Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Eliminate Jaggy Shadows?

I think whenever I turn on ground shadows I get these horrid jaggies on the planes.  Does anyone else see this?  Is there a fix?

This is with the latest XP11.30

Aerostar_2_1.png

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ryan, you can try do some search shadow fix plugin in org forum, i forgot what is real name, recently i download the file and it fix my jaggy shadow issue, it a plugin not lua script if i am not mistaken.

Muhamad Aliff

This always bugged me. 

The jaggies become worse as the sun gets lower in the sky.

Nice to know there is a work around.

Thanks for the info,  Muhamad.

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

sorry my mistake, it is lua script, not plugin, i confuse with fpm plugin. the lua script is shadow.lua in x plane forum

Muhamad Aliff

You need a beefy system. The jagged shadows are a simplification to help performance, not negligence. 

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

A good system, not a beefy system.

At least Laminar should make an option to have unjagged shadows fot those who have a good system.

Edited by Simicro

- TONY -

I don't think it's that

Ground shadows OFF the jaggies go away on the aircraft.  Ground shadows ON gives me the jaggy shadows.

Plus the machine I'm using is Linux with a 7700K and GTX 1070 ti 16gb ram

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I agree with Paul above, that what you're probably seeing is the sim trying its best to show you both ground shadows and plane shadows, and your rig just isn't able to do both equally smoothly and anti-aliased. 

Ground shadows are a major performance hog. My rig isn't enough to run them. You need seriously beefy hardware to do it, especially if you're running a monitor res higher than 1080p.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

8 hours ago, Simicro said:

A good system, not a beefy system.

At least Laminar should make an option to have unjagged shadows fot those who have a good system.

Laminar does that very well for plane exterior and cockpit shadows. But ground shadows are a whole different proposition. Look at a forest, and every tree will have its own shadow! That's a massive hit on your hardware.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

On 1/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, ryanbatcund said:

I think whenever I turn on ground shadows I get these horrid jaggies on the planes.  Does anyone else see this?  Is there a fix?

This is with the latest XP11.30

Aerostar_2_1.png

Play with your AA settings.  I maxed mine and the jaggies went away.  Also turn off ground shadows, for some reason ground shadows caused jaggies for me.

John

That's the whole point...this only happens when ground shadows are on.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

9 minutes ago, flyingcheese said:

Don't look at the plane from the outside?

Lawl

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

On 2/8/2019 at 10:49 PM, ryanbatcund said:

That's the whole point...this only happens when ground shadows are on.

Hi Ryan,

It is just speculation but maybe there is a bug indeed, or just that there is a single shadow map, therefore, when using both ground and aircraft the single shadow map has to 'bake' a wider area than when just baking the aircraft shadows alone, thus, the shadow map resolution gets lower and the jaggies show up.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)