Sign in to follow this  
sloppysmusic

Random 777 FCOM Fact Of The Day...

Reading the FCOM material is always enlightening, once you get over the gargantuan task in the first place. Trust me it's worth it. So many ways to understand the inner workings of the plane and the equipment may be found within.
I thought I'd share something important I learned today:
FCOM 2

777 Air Systems
Air Distribution
Passenger:
"The flight deck is maintained at a slightly higher pressure than the passenger cabin to prevent smoke and objectionable odors from entering the flight deck."

I always wondered if when on approach someone in business class had IBS whether the pilots would be able to maintain control in between gagging from the results of said objectionable human bleed valves opening.
I now know they are protected by science. I feel even safer trusting my travel and safety in this airplane!

• Like 1

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

11 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

The flight deck is maintained at a slightly higher pressure than the passenger cabin to prevent smoke and objectionable odors from entering the flight deck."

I always wondered if when on approach someone in business class had IBS whether the pilots would be able to maintain control in between gagging from the results of said objectionable human bleed valves opening.
I now know they are protected by science. I feel even safer trusting my travel and safety in this airplane!

haha - yeah - love finding random facts.

Kyle Rodgers

25 minutes ago, lenhamlad said:

Your talking out your backside LOL.

You edited that,...the first version was funnier. Although just as accurate!

😄

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

We also joked how on the MD80 we smelled it even before it was ..... hmmm...... jettisoned 😉

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

8 minutes ago, xkoote said:

We also joked how on the MD80 we smelled it even before it was ..... hmmm...... jettisoned 😉

I'm not 100% sure what you mean.. And it's probably best left that way! 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

On 2/1/2019 at 10:33 AM, sloppysmusic said:

word counter

Your article is great and rewarding

The 787 flight deck is supplied with fresh un recirculated air separate from the cabin. 
The cabin System itself has a chemical filtration process called gas phase absorption which removes such offensive odours.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.