When you guys upgrade mobo,  CPU,  and memory do you have to reinstall Windows or does the computer boot right up? 

Jim

CYWG

If you check out MS they have instructions on how to upgrade your PC from the MS perspective. Basically you log on to MS with your new hardware (and old software) and tell them you have upgraded your old PC, MS will then transfer the software licence from you old PC to your new one. I am sorry that I cannot remember the exact MS paper but a net search should find the MS instructions for upgrading.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

The only problem with doing this is that you must subsequently remove any drivers specific to the old hardware and replace them with the appropriate drivers for the new parts. Failure to do so could make your new components run much less efficiently than they ought to. I always view a major hardware update as the perfect opportunity to have a fresh installation of the OS with drivers which are definitely the correct ones for the hardware.

Edited by vortex681
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

When changing the motherboard and/or C drive, that's when I do a complete reinstall of Windows.  Upgrading RAM or video card, adding additional drives, and often an upgraded CPU do not require a fresh install of Windows.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:03 PM, jagabom said:

When you guys upgrade mobo,  CPU,  and memory do you have to reinstall Windows or does the computer boot right up? 

Jim

CYWG

There's no need to reinstall Windows. You have to make sure you uninstall all old motherboard software though, and then install the new software after the upgrade.

As Vortex said though, it is a good opportunity for a nice new, fresh install of the OS.

Edited by martin-w