolonger said:

No, C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg, as stated by the OP.

Whilst there is, indeed, a scenery.cfg in that location, the one I've always used successfully is the one stored in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ (which is also the location for fsx.cfg and cameras.cfg). Both scenery.cfg files appear to be identical on my system.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The one stored in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ is merely a backup and the simulator does not read it.

You will see one in your FSX root folder as well and it does not read that one either.

Here is the Scenery Config Editor preferences window.

Untitled.jpg

Not sure what to tell you. The appdata file is the only one I've ever used. I don't have the Scenery Config Editor (I don't have Java installed for security reasons) so can't show a screen shot. Perhaps something changed the scenery.cfg location for me in the past.

If it works for you, good.

However, for everyone else, including the author of this topic,

the active file is C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg