Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

Size of snowflakes?

Hello community,

is anybody aware if there's a cfg setting to adjust the size of the P3Dv4 snowflakes?

For my taste they are much too big and I want to have them a lot smaller.

Many thanks

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Günter,

to my best knowledge, rain and snow are controlled by texture files in "\Prepar3D v4\Texture\" named "rain*" and "snow*". There are some addons that replace those, making snow and rain look different, like PreciptFx (?)

Best regards

LORBY-SI

I use precipitfx and have been happy with the results.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Thanks for answering.

I have indeed Precipit, but have had enabled the ones from ENVTEX. Changed that and found the Precipit ones better, yes.

Guenter Steiner

2 hours ago, regis9 said:

I use precipitfx and have been happy with the results.

Any sort of performance hit associated with PrecipitFx...??

6 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Any sort of performance hit associated with PrecipitFx...??

No. In fact I think it's better.

Nothing that I’ve noticed.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

thanks for the hint.

In my PrecipParticle.fx is the line:

//Control how long streaks face and how big they are.
    float height = cb_fQuadSize * cb_fQuadSizeHeightScale / (2.4 - (cb_uPrecipType * 1.65));
    float width = cb_fQuadSize * cb_fQuadSizeWidthScale / (1.0 - (cb_uPrecipType * 0.25));

I don't know if it changed meanwhile by LM or a tools (EnvShade, EnvTex or Precipit)?

Changed it now to 

//Control how long streaks face and how big they are.
    float height = cb_fQuadSize * cb_fQuadSizeHeightScale / (4.4 - (cb_uPrecipType * 1.65));
    float width = cb_fQuadSize * cb_fQuadSizeWidthScale / (3.0 - (cb_uPrecipType * 0.25));

and is also better.

That was exactly what I've searched for! thanks!

Guenter Steiner

Just Checking,

Will these adjustments change height/width of both Rain and Snow effects?

I’ll experiment when I get home but this sounds like a great tweak.

thx

IM

Hi,

so it is a shader mod? That is good to know, thanks!!

Best regards

LORBY-SI