Sign in to follow this  
flytriman

Airline Operational Procedures Question

1.We recently  had a 6 hour delay once because the first officers tie pin fell into throttle quadrant. Had to get an engineer to take it apart and find it. (virgin atlantic) 

2. I've delayed a flight 4 hours because the captain split his trousers sitting down and we had to send a replacement pair up to EGPF (easyjet) 

3.Ive had to delay a flight 6 hours because the captain put all his passport, license and even the bar money in the hotel safe in the room in Inverness, when he got up early the next morning of course he'd forgotten the code and the nightporter couldn't master key into it. We had to send a lock Smith in a taxi to the hotel. (easyjet) 

4. I had to delay a flight 10 hours because a f/o came off the back of the jetski in St lucia and dislocated his knee. Had to pax another one from BGI   (virgin) 

5. I've had to delay a flight 3 hours because we sent a taxi to a captains house in Edinburgh at 5am we called him up to tell him it was a home pick up.  The guy then refused and said the taxi would wake up his 4 dogs so he refused the duty (easyjet) 

6.Ive delayed a flight 10 hours because the FSM (pursuer) on a flight fell over on a night out in Joburg and smashed her teeth up. (virgin) 

7.Ive delayed a flight 12 hours because a crew decided to go skiing in Stowe (Boston)  and lost the hire van keys on the chair lift out of his pocket. Had to call avis to send a replacement set up to Stowe. (virgin) 

8.Ive delayed countless flights because girls uniforms are at the ex boyfriends house and he won't let her have it back. (both virgin and easyjet)  this one I've must of had 20 plus times. 

9. I've had a training captain acars me half way across the Atlantic to tell me they have left their suitcase in the hotel and can we get the late crew to bring it. (virgin)

10. I'd had to delay a flight 3 hours  because the crew didn't have orange juice and a brewer in-op  .  Virgin 

I could probably give you 100 stories with ease. 

Recently I had ASRs for 'hotels not doing eggs at 0500am for breakfast' 

Another ASR for 'the new hotel couldnt do a wake up call for me, so I had to use my own alarm clock' 

I've had ASRs for lumpy pillows in crew rest. 

And you guys wonder why crew are my top of the pops 😉😃

Id say on a busy weekend in July or August we get stuff like this every hour on average.  Good innit 

Edited by tooting
  • Like 2

14ppkc-6.png

On 2/7/2019 at 9:24 AM, Chock said:

Yup. Get this one which we did last night...

Some dipstick spilled a bit off coffee on the centre pedestal of a Thomas Cook A330 which was at Shannon. So what happens? A small replacement part, which you could carry in one hand, was placed on board a Thomas Cook Airbus A321 and flown all the way there from Manchester, and then that same A321 turned around and flew straight back, empty. Yes really, a 114 million dollar 200+ seat airliner was used on a 700 mile round trip to deliver something you could fit in the side door pocket of a Cessna 172, just to replace a part which could probably have been sorted out by a quick squirt of Mister Sheen and a wipe over with a damp cloth.

You couldn't make it up, could you?

whys that EK 380,dxb-lgw   7700 into Manchester today chock ?  wind at EGKK ??  im guessing

O5idPDR.png

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

5 hours ago, tooting said:

whys that EK 380,dxb-lgw   7700 into Manchester today chock ?  wind at EGKK ??  im guessing

Yup, it couldn't get into Gatwick because of the wind warnings in place in Southern England. It had a few tries, but eventually decided to divert to Manchester. The 7700 squawk is because it would want priority for an approach, having burned off a fair bit of fuel in taking a couple of tries at Gatwick then having to go up to Manchester. It probably still had enough fuel to not be a worry, it's simply prudent to be on the radar scope with a desire to be not put at the back of a queue when on reserve fuel.

Manchester is probably its designated alternate for that flight because it's far enough away from Gatwick to mean the weather will be different. Manchester does handle Emirates 380s, although currently because of construction work in progress, it only has two stands which can fir them on, those being 62 and 12 if I recall correctly, it changes around a bit what with all the building work there is on taxiways and stuff in preparation for the new terminal.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here