Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Mute MCE mic?

Is there a way, or could there be, to mute the mic using a configured keyboard key or joystick button rather than clicking the mic icon?

I have simulator sound through my pc speakers and MCE & Squawkbox / iVap sound through my headphones, however the MCE FO has a habit of picking up spurious sound from the speakers and misinterpreting it and performing weird actions.....even once turned engines off mid flight!

Ideally it would be better to allow a key / joystick press to speak to the FO, as one can with ATC.

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

1 hour ago, STUART_H said:

Is there a way, or could there be, to mute the mic using a configured keyboard key or joystick button rather than clicking the mic icon?

I have simulator sound through my pc speakers and MCE & Squawkbox / iVap sound through my headphones, however the MCE FO has a habit of picking up spurious sound from the speakers and misinterpreting it and performing weird actions.....even once turned engines off mid flight!

Ideally it would be better to allow a key / joystick press to speak to the FO, as one can with ATC.

There is provision for that. 

The keyboard Numlock key when activated (keyboard light ON), will disable all MCE speech reco, until you press and release it a second time.

To prevent this spoiling the Demo with users wondering why Fo cannot hear anything, you must enable the feature explicitly.

Go to MCE user interface, "general" tab and click <More options> button.

In "Advanced options" panel, enable option "Numlock mutes reco".

After that, the key should be functional.

gerald

I prefer this "NumLock" feature .... & not just because for some reason I can't make the alternative ways of assigning joystick buttons / keys with fsinsider.ini with my combination of MCE & 64bit VoxATC in P3D4.4 (as per https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/535553-assigning-a-key-for-mute/?tab=comments for example).

But to be honest, I find it counter-intuitive to see the keyboard's "Numlock" light on when MCE's recognition is off ........ and also that this (given it's only occasionally used by me anyway, thus numpad is off most of the time) effectively removes 15 keys assignments from the sim/fsuipc's list.

ScrollLock would seem a more palatable alternative or at least reverse the "NumLock" to be llight on when MCE is.

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin

15 hours ago, vadriver said:

gerald

I prefer this "NumLock" feature .... & not just because for some reason I can't make the alternative ways of assigning joystick buttons / keys with fsinsider.ini with my combination of MCE & 64bit VoxATC in P3D4.4 (as per https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/535553-assigning-a-key-for-mute/?tab=comments for example).

But to be honest, I find it counter-intuitive to see the keyboard's "Numlock" light on when MCE's recognition is off ........ and also that this (given it's only occasionally used by me anyway, thus numpad is off most of the time) effectively removes 15 keys assignments from the sim/fsuipc's list.

ScrollLock would seem a more palatable alternative or at least reverse the "NumLock" to be llight on when MCE is.

By default "ScrollLock" is automatically assigned for opening and closing ATC window (checked that in FSX).

Therefore, we'll keep the Numlock and change it to suspend MCE when light comes ON in next update.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FS++ said:

and change it to suspend MCE when light comes ON in next update

are we at crossed purposes ...... your note is what it is now.

needs light on, mce (reco) on is what I asked.... thanks if so.

for now, cheers

john martin

11 hours ago, FS++ said:

By default "ScrollLock" is automatically assigned for opening and closing ATC window (checked that in FSX).

Therefore, we'll keep the Numlock and change it to suspend MCE when light comes ON in next update.

Assuming you meant "lights come OFF" here (because "ON" is as it is now):

I have completely setup my FSUIPC keys to the way MCE has always handled NUMLock. So I would very much appreciate if you would leave it as it is and not all of a sudden change it to the opposite behaviour.

Nevertheless I would also be supportive of using a different key which does not affect other key functions at all. Or make the Mute key customizable.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, vadriver said:

are we at crossed purposes ...... your note is what it is now.

needs light on, mce (reco) on is what I asked.... thanks if so.

See Ralf's post above.

He has a point.

Since you are eager to use the SCROLLLOCK key, will have MCE respond to that key as well (in addition to Numlock) instead of modifying NumLock behaviour..

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

also be supportive of using a different key which does not affect other key functions

11 hours ago, FS++ said:

He has a point.

Since you are eager to use the SCROLLLOCK key, will have MCE respond to that key as well (in addition to Numlock) instead of modifying NumLock behaviour

Gerald

From my perspective, using ScrollLock is a as I said a more palatable feature for MCE mute & it won't matter which way the "light shines".

One will need to tell default ATC uses though that ScrollLock can / may need to be deleted / changed in the sim's key assignments to avoid the conflict with open/close ATC's UI window (which as a VOXATC user I have / don't need).

Again, thanks for your help, looking forward to the update.

for now, cheers

john martin