Sign in to follow this  
CaptCWGAllen

ORBX TrueEarth GB North released

Anyone have it,,like it?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

The photoscenery is good, the best UK photoscenery I am aware of.

I personally don't like the buildings at all, to me they look entirely false. Others may well enjoy them, the same goes for the trees.

Phil

I don't have this new one, just the first (GB South). I bought it because I have a helicopter in the FSEconomy game based in the UK, so I wanted to check it out.

I have a love-hate relationship to this project. I'm not a fan of orthos to begin with, but I like seeing the landmarks, the churches, the cars driving on the wrong side of the road... 😉 

I don't know enough about the UK (never been there) to judge the autogen buildings, but at least it looks different from other places I'm flying. Frame rate is fine, which surprised me.

The downside for me are the occasional artifacts from the relatively low-res photos. They've done a good job of cleaning up color matching, but once in a while I'll see something like a car park that's just a blotchy 2D mess on the ground. It probably wouldn't be noticed up in the flight levels, but since I'm using a helicopter at 1000-2000 ft. it stands out like a sore thumb. 

It's the Catch-22 with this type of scenery. You can only appreciate the detail when flying low enough, but that means any glitchy artifacts are very noticeable.

I'm still dithering about whether to buy the GB Mid and GB North package. I need to fly my helicopter north out of the GB South zone and compare with default/HD mesh scenery and autogen, to see if the immersion-breaking artifacts are worth it.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Please take my earlier comments back entirely. I'm sorry I was reffering to the JustFlight UK scenery for P3d that was released yesterday.

As for the ORBX scenery, I agree with Parafin, the actual photoscenery is very poor in places, very poor indeed, it does spoil things if,as I do, you fly low and slow. The trees are quite convincing but the buildings spoil it loads for me, especially if you know the area. A lot of the churches are wrong, steeples towers Stately homes often look modern like blocks of flats.

Here's what I mean about artifacts. I think those are supposed to be cars down there. NOTE: this is GB South, not North, but it's relevant to whether I'm going to buy the new releases or not. Still thinking about it.

Orbx-GB-South---Bell412_1.jpg

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I’ve installed it this afternoon, I now have the complete set of 3.

its as good as the other 2 orbx TEs as far as I can tell, only done a short low level flight up to Edinburgh in the Just flight hawk, (flew under the bridges obviously). The notes say the mesh is 30m whereas the previous 2 volumes were at 10m? If this is correct I can’t say I’ve noticed much difference so far , not been up to the highlands yet though where it might be more obvious.. 

Theres also the Isle of Man included with a separate iom airport being released this year apparently.

i feel content now having the whole of mainland Britain as TE scenery, it should offer some good exploration for my SF260.

I don’t think I’m going to bother with the P3D versions as well, it’s a lot of HD space for a duplication, and I suspect it won’t look as good or flow as smoothly as the X plane version, could be wrong, we’ll find out this week once the P3D TE south gets released.

Edited by jon b
  • Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

My review - two out of three ain't bad.  I've looked at several areas of the country and get the impression the scenery was done by a different outfit.  Even in the capitol, Edinbrugh, most of the scenery is generic and what they'v planted as POI's looks ridiculous.  As a native Scot, I'm perhaps looking too critically but the quality just isn't there.  A particular point of interest - some of the POI's were done by the same person for a previous FTX SCO and they were much better than those in "North".

Edited by olderndirt