Sign in to follow this  
Robert3512

Bundle up folks!

1 hour ago, Adrian123 said:

Took 30 minutes to unthaw with a Kerosene space heater

I just need more experience.  That's all!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

20 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I just need more experience.  That's all!

Have to work with the space and tools you have. lets hope w don't have the need for experience in the future. 😉

Edited by Adrian123

5 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Hang in there Bill.  I had a frozen pipe yesterday and it took about 8 hours to thaw it out as the high was 24.  Used a cheap hair dryer from the drug store.  Even left the water drip over night but only the cold water would work.  Last night I made sure I had both the hot and cold side dripping and had both this AM.  I once lived north of Chicago and just north of Evanston in the late 60's and my government quarters backed to Lake Michigan.  Once they said it was 50 below with the windchill off Lake Michigan. After a major snow storm too.  I had a long extension cord from the house to the car where I had a special dipstick that kept the oil warm overnight so the car would start up.  No frozen pipes though!

reminds me of an experience when I was in charge of installing a ship's propulsion trainer for the sailors at Great Lakes.  The engines / propulsion shaft were loaded by a waterbrake -- essentially a tub of water that was sloshed around by a special propeller.  The energy from the shaft was absorbed as heat, so there was a 10 or 12 inch line from the waterbrake to a cooling tower on the roof.  Over night that sucker froze up solid.  We had guys up on the roof with gas welding torches trying to unfreeze the thing.  I can tell you that frozen pipe will absorb a TON of heat.  Eventually we are able to get a trickle of flow and then the (relatively) hot water was able to do the job, but we lost a day of work.

Great Lakes in the winter is one cold place.  Back in those days we also had boot camps and service schools in Orlando and San Diego -- a bit nicer places to be.  My Dad went through boot camp at the Lakes in 42 and then aviation maintenance training at Navy Pier in Chicago -- he never forgot how cold it could be.  Fortunately his orders were to Fleet Air Wing 3 at Coco Solo in the Panama Canal Zone maintaining flying boats, so he didn't have to relive that experience until after the war.

scott s.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:15 AM, Jim Young said:

Hang in there Bill.  I had a frozen pipe yesterday and it took about 8 hours to thaw it out as the high was 24.

Well, fortunately for me, we had bright sunshine most of the day yesterday and the ambient temperature rose to a warm 36ºF. The "warmth" from the sun un-froze the shut-off valve and allowed water to begin flowing once again by late yesterday afternoon. The shut-off valve is in a cast steel housing near the sidewalk, and is about four inches below ground. Since I couldn't budge the valve, I'm fairly confident that's where the freezing occurred.

Weather forecast for the next week is calling for above freezing temperatures with some light snow beginning Wednesday and lasting through Friday.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sorry to hear that Bill.  It's only 76 at my house this afternoon and if it gets much chillier, I'm going to have to put on long sleeves. 😊

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

2 hours ago, 188AHC said:

Sorry to hear that Bill.  It's only 76 at my house this afternoon and if it gets much chillier, I'm going to have to put on long sleeves. 😊

And meanwhile, I'm the one walking around in 50-degree weather in shorts and sandals.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.