Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

AIO radiator placement

19 hours ago, rjfry said:

The top of my case is open mesh and the downdraft caused by the top mounted rad pulls air down over the VRM again tested with smoke, I have an R5 case with the front door removed as tested by GamersNexus resulting3-5deg cooler in his test using a temp probe 

That's the configuration JJ from Asus prefers, for the same reason, to aid in cooling the VRM's. 

All this stuff rarely makes a big difference, fans in, fans out, top mounted, front mounted, an extra fan, rarely makes more than 3 or 4 degrees difference. As I've said a number of times, in my opinion most of us over cool our PC's, even those who heavily overclock.

Twin tower, twin fan, air coolers are the same. The extra fan only aiding cooling by two degrees due to slightly higher static pressure. All those coolers out there are running with two fans unnecessarily. In fact I removed one of the fans on the D14 I gave to my son, barely any difference in cooling. 

I did a smoke test on mine 

Great trick, incense sticks work great. 😊

Edited by martin-w

22 hours ago, martin-w said:

Barely any increse in temp.

True, but there is still a slight increase. I didn't say that there's anything wrong with front-mounting the rad, just that it's not the best way to do it - even if the margins are tiny.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

5 hours ago, vortex681 said:

True, but there is still a slight increase. I didn't say that there's anything wrong with front-mounting the rad, just that it's not the best way to do it - even if the margins are tiny.

Who's W? 🙂

Well so much for trying to mount the rad in the front. NOT gonna happen. Hose is not near long enough for that. Just going to keep it up top.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

15 hours ago, turboken said:

Well so much for trying to mount the rad in the front. NOT gonna happen. Hose is not near long enough for that. Just going to keep it up top.

I recall you have the 750D too... I guess either the 750D is an ultra deep case. Or the AIO tubes are on the small side. 

here is my Fractal R6 with top mounted 360 AIO and front 2x140 AIO for GPU

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ns1ugu70p7r5rzi/Fractal R6.png?dl=0

this is an old pic one with a I9 7920X and 1x360 1x280 and 1x140 AIO cooler, now its a 8700k 1x360 on top and 2x140 AIO for the gpus and one intake fan front bottom to mix the hot air from the gpu AIO the cpu runs at 5.5ghz

Edited by westman

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

I recall you have the 750D too... I guess either the 750D is an ultra deep case. Or the AIO tubes are on the small side. 

That's correct, 750D and maybe both of those statements are true. I do however have the original H110. 4 yrs old now, no problems as of yet. (fingers crossed for no leaks). The newer version I think is H115 may have longer hoses and may reach the front.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+