Sign in to follow this  
Bentree_

VRI Combo Panel not connecting (merged)

FDTI support in Glasgow provided the following response:

The current 2.12.28 driver does support Windows 10.

I would however suggest that this is a hardware issue, as you mentioned the device works until the power state is changed. It is likely that this change in power state is inducing some extra EMI or noise onto the USB data lines and causing the interruption in communication.

Although it sounds like you do not have any control over the target hardware. I would suggest removing any connections through external USB hubs and using properly certified USB cables.

Another user with the same issue replaced his USB cable with a new one and reported that it solved his problem. It may also be time to go for the drastic solution of disconnecting also other USBs to see if the problem goes away (remembering to reboot P3D each time). Then add back the other devices.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Hi Andrew,

I have done everything you wrote above, no show.

After that i disconnected all USB devices and restarted with only the following:

1. Mouse

2. keyboard

3. PFC steering device

4. CH Throttle

5. Trustmaster pendula rudder

6. MCP Combo.

1 trough 5 are connected in one USB port with a unpowered USB hub and 6 (MCP Combo) directly into a PC USB slot.

All Go-Flight modules where left out.

It's still the same, no show.....but one thing changed...when i use the combo (using the VRinsight software) now pressing the LAMP button the lights come on and the MCP Combo does not disconnect from P3D or the PMDG B738.

This was not the case with a different USB cable (a thinner one), but it worked with the original USB cable VRinsight provided.

I have send you the logfiles.

regards,

Ben

Hi Ben

Thank you for the latest logs. Again they shows FSUIPC connecting the the serial port, sending a reset command (CMDRST) and then failing to receive the correct response to when it attempts 5 times to connect to the panel (using CMDCON). With out this LINDA cannot not work correctly.

You are both suffering a hardware/communication error of unknown cause. I don’t know whether this is being caused by Win10 but this is likely to be the only change to your systems. I am unable to offer any further advise or assistance. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Sorry I have not been much help. I have been doing some coding for the VRI Combo for another personal project.

This small app tests the USB serial port interface and commands. It may help pin down what is happening. There is no logging built in so you will need to record any differences from the descriptions below.

The app you will need to manually change the USB Serial Port to COM3. With Device Manager select Ports (COM&LPT)/USB Serial Port and right click to open Properties. Select Port Settings/Advanced. Select COM3 from the top dropdown.

Start the COM Port.exe app. All actions are accessed from the File menu.

• Open Port - pop up confirms port setup OK (or error if open or not available).
  • Reset Panel - Send CMDRST command to reset panel (lights flash and start up message displayed on panel).
  • Connect Panel - Sends CMDCON command to panel (display changes to Press "Fly Now").
  • Toggle Lights - toggles panel lights on/off.
  • Toggle Test = toggle panel test mode on/off. Allows you to press buttons to see response. Toggle OFF afterwards.
  • Radio Message - clears radio window and display appropriate message.
  • Close Port - closes port and prevents above commands working (reset/connect/toggle/message).

After starting the app select Open Port and then Connect Panel.

If connection to panel fails at any time, selecting Open Port should reestablish it. Only use Reset Panel and Light Test to see if the extra load/power spike is the cause of your connectivity problems. Select Radio Message to retest communication.

Let me know how you get on.

Edited by ScotFlieger

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Haha.... you just don't give up do you?

I think we all very much appreciated this and i will give it a try.

First i will now put some time into reconnecting my Go-Flight devices and label the usb cables properly. (But maybe your advice is to not do that and work with the combo with as less as other connected devices as possible)

When that is finished (today) i do want to continue with the app you propose.

Keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Ben

Well....i thought lets give it a try before i reconnect all the go-flight devices.

In the COM&LPT menu i try to change the port the MCP Combo use from Com 6 to Com 3 but it seems that COM 3 is already in use by another device.

This can not be seen in the COM&LPT menu but windows remarks this when i select to use com 3 in "properties". Windows warns me that when i continue, certain settings will change with a unknown outcome so i did not do that.

Now i am searching for a emoticon of a crying face but i failed finding it......hahahaha.

Regards,

Ben

3 minutes ago, Bentree_ said:

In the COM&LPT menu i try to change the port the MCP Combo use from Com 6 to Com 3 but it seems that COM 3 is already in use by another device.

In Device Manager View menu select Show hidden devices. All the "old" ports will be shown greyed out. Delete COM3 and try again.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hi Andrew,

Test succeeded, the panel connects...pushing the LAMP button disconnected the panel once but after a retry of the procedure the Lights came on several times (repeating that whole procedure over and over).

The radio message is funny, i like your humor.

Regards,

Ben

Thanks Ben. That is useful. The power 'spike' has an occasional effect on the connection. Did the Reset have the same effect? I will speak to my FSUIPC contact.

One must promote oneself occasionally ;))

Edited by ScotFlieger

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Can’t wait to give this a try. Also I found a cool little program which allows you to change ports of anything connnected. I will try and find it again and post the results

Andrew, the reset disconnects the MCP Combo....lights go shortly on and the panel goes back into standby mode again after that.